Thread: Similar to Rolex!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar to Rolex!?

Hey guys, this is my first post here so I hope that I'm in the right area.

ok so i'm about to start my freshman year in college and i want to start a watch collection. i've been looking into watches for a while and i actually have a couple really nice ones. but i really want something similar to the rolex explorer. so can anyone reccommend an affordable watch similar to the explorer!? any suggestions would be great. -thanks

Re: Similar to Rolex!?

Alpha makes an Explorer II homage. alpha-watch.com
    Rolex Submariner Date
    Vintage Bulova Accutron Railroad
    Obris Morgan Explorer
    Vostok Black Scuba Dude
    Doxa 1200T Pro
    Freestyle Shark Classic

Try alpha and the Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor. Congrats on starting a collection, I started mine summer of my Freshman year and in 2 years I have compiled 15+ pieces. Be careful with your money.

Chinese Mechanical Watches / Moderator AlbertaTime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamchristian View Post
    Hey guys, this is my first post here so I hope that I'm in the right area.

ok so i'm about to start my freshman year in college and i want to start a watch collection. i've been looking into watches for a while and i actually have a couple really nice ones. but i really want something similar to the rolex explorer. so can anyone reccommend an affordable watch similar to the explorer!? any suggestions would be great. -thanks
    Welcome to WatchuSeek!

The search function here at WUS is really good. I did one for you and foound this thread: "An Affordable real Explorer watch?"

Lots of good suggestions.

Keep us posted on your search, too. We're mostly all dedicated enablers here, so we care

Photos are always good.

For a long time, the Explorer was a pretty small watch. There is now a large version as well. Do you know what size watches work for you? What is your budget? Do you care about whether it is an automatic or quartz?

Sandoz does one that is closer in size to the classic explorer.

The MKII Vantage is one of the most highly regarded of the similar watches.

The Seiko SARB line are also fantastic quality and f&f options, although they have fairly different dial designs from the Rolex.

Sottomarino does quartz ones with some different dial colors.

Finally, the cheapest automatic option is probably a Chinese "sterile" (no brand markings) from wenping1970.com.
    (create a login to see the actual price)
    All that glitters isn't chrome.

-

my watches: Christopher Ward - Orient - Enicar vintage watches - Wenger - Seiko 5 - Orient Star - DOXA (vintage)

Beyond size the other key questions are:
    What does affordable mean to you?
    What in particular appeals.to you about the Explorer (nice choice btw!)? At first glance it doesn't look much like it, but to my mind one of the best homages to the Explorer is the Seiko Alpinist SARB017.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Isnt the rolex explorer just arabic numerals + indices? Thats probably one of the most common dial designs ever...

+1 on the MKII Vantage suggestion.
    It is on my short list as well (and would prefer either a Tudor Ranger or Rolex Explorer, but both are a bit overpriced in my view. Especially considering that the Tudor Rangers out there are mainly Tudor Oyster Dates that have been re-furbished with a new dial.
    Quote Originally Posted by ckot View Post
    The MKII Vantage is one of the most highly regarded of the similar watches.

Quote Originally Posted by IanC View Post
    Isnt the rolex explorer just arabic numerals + indices? Thats probably one of the most common dial designs ever...
    No it is a bit more than that. It got a few special design points that make it stand out from other "just arabic numerals and indices"..
    If your statement was true, it could be applied to just about any other design out there?

They say the devil is in the detail, and particularly with watches I believe this to be true. It is the small details that make the difference between a design classic and "just another watch"..

Just my 2 cents of course

What are those special design points then? I'm looking at the picture of it on the rolex site but i don't see anything special...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information