Thread: Picard & Cie???

Picard & Cie???

Sorry to bombard you guys with questions, but here's another one. I was looking for a seiko, and somehow came up with a Picard & Cie. It says it has a seiko movement in it, but otherwise how is it different. Looks a lot like any other seiko Ive seen, is it just a difference in the branding? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Picard & Cie???

Quote Originally Posted by bjones2571 View Post
    Sorry to bombard you guys with questions, but here's another one. I was looking for a seiko, and somehow came up with a Picard & Cie. It says it has a seiko movement in it, but otherwise how is it different. Looks a lot like any other seiko Ive seen, is it just a difference in the branding? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Not a difference in branding - its someone who has -supposedly- purchased a Seiko movement and built a watch. Many companies do not produce their own movements - such as Breitling for example - and merely put jewelry around someone elses movement (say a B53 with an Eta 251.262 movement for a couple of $k or you could buy the Eta 251.262 movement in a Victorinox V-7X-22 for oh...$39.99). Completely normal but that does not mean that it is a Seiko in fit, finish, or warranty.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Thanks Docrwm... Have you ever heard of the brand, the MSRPs are around $1500, yet the watch was selling for mid $200... I always find that to be suspect

Quote Originally Posted by bjones2571 View Post
    Thanks Docrwm... Have you ever heard of the brand, the MSRPs are around $1500, yet the watch was selling for mid $200... I always find that to be suspect

That's a common ebay practice among bogus brands.
    When I see ridiculous "retail" vs. "buy it now" prices I just move on.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Thanks Tragic, I think Im going to. What do they say, "If its too good to be true, it probably is..."

I've had my eye on one of their chronos for a while now. The one I'm looking at seems to go for around $200. I'm waiting until I can score it for $100 or so.

Picard & Cie is one of the family of brands marketed out of Carrolton, Texas that includes Louis Bolle, S. U. G. and Rousseau. The webpage for each brand has a rambling story of some Swiss watch maker from the dim shadows of human memory. The focus is on the Swiss heritage of the brand's name to give the impression that it is a Swiss watch without actually stating so.

A few WUS members have bought some of these brands at reasonable prices - usually under $100. They have generally been satisfied with the value at that price point.

The brands are almost always listed for auction at ubid.com. You can reach it through the Louis Bolle banner ad at the top of most forum pages.

Lee Meister
    Moderator - Tissot & Affordables
    Houston, Texas

What a long, strange trip it's been... - The Grateful Dead

Thread Information