Like Tree1Likes

Thread: sterile Parnis Submariner "homage" with ETA movement - real or not?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question sterile Parnis Submariner "homage" with ETA movement - real or not?

hi all,

I am looking into purchasing a Parnis Submariner with what is advertised as a ETA 2836 movement. However, I have read from many very reliable sources that Swatch has essentially shut down sales of all ETA movements to manufacturers that are not within the swatch group.

So, my question is, how do I really know if I am really getting a genuine ETA movement, or if it is a equivalent Seagull movement with a greatly inflated price? I would hate to purchase the watch and have to remove the caseback to really validate, and if the movement is not a genuine ETA movement, fight for a refund.

Thank you very much for your assistance!
    Steven
    Steinhart Ocean One GMT "Pepsi" / Hamilton Field Chronograph / Maratac Mid Pilot / Poljot Strela / Seagull 1963 Re-Issue / Orient EV0S004B / Vostock Amphibia / Helenarou Sterile Sub

Re: sterile Parnis Submariner "homage" with ETA movement - real or not?

I don't think Swatch would sell their movements to Chinese watch makers... especially one that uses "cloned" movements on their catalogued models, like PARNIS.
    Able to share the advertisement you saw that claims "ETA Movement used"?

I saw these on eBay the other day, and it's really hard to say because there are no pictures of the movement of the watch. (I'm assuming this is the watch you're talking about) If there were photos of the movement it'd be much easier to make a judgement on the validity of the movement. However, seeing as how they're starting their auction at $.99 I'm going to say not real, and that I've been conned my Chinese sellers selling watches that sound too good to be true. So I would be leery of these sellers.

Here's one that I found on the Bay:

014 PARNIS 40MM CERAMIC BEZEL GMT SWISS ETA 2836 AUTO | eBay

I'd just buy one from Helenarou. Good seller.

40mm size watch
    -Ed-

Definitely NOT ETA!
    A basic 2824 auto would now cost close to 100USD if i'm not wrong. Other auto variants will surely cost more!

Firstly ETA has not stopped sale of movements. They just stopped selling ebauches, and stop selling at discounted prices to other manufacturers.
    You can still source ETA movements however you just pay retail price.

Chances are high that it is a fake 2836-2.
    Helenarou's pictures should be checked out to see if they are real ETA or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AsAnAtheist View Post
    Firstly ETA has not stopped sale of movements. They just stopped selling ebauches, and stop selling at discounted prices to other manufacturers.
    You can still source ETA movements however you just pay retail price.

Chances are high that it is a fake 2836-2.
    Helenarou's pictures should be checked out to see if they are real ETA or not.
    Movement
    -Ed-

here is the link that I found the watch at (it wasn't on the Bay), not sure if the moderator will remove it or not.

PARNIS 40MM CERAMIC BEZEL SS SUBMARINER SWISS ETA2 - PARNIS SWISS MOVEMENT WATCH - Parnis watch station

So, it seems that the consensus so far is that anything that is represented as a genuine ETA movement has a high probabilty of being a fake?

I want to be very clear and say that I have nothing against buying a watch with a Seagull movement (I am wearing a 1963 re-issue right now). I do have a slight problem with buying something in good faith that turns out to be a fake :).

Maybe I should just forgo any watches that claim to have an ETA movement, just to be safe?

Thanks for the replies so far..

Kind regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by steven.w42; April 18th, 2012 at 19:29.
    Steinhart Ocean One GMT "Pepsi" / Hamilton Field Chronograph / Maratac Mid Pilot / Poljot Strela / Seagull 1963 Re-Issue / Orient EV0S004B / Vostock Amphibia / Helenarou Sterile Sub

Quote Originally Posted by steven.w42 View Post
    here is the link that I found the watch at (it wasn't on the Bay), not sure if the moderator will remove it or not.

PARNIS 40MM CERAMIC BEZEL SS SUBMARINER SWISS ETA2 - PARNIS SWISS MOVEMENT WATCH - Parnis watch station

So, it seems that the consensus so far is that anything that is represented as a genuine ETA movement has a high probabilty of being a fake?

I want to be very clear and say that I have nothing against buying a watch with a Seagull movement (I am wearing a 1963 re-issue right now). I do have a slight problem with buying something in good faith that turns out to be a fake :).

Maybe I should just forgo any watches that claim to have an ETA movement, just to be safe?

Thanks for the replies so far..

Kind regards,
    Steven
    I wouldn't assume they are fakes. Your link is about the same price as the link I posted: STERILE SUBMARINER DIVING WATCH with CERAMIC BEZEL and SWISS ETA 2836

Here are pictures of the watch from Helenarou: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

I am not an expert on movements, but there are enough pictures for someone to tell if it is a fake. I honestly don't think it is.
    -Ed-

Econdreras,
    There are many fake ETA movements made in China. Without someone from the forums buying one and posting pictures I cannot frankly say those are genuine. After all for all we know he may have ripped the pictures off from some place, so comparing pictures and claiming authenticity is out without a 3rd party member involved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information