Swiss Army, Victorinox, wenger...what does it all mean????
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Swiss Army, Victorinox, wenger...what does it all mean????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Swiss Army, Victorinox, wenger...what does it all mean????

I was at a watch store yesterday to get my 6105 serviced and while looking around the sales lady was chatting about this and that. She was surprised that I knew all the "SKU" numbers for the Seiko's, 007's and stuff.
    She was telling me that the Swiss Army, Victorinox and Wenger were all completely different and were made by different companies. Granted my knowledge of Swiss watches is limited, but I was under the understanding that they were all owned by the SWATCH group. Can somebody educate me?

Re: Swiss Army, Victorinox, wenger...what does it all mean????

Well in terms of knives Victorinox and Wenger are different makes, but Victorinox bought Wenger a little while ago. I presume the same is true of watches. I think 'Swiss army' will refer to either, like knives (although the REAL swiss army knife is Victorinox ). I know Victorinox is known as 'Victorinox swiss army'. Never paid much attention to Wenger though to be honest.

Tom

I was in Switzerland recently and I didn't see one person with a knife!

I have heard all kind of stories on this, and since I collect both watches and knives, I looked into this a couple of months ago.

You have to understand that much like "Swiss Made" and "Swiss Movt", mean something different, so do "Swiss Army" and "Swiss Military" and so to do the Swiss army cross and shield, and the cross with no shield.

Victorinox has a North American and a rest of the World set up as slightly different corporations.

From the website:

Swiss Army Brands, Inc, a wholly owned subsidiary of Victorinox, AG, is the exclusive United States, Canadian and Caribbean marketer of VICTORINOX multi-tools and cutlery, SWISS ARMY timepieces, and R.H. FFORSCHNER BY VICTORINOX cutlery. It sells apparel throughout the world under the VICTORINOX trademark and has flagship retail stores in New York and Tokyo. Under license from Victorinox AG, the Company sublicenses the VICTORINOX trademark and the famous Victorinox Cross and Shield to selected manufacturers and distributors of fine products including VICTORINOX travel gear and VICTORINOX LED Lighting Gear. The company Web site is www.swissarmy.com. Swiss Army Brands, Inc. is based in Shelton, CT. “VICTORINOX,” the famous Victorinox Cross and Shield and “SWISS ARMY” are trademarks owned by Victorinox AG and its affiliates and are registered in many countries.

Effective October 1, 2007 Swiss Army timepieces will begin to convert to the brand name of Victorinox Swiss Army.

If it does not say Swiss Army, Victorinox or Victorinox Swiss Army on the dial, it is not an authentic Victorinox Swiss Army timepiece. Ours are the only timepieces authorized by the Swiss government to carry the names Swiss Army and Victorinox Swiss Army.

end quote

Wenger was a totally seperate company up until a two years ago when Victorinox bought them. Wenger watches say Swiss Military, but not swiss army and they used the red cross with no shield.

Both are quality watches but the Wenger brand was usually less expensive.

Here is an excert from the FAQ:

Do you make a line of watches under the name of Swiss Military? And if so, why can't I find them on your website?
    Victorinox Swiss Army Watch SA does not make the Swiss Military watches, a company called Wenger does. However, since summer 2005, Wenger is now part of the Victorinox family.

How do I know if I have a real Victorinox Swiss Army watch?
    Only an authentic Victorinox Swiss Army watch has the words "Victorinox Swiss Army" printed right on the dial.

end quote from FAQ

I do not believe that Swatch owns Victorinox?

So Victorinox is Swiss Army Brand, Wegner uses Swiss Military, differnt company but same owner last two years. Swatch owns 18 or 20 brands but I don't think Victorinox is one of them.

All of this or course could be wrong, but it did eat up 10 minutes of my life tthat I could have been playing with 3 new watches I got today. So I think is right.

AAWATCHES likes this.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Victronox is a parent company that owns Swiss Army and Wenger brands. Wenger owns Swiss Military.

All of them have nothing to do with swatch even thou they get movements from them (ETA is owned by Swatch).

Victronox is marketed just as "Victronox" or "Victronox Swiss Army" here in US Victronox is not known so they market their watches as "Swiss Army".

As for the general "quality and price" Wenger is below Swiss Army and Swiss Military is further down the price point.

Hope this helps.
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

We posted at the same time
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

vandice

Newer Victorinox and Wenger watches have their names spelt out in full:

Victorinox Swiss Army
    Wenger Swiss Military

Victorinox is the Original Swiss Army while Wenger is the Genuine Swiss Military.

The Swiss Army name is trademarked and protected stateside and Europe. Exclusive rights for Victorinox.

The Swiss Military though, is a different story. It's not protected stateside and/or in Canada. That's why another company, Hanowa, is able to brand its watches as Hanowa Swiss Military, with a very similar Swiss cross (straight edges instead of curved).

Both Vict and Wenger have close ties with ETA and the other Swiss movement manufacturers. They're Swiss made (i.e. assembled in Switzerland) with many components from overseas, movements excepted.

Today Swiss Army doesn't exist. Swiss army (only for American & Caraibean) has been replaced by Victorinox Swiss Army for all the World.
    If you buy a Swiss Army, your watch was made before this summer.

So SA = VSA... and the SA website is not updated.
    http://vsa-watches.blogspot.com/2007...-le-march.html

Wenger and Victorinox are two independent companies but owned by the same familiy since 2005 : Elsener Family (Ibach Ch).

Wenger and Victorinox are allowed to use Swiss Army (TM) but only wenger use Swiss Military. Swiss Military is not protected and could be used by everybody.

Today, in new collections, Victorinox Swiss Army watches are finest watch , and Wenger under (price too...).

Direct concurent of VSA (owned by Elsener Family) is Hamilton (owned by Swatch Group).

Kind regards
    Last edited by Gregory Carrez; April 14th, 2008 at 10:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Watcher View Post
    although the REAL swiss army knife is Victorinox

Actually, the real swiss army knife is Victorinox. It is Wenger as well. And that is because, before Victorinox bought Wenger, they both supplied the swiss army knife in equal quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by ghiorghyos View Post
    Actually, the real swiss army knife is Victorinox. It is Wenger as well. And that is because, before Victorinox bought Wenger, they both supplied the swiss army knife in equal quantities.
    This is correct. Indeed, in the U.S., Victorinox and Wenger are joint owners of the registered trademark "Swiss Army" for use on handtools and pocketknives. Only Victorinox makes Swiss Army watches, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information