WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Subjectivity: Best value in *Your* Collection

9K views 60 replies 50 participants last post by  zekeryan56 
#1 ·
The term "value" is a totally subjective term - it can mean a lot of different things. Potentially a different meaning for every person on earth, if you really get picky with it.

So I was browsing the bay and saw a couple of watches that caught my attention in the $100 range. Which got me to thinking about the watches in my collection that I got for around the same price point, and I immediately thought, "Well, I don't like these as much as what I already have for that money... pass." This had nothing to do with the "worth" of what I saw, but was a judgment of value to me.

My thought process continued down that path, and now I'm here thinking out loud and asking the question: What watch in your collection represents the most value to you? You know "dat feel when" you put on a watch that, in your estimation, you got for a song and book of matches? Or perhaps you got a luxury piece worth tens of thousands but spent far less (so, not affordable, but still a "value"?) Or did you get a fixer-upper for a wink and a smile that turned out great? What about Sentimental Value?

Or maybe it's just a matter of taste at a particular price point, like I describe above.

To Be Clear: I am not looking for a standard f71 answer here (Seiko/Orient/Citizen/whatever is the best bang for the buck because...) I'm asking you to put on the you-colored-glasses and smile over the best value that you own, for whatever reason, and for however "value" is defined for you.

My collection is large enough that I'm still thinking about my own answer, but I'm casually intrigued by the question and am interested to see what the denizens of f71 have to say while I ponder on it. Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
I suppose my Alpinist because it makes me Grin every time I look at it :-d

It was also my first "Big" purchase (Over $100) and paved the way for future purchases in the upper affordable end of the spectrum because it proved to me that it is in fact worth it to get a watch over $400 USD :-!

#5 ·
I may change change/update my answer after thinking about it some more, but for now I think I'll answer with this Seiko SSB005.

I got it for $26 on clearance at Kohl's. I just love the way it looks and feels, I really like that mechanical-style "snap back instantly to zero" chrono movement, and it really makes me grin every time I put it on.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

#9 · (Edited)
Without question it's my new Gruppo Gamma. I have been searching for a non-replica "pam homage" for at least two years. My ideal requirements were no seconds, no crown guard, no date, at least 44mm polished cushion case, 3-6-9-12 layout with pam like numbers, domed sapphire crystal and no Chinese movement. Had my eye on the Dievas Vintage 3646 or Precista PRS-20 Italian, but couldn't see myself spending $600-800 right now ('specially since the wife couldn't see it either). Talked to a couple of custom builders, but never could get anything worked out.

Then I stumbled onto a post about Gruppo Gamma in the "Best Pam Homage" thread and looked them up. While most of their pieces use Seagull movements and mineral glass, they were getting ready to release a limited edition with Miyota 8215 and domed sapphire to current Gruppo Gamma owners for $310. It ticked all the boxes for me and I knew I had to have it. After I enquired with the owner about the watch, he was kind enough to offer to include me in the group to whom the first batch was released. It was released on March 31 and by April 3rd it was on my wrist.

All I can say is great watch, great deal, great company, great people.

Attachments

#13 ·
Without question it's my new Gruppo Gamma. I have been searching for a non-replica "pam homage" for at least two years. My ideal requirements were no seconds, no crown guard, no date, at least 44mm polished cushion case, 3-6-9-12 layout with pam like numbers, domed sapphire crystal and no Chinese movement. Had my eye on the Dievas Vintage 3646 or Precista PRS-20 Italian, but couldn't see myself spending $600-800 right now ('specially since the wife couldn't see it either). Talked to a couple of custom builders, but never could get anything worked out.

Then I stumbled onto a post about Gruppo Gamma in the "Best Pam Homage" thread and looked them up. While most of their pieces use Seagull movements and mineral glass, they were getting ready to release a limited edition with Miyota 8215 and domed sapphire to current Gruppo Gamma owners for $310. It ticked all the boxes for me and I knew I had to have it. After I enquired with the owner about the watch, he was kind enough to offer to include me in the group to whom the first batch was released. It was released on March 31 and by April 3rd it was on my wrist.

All I can say is great watch, great deal, great company, great people.
One hell of a watch there. I prefer their Cali Dials, but it's CLOSED FOR PREORDERS! Sighhh.....

#10 ·
As odd as it seems since it's not quite an affordable, I'd say my best value is my Doxa 1200T NUMA. It's $2400 SRP which sells from Doxa for $1800 which I paid $1400 for but it only really cost me about $800 taking into account the profit I made on the watches I flipped for it and I've worn it over 20 times in the 50 or so days I've had it. Not to mention the pleasure it brings me owning it since it was a grail. I call that great value!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#14 ·
Love it! These are the kinds of answers I was hoping for. b-)

#15 · (Edited)
200m water resist, Solar and atomic = $89US, GW-2310

These GW-M850 are only $81 and also 200m water resist, solar and atomic.

As daily drivers that can take much abuse with no problem, cheap G-Shocks are unbeatable.

#16 ·
I'm tempted to say the Tissot PRC200 quartz that I picked up for a bargain price on ebay thanks to the seller's awful photos that made it difficult to make out what model it was, and made it look like it was completely scratched up. I took a bit of a punt on it, and ended up being really pleasantly surprised by the lightly used watch I received. It was my first Swiss watch too, which felt like a milestone to me at the time.

However, I think the best value I've managed to get is the Christopher Ward C5 Malvern Auto that I picked up in CW's "nearly new" sale for $345. It turned up looking absolutely brand new (still had the cellophane on front and back and no scuffs or even fingerprints anywhere to be seen) and the quality is such that it would have been a bargain at the full price, but a high quality Swiss Made auto with a classic and clean design for $345 is hard to beat.

Watch Analog watch Product White Watch accessory

(stock pic from CW website)

#17 ·
I'm pleased with the VFM of all of my watches so far. It's a large part of the enjoyment that I get from collecting watches.
I think the best example that I have is the NP4020-51A form Citizen - which I have banged on about quite a bit since joining the forum but I guess one more time won't hurt.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

I was looking for a white faced dial automatic watch and could not find an alternative that beat this at this price point.

Sapphire Crystal
100m water resistance
In house movement
Handwinding capbility
Sunburst and textured Dial
Very legible at any angle because of the mix of raised baton and numerical markers.
Solid bracelet

Only thing lacking is lume on the dial.

Bargain at $250.00

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Reactions: FrakkenPrawn
#19 · (Edited)
Spent a lot of time and money pursuing THE watch. Flipped watches, bought many variants on a theme, and generally invested a lot of time and money before I found a specific watch. Oh, it came with its own drama (lying seller and another site that doesn't allow ANY negative feedback, but conveniently doesn't tell people that fact) but once it was sorted out this specific watch ended the endless tail chasing on my part. So, value? Yes, the value is that it has given me loads of time back into my life and has saved me loads of money because I went from buying 12-15 watches a year to 3 in 3 years. Is it my least expensive? No. Was it the watch I got for the lowest Cost-to-MSRP ratio? No again. But it is still the best value in my watch box by far IMHO.

#58 ·
Spent a lot of time and money pursuing THE watch. Flipped watches, bought many variants on a theme, and generally invested a lot of time and money before I found a specific watch. ... the value is that it has given me loads of time back into my life and has saved me loads of money because I went from buying 12-15 watches a year to 3 in 3 years. Is it my least expensive? No. Was it the watch I got for the lowest Cost-to-MSRP ratio? No again. But it is still the best value in my watch box by far IMHO.

This, exactly. Had I started with this one I'd have bought only a few watches and have spent a lot less money. The best value may be the one that ticks the most boxes and has the fewest faults, regardless of price. Within reason, of course.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#21 · (Edited)
Hmmm. Great thread and a tough question to answer. I'd say for me it's my Victorinox Infantry Vintage Chrono 241520. It's one of only two automatics in my collection. This generation (the older one) retails for ~$2K and typically sells for around $1K if you can find it under MSRP. I got mine used for well under that. Was listed as being near mint, but turned out to have some fairly serious bezel rash when I received it. Despite the rash, it was still a terrific value to me. If it had been as advertised it would have been a bonified STEAL! It has an ETA 7750 movement which is keeping time at around 1 sec per day accuracy while on the wrist. The dial on this watch is magnificent; design, color (brown), texture, everything.

Overall, probably the highest quality watch I own. Add to that the great price and my love of the design and it's the best value to me.

Here are a few old pics on the OEM and another favorite strap:

#22 ·
This one. My wife bought it for me before we were married at "way more than it should have cost" at a dive shop in Key Largo. I wore it through the final couple years of a US military academy. I put the bracelet on to dress it up, NATO to dress it down. It's starting to show its age now that I have been wearing it 13 years. I never have serviced it and need to because the Miyota rotor has lost efficiency over time to the point that I now treat it as a hand-winder, but it still keeps great time. Even the gold plating look has held up really well.

#23 ·
My best value is my recently-bought 1971 Seiko.

I knew I wanted (really really wanted) an early 70s manual wind Seiko and had been looking at some King Seikos etc. Then I came across this 7000-8000. Its pretty scratched up, but it turns out that it scratches my itch nonetheless. Ebay price plus a nice strap, a new glass and a service it will have cost me just under £100

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Well under 40mm, datefree, manual, sober looks, this is going to get an awful lot of wear, so at £100 its a bargain :-!

#43 ·
My best value is my recently-bought 1971 Seiko.

I knew I wanted (really really wanted) an early 70s manual wind Seiko and had been looking at some King Seikos etc. Then I came across this 7000-8000. Its pretty scratched up, but it turns out that it scratches my itch nonetheless. Ebay price plus a nice strap, a new glass and a service it will have cost me just under £100

View attachment 1464149

Well under 40mm, datefree, manual, sober looks, this is going to get an awful lot of wear, so at £100 its a bargain :-!
Curious if you considered the Daini/Suwa debate, or just went for it based on aesthetics alone?

#24 ·
I'll try to venture a little a way from the stock f71 answer, which would probably be the Nighthawk from my collection. Steal for $200.00.
Victorinox Original Vintage.

Swiss Unitas Movement
Sapphire front and back
200m Water resistance
Great fit and finish
Applied markers and a nice sunburst dial all for around $400.00

Watch Watch accessory Wrist Analog watch Fashion accessory

Though honestly most of my collection is good bang for your buck f71 style. The khaki with sapphire front and back ETA 2824, and 100m rating for around $300.00 is another.

#25 ·
Difficult for me to say. I have flipped so many over the years. I will say these 3 only because they were rare to find (at the time) decently priced (at the time) and will never leave.
Original MPP that took me a long time to find.

Spork (got for a decent price with the seller throwing in a saphire crystal as a bonus. It's being installed currently)

Searched for this discontinued dial for quite a long time. (Currently getting a new chapter ring and bezel insert installed the it will be be complete. )

#26 ·
Difficult for me to say. I have flipped so many over the years. I will say these 3 only because they were rare to find (at the time) decently priced (at the time) and will never leave.

Searched for this discontinued dial for quite a long time. (Currently getting a new chapter ring and bezel insert installed the it will be be complete. )
All of the watches look great but I so love these Soxa mods. This is a beautiful watch!

#27 · (Edited)
I would have to say that my Fossil CH2812 is probably my best value watch, next would be my cheap chinese Suunto Vector clone.

I say the Fossil, because it really is a great looking watch. It looks great with multiple straps and even a straight end bracelet. It is not perfect by any means. It doesn't hit every marker, and it has central seconds instead of a central chronograph hand, but those things don't matter too much. It cost my $55 on the bay, pretty much new, just a few scratches on caseback.

Heres a pic, not mine since my bandwidth is up for the month and I don't feel like spending extra money just to share pictures.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Next is the Suunto Vector clone. I bought two of these for less than $9 each. I bought a yellow one, and also a black one. They keep pretty good time and are solar powered. I have had absolutely no issues with these yet. They are nice watches and I like the look of them. I would defintely buy them again. I can not say that about any other sub $20 watch.

Again, not my pic
Watch Watch accessory Strap Digital clock Dive computer

#28 ·
Got my VSA Officer for 60% of its MSRP and it happens that it was made in 2013 with fresh battery.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Cobalt blue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.