Thread: Stauer Eremos - who else makes it?

Stauer Eremos - who else makes it?

Just got my Stauer catalog in the mail yesterday. The see-thru bridge style watch they have is almost the same as Eyki's bridge watch, but the Eyki is under 1/2 the price!

Being a myth brand (or mushroom, or whatever), chances are someone else has one of just about everything Stauer sells, for cheaper.

Question - has anyone seen a "regualtor" (as they call it) watch like this? They want almost $200 for it, and I'm not going to pay that. I am interested in the design, though.

(Pic from Stauer's site):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Stauer Eremos - who else makes it?

The design does look interesting. Worth some more research as to which Chinese manufacturer has one like it. A quick search through old forum posts shows that Perpetual has made a Regulator with similar dimensions for quite a while. It's hard to tell from the Stauer photo which movement they are using, but it seems the one in the Perpetual is Sea-Gull ST-1711. The odd thing is that the Stauer is missing the center hand, which should be minutes, and the hour hand (2-sided to look like flyback) is centered, unlike the offset hour of the 1711. If they put minutes at the bottom, with no seconds, then it is far from a "precision device." Makes me think it's a frankenmovement. Someone like Chascomm, Gigfy or AT might know more about this. Stauer's blurb for this watch is even more of an assault on our intelligence than most.

I quote:

"Take a good look. If you don't, you might miss this extraordinary watch forever. Designed using one of the most complex movements of all time, the Stauer Eremos is a regulator timepiece the likes of which you might never see again. That is, unless you decide to put one on your wrist.

Let's get to the heart of the matter. This is one of the only watches on the market today based on the highly-sought-after observatory clocks of the 1800s which became amazingly precise by separating the hour and minute dials on the face. Stauer took a cue from those incredible machines and engineered what is essentially a miniaturized regulator. Other watch companies don't even attempt to make regulators. But it was a challenge we were happy to face to get results this attractive. Still, due to the complexity of the movement, we can't be sure how many we will produce..."

I don't think I could have come up with a parody as funny as that.
    Last edited by skywatch; July 7th, 2011 at 17:15. Reason: found Perpetual movement spec
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

You should read the rest of the blah they write in every catalog!

Even before I knew about myth brands, I knew their ad copy was a quite a bit over the top. I do believe every "limited watch" is limited to 15 million pieces. So get yours now!

The bottom hand is minutes, the center (two-sided, as you said) hour hand is attached to a sun/moon dial. No seconds hand. I can't find any pics of the movement online, but it's interesting. Around the balance (backside) is a 'hoop' that appears to be the regulating arm, rather than just a dongle hanging out there. It's a pretty movement. I'd bite on one if I can find it for the price of an Eyki. (like $35 or 40)
    Last edited by twall; July 7th, 2011 at 20:09.

Stauer might be big enough to have custom complications built. The mechanics to create this separation of the hour and minute and retrograde hour could sit on any number of movements.

Perrelet does a regulator with a similar retrograde hour and lower minutes dial, but it has pointer date and seconds hand in the middle.
    All that glitters isn't chrome.

-

my watches: Christopher Ward - Orient - Enicar vintage watches - Wenger - Seiko 5 - Orient Star - DOXA (vintage)

You've probably already seen them, but if you're looking for another skeleton bridge watch, there is a Germasian brand called M. Johansson that has some on ebay.

First, thank you for this discussion of the Stauer Eremos watch, the only non-commercial discussion of the watch I could find.

Question: Does the Stauer Eremos feature a retrograde movement?

Answer: No.

The person that supplied the answer threw me a little by calling the hour hand "double sided", I would think of it as "double-ended". Nevertheless, that was the clue.

If you are willing to fork over $200, there's a nice one here: Amazon.com: Bossart Watch Co. Evidence BW-0811-GBI Regulator for Him Regulator Watch: Watches

BTW, I also agree about not wanting to spend a lot of money. But recently I realised that one cannot get a really good watch for under 4-figures. Definitely not in the case of a jump hour watch. I bought the Alpha jump hour and it can't even be read under most conditions. I am also interested in single-hand watches: look at Meistersinger and then compare the alternatives.

This is actually called a Skelette.....at least when I bought it from HSN. It was only $130....$200 seems like a rip I sold mine, worn about twice, for about $75.

Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Thread Information