WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Orion Watches - Upcoming Pre-order and Discussion!

19K views 183 replies 67 participants last post by  crappysurfer 
#1 ·
Some of you may know and already follow forum member, Seiko Modder, Nick (from Watches by Nick).

He is expanding from his modding work into a new microbrand (Orion), and with that, a new watch! Called the Orion:1. I thought it might be of interest to many here in the Affordables forum, but who may not know of Nick from the Seiko forums. Thought this could be a place for discussion on his upcoming model.

More info can be found at his website, and he provides updates via his blog:

Orion

Watches by Nick Blog

Currently he has received the prototypes, as can be seen below. A few changes appear to be set for the final version (position of lug holes being one of them. Also, he has mentioned custom straps, and the possibility of an Oyster bracelet to fit.

Some specs:
- Approx. 40mm
- 20mm Lug width, Approx. 49mm lug-lug
- Drilled lugs
- 100m WR (with screw-down crown)
- Domed Sapphire crystal with blue AR
- Seiko NH35 movement

Anyways, onto some pics!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Fashion accessory Analog watch Close-up Metal

See less See more
#3 ·
Gorgeous. I love the mixed color second indices in the first image and the damasko-esque quadsection of the dial. I'm also a huge fan of the NH-35, the less-sexy-equally-reliable version of the ever-haute Miyota 9015.

Offer a version with a yellow or light blue seconds hand and I might be forced to pre-order

#6 ·
I'd like to see the back side, looks like the crown may be lower than the caseback. Also a bit thick for my tastes nowadays. Nice looking though.

#17 ·
Yep. I think that plays into the odd proportions issue. The hands are very delicate and the dial doesn't quite seem sure whether it should be a tool or more dressy.

38mm is a no-go for me anyway, so not a lost sale. I like some of the details though and hope he carries forward into designs that integrate all the parts to (IMHO) better effect... and in a sizing that I might consider.

#12 ·
The case shape took a bit of it's inspiration from the Omega Admiralty, regarding the long lugs and crown guards.

I personally love the case shape (hence trying to bring more attention to the watch), but understand it might not be for everyone. Despite the long lugs, they curve downwards significantly. Nick had posted a wrist shot somewhere previously (Instagram potentially), and it looked to wear really nicely.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

#13 ·
I like it.

I like the clean lines, the big crown, and the uncluttered, well-proportioned dial. Sorting out the lug holes position should be easy enough.

I've met Nick twice at GTG's, the most recent one just last week, and he strikes me as a solid dude, with a clear passion for his craft.

I spent some time speaking with Nick about the design - his inspirations, its intent, etc. It seems like it should check a lot of boxes for a lot of people:

Basic Black? Check.

No date? Check.

Moderately sized? Check.

Reasonably well-spec'd? Check.

Reasonably priced? Check.

The Omega influence may not be readily apparent, but it's not meant to be an 'homage' in the usual sense. It's there in the little details - the crown guards, the little touches of color, and the basic case geometry.

It's meant to be a versatile tool watch, but not so toolish that it can't be dressed up. Seems like that's exactly what it is, and makes a viable alternative to people who might otherwise look at a Hamilton Khaki, Smiths Everest or other watches in that vein.

I hope he does well with it.

#15 ·
I like this. Remember reading about him on GearPatrol. Curious to see how this develops and will be following.

#18 ·
Love the dial and hands. Like the case - it's certainly interesting and doesn't play it too safe. There is a little bit of the Longines Conquest in there for me, with the sizeable crown guards on a modestly sized case. Not 100% sold on the combination of dial and case, but definitely interested enough to keep my eye on this.

Good luck Nick!

#22 ·
Hey folks! Nick here, I just wanted to chime in and explain some things. The measurements may look strange on paper and the watch may look unconventional in pictures (and it kind of is) but in person it's absolutely gorgeous, I'll do my best to convey that.

In regards to the measurements, the case (not including the crown) is 38mm. Including the crown (which I think is a better measurement because of the crown and crown guard design) is 41mm. Now 38mm isn't a typically a big watch, the Orion: 1 has 49mm lug tip - tip measurement, which sounds big but it's actually close to a Hamilton Khaki. The modest case diameter and the long lugs, aside from being a stylistic choice I was going for, also allows for lots of different wrist sizes to wear this watch comfortably. I think this is really cool. There are a lot of smaller dressy watches that look kind of comical on larger, or even 6.5" wrists. Then, folks with tiny wrists (like me, I'm hardly at 6") struggle to wear a lot of modern watches because of their size.

Right now, I wear a vintage Tudor Oysterdate frequently. It's a nice watch, but since it's vintage and old it can't take advantage of modern watch technology and materials. I do like dressy watches for everyday wear, I suspect other people do too. Though, my everyday might include gardening, rock climbing or swimming. I want to wear my watch for all of that, I don't like going without a watch, I don't like G-Shocks, I don't like having to find a safe place for my Oysterdate.

The Orion: 1 is tough enough to do pretty much everything even the slightly non-average person may do during their day. It also looks dressy and clean while doing it. It's water proof for even reasonable snorkeling (I mean if you're diving beyond 300ft you're using a dive computer, not a dive watch). The crown is big and fun, not to mention easy and tactile operation. A lot of though from a lot of people when into this watch, I can only say I spearheaded this project, the result is from the collaboration and insights of many people.

Anywho, I'll be checking in to answer questions and update things. Here's a wrist shot of it on my wrist, though I'm definitely at the end of a bellcurve with my hardly 6" wrists.

#27 ·
Maybe the crosshair could be left out. Seems like the slim hands get a bit less legible because of it. The hands could be thicker.

The crown guards seem a weird shape on the inside because of the big crown. Might look better without crown guards.

Would rather have anything other than a 4R movement in it. Would rather have a decent quartz than a 4R. I would pay a fair bit more for a more desirable movement.

I still like it but wouldn't buy it as is.

#28 ·
Very nice. I might consider a pre order (first timer here)

Reactions: crappysurfer
#29 ·
Appreciate all the input folks, though the current design is set in stone, no single watch will satisfy everyone's preferences and that's totally fine. The only small changes that will be happening are to the positions of the lug holes and the lume. I have chosen the NH35 because I personally have determined it to be the best quality movement at this price range, which is based on my experience of taking apart and rebuilding various movements. It's reliable/accurate and its analogs are in many very popular and prolific watches. In regards to quartz movements-I know to never say never but I don't foresee the Orion line ever using a quartz mov't....Unless some really cool tuning forks become available.

Working on some strap choices for it right now, the current plan is to include an exclusive NATO with each watch that will come stock on a black leather strap>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.