Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By gslaskin

Thread: Seiko Sports 100 A914-5000 LCD Circa 1984

Seiko Sports 100 A914-5000 LCD Circa 1984

I recently picked up a Seiko A914-5000 from the mid ‘80s as part of a lot of junk watches. Something about this era of LCD digital watches from Seiko (and the better ones from Casio) has always intrigued me. The style and function as well as the incredible longevity of these pieces are pretty incredible. I am grooving on this watch right now much more than I probably should. This is just a junk watch right? But I am just as tickled about this new to me vintage digital as getting a new Rolex that costs thousands. The depth of quality of this piece has really impressed me. It is interesting how I don't really seem to come to a full judgment on a watch until I integrate it into my normal, everyday life and spend a day or few with it on my wrist - In the office. Today I wore the watch all day and enjoyed the whole throwback tool watch experience.

This Seiko A914 is ultra-simple and modest. Basically, it is the same size and a similar form factor to a cheap, basic, black plastic Casio like the F-91W. Except without the plastic. Instead, the simple time, day, chrono,alarm module is housed in a higher quality stainless steel, screw back case with conventional 20mm lugs. So it has all the endearing qualities of a basic, unassuming digital watch with more versatility and long term durability. The stainless case gives it a slightly more dressy, office appropriate look. And not having any resin to degrade and break or crumble over time ensures that it will last. Certainly it already has. For decades. And the 20mm lugs mean you can wear it on resin, a bracelet, or as I prefer, on a wide selection of nylon. I even think you could get away with putting this watch on the right leather strap. Digital on leather? I think so.
    The classic square shape of this piece and its subtle, retro graphics really endow this lovely piece with a jaunty verve. The red "SPORTS 100" text at the bottom of the grey/black display surround actually reminds me of the red text at the bottom of a Rolex Submariner 1680 dial. (Sacrilege!)
    A perfect example of the wristwatch as a humble, capable and noble servant. This watch has proved its lasting value. It is imbued with a depth of quality evident in its decades of loyal service without the need for much other than new straps and batteries. And you can pick one up for only tens of dollars. Amazing.
    My friend Dave summed it up succinctly: “In a WIS world that tells us we"need" a multi-thousand dollar watch, this is the ultimate piece of contrarian evidence. The fundamental goodness of an inherently righteous watch is not correlated to its price tag.” So true.
    Last edited by gslaskin; July 23rd, 2013 at 05:22.

Re: Seiko Sports 100 A914-5000 LCD Circa 1984

Congrats on your new watch. It's not how much it costs that matters, but how much you love it. I can appreciate the retro geek chic of it. Wear it in good health.
    ~Alex

ARAMAR l AMPHIBIA l BULOVA l CASIO l CONCORD l GRUEN l HALIOS l HMT l JAEGER LECOULTR l KEMMNER l LEW & HUEY l MAGRETTE l OMEGA l PARNIS l POLJOT l RODINA l ROLEX l SEIKO l SHINOLA l STEINHART l TOURNEAU

congrats! I recently picked up something similar: A128-5010. There is something irresistable in those simple digitals from 80-ies.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Great watch, and I loved the review. You've done the watch world a good deed by restoring this piece to dignified and useful service. I'm glad there are those like you out there looking to rescue the lost, wandering puppies that need help. Congratulations, and kudos, friend!

Great watch! I've long sung the praises of retro digitals, glad to see another believer!

A splendid review.A wonderful watch.Thanks for sharing the quality.

I keep trying to get a nice ss digital watch so far unsuccessfuly .The closest I have come is a TIMEX SSQ with a base metal case but in great shape like it waited around for me in ambush after I gave it away because the strap was too small.Well, it caught me and now resides on a bund strap from FOSSIL.It's like it knew I would become a WIS.It's kinda creepy.Stalked by a watch. Shudders.---Good catch you have a very nice watch there.---- Others may want to check out some of the digital and LCD watches on DX TINYdeal and MiniIn the box they have some nice designs.
    Last edited by James Haury; July 23rd, 2013 at 17:45. Reason: Can we get a Terrified Icon?

Thread Information