Thread: Swiss made Vs. Swiss movt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Swiss made Vs. Swiss movt

Hi, I just wanted some verification in my belief that a watch does not have to be "swiss made" to have the swiss movt inside. For example, there is a clothing company that is real hot on the urban scene named Crooks & Castles. They are releaseing limited number of 500 ceramic watches (300 white/200 black) in the next few months. My cousin is so enamoured with the clothes and is impressed that the back of the watch says "swiss made movement." On the front however, it does not have the "swiss made" label instead is says "get paid" lol. Somebody please tell me the watch could be a piece of junk assempled in China. Here are some pics (borrowed from hypebeast.com).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Swiss made Vs. Swiss movt

Quote Originally Posted by 11wordisbond View Post
    Hi, I just wanted some verification in my belief that a watch does not have to be "swiss made" to have the swiss movt inside.
    Absolutely correct. A watch using a Swiss movement installed in a non-Swiss case is marked with "Swiss Movement" or some very similar language on the caseback. A watch marked "Swiss made" on the dial is telling you that the entire watch, including the movement, was made, assembled and inspected in Switzerland as defined by Swiss law.

I have two watches using Swiss made ETA movements in non-Swiss cases, both of them Gruens. They have turned out to be great bargains and I'm very satisfied with them. I suspect the cases and assembly were done in China but I have no way of knowing that for sure. The watches you're talking about ought to have a reliable workhorse movement. The styling, fit & finish may or may not be junky, but the movement should provide great performance.

Here's more information than you probably want to know on the Swiss Made topic:

http://www.fhs.ch/en/swissm.php

Last edited by leewmeister; July 3rd, 2007 at 20:11.

Lee Meister
    Moderator - Tissot & Affordables
    Houston, Texas

What a long, strange trip it's been... - The Grateful Dead

Appears to a reasonable explanation:

"Like Champagne, Bordeaux or Port, certain products have stringent standards (based on location or quality) that must be met before carrying a particular designation. The Swiss have several organizations to ensure the integrity and reputation of Swiss watchmakers. The accepted standard for what constitutes a Swiss-made watch is a Swiss movement, set into its case in Switzerland, by a manufacturer of Swiss origin.

A Swiss movement is defined as a movement that was assembled in Switzerland (by a Swiss-based manufacturer), and whose Swiss movement parts constitute 50% or more of a movement's total value. Movements that meet this requirement will carry a stamp (on the watch's face or back of the case) with the words "Swiss," "Swiss Made," "Swiss Quartz," "Suisse," "Produit Suisse" or "Fabrique en Suisse." The former three are the most popular in North America.

If your watch says "Swiss Movement," it means that the inside parts of the watch are Swiss, but that the case is not, therefore it cannot carry the other stamps. If the case is Swiss, but the movement is not, it will say "Swiss Case."

Source

Now, how close to Vidalia GA do Vidalia onions have to be grown to be called Vidalia onions?
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Tool watches: Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Breitling B-1, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, Omega SMP, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster

Quote Originally Posted by k7lro View Post
    Now, how close to Vidalia GA do Vidalia onions have to be grown to be called Vidalia onions?
    I think they could come from as far away as Vidalia, Louisiana!

Lee Meister
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by leewmeister View Post
    I think they could come from as far away as Vidalia, Louisiana!
    Nothing, my friend, is ever that easy.

"Beginning at a point in Laurens County where U.S. Highway 441 intersects Highway 16; thence continue southerly along U.S. Highway 441 to a point where it intersects the southern boundary of Laurens County; thence southwesterly along the border of Laurens County to a point where it intersects the county road known as Jay Bird Springs Road; thence southeasterly along Jay Bird Springs Road to a point where it intersects U.S. Highway 23; thence easterly to a point where U.S. Highway 23 intersects the western border of Telfair County; thence southwesterly following the western and southern border of Telfair County to a point where it intersects with Jeff Davis County; thence following the southern border of Jeff Davis County to a point where it intersects with the western border of Bacon County; thence southerly and easterly along the border of Bacon County to a point where it intersects Georgia State Road 32; thence easterly along Georgia State Road 32 to Seaboard Coastline Railroad; thence northeasterly along the tracks of Seaboard Coastline Railroad to a point where they intersect Long County and Liberty County; thence northwesterly and northerly along the southwestern border of Liberty County to a point where the border of Liberty County intersects the southern border of Evans County; thence northeasterly along the eastern border of Evans County to the intersection of the Bulloch County border; thence northeasterly along the Bulloch County border to a point where it intersects with the Ogeechee River; thence northerly along the main channel of the Ogeechee River to a point where it intersects with the southeastern border of Screven County; thence northeasterly along the southeasterly border of Screven County to the main channel of the Savannah River; thence northerly along the main channel of the Savannah River to a point where the northwestern boundary of Hampton County, South Carolina intersects the Savannah River; thence due west to a point where State Road 24 intersects Brannen Bridge Road; thence westerly along Brannen Bridge Road to a point where it intersects with State Road 21; thence westerly along State Road 21 to the intersection of State Road 17; thence westerly along State Road 17 to the intersection of State Road 56 and southerly to the northern border of Emanuel County; thence westerly and southerly along the border of Emanuel County to a point where it intersects the Treutlen County border; thence southerly to a point where the Truetlen County border intersects Interstate Highway 16; thence westerly to the point of beginning in Laurens County."

Dayum - I just wanted some sweet onions and a swiss watch. Why did the world have to get so complicated????!!!!!
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Tool watches: Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Breitling B-1, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, Omega SMP, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster

Quote Originally Posted by k7lro View Post
    Nothing, my friend, is ever that easy.

Well, those... Cajuns... never did care a damn about copyrights anyhow!!

Lee Meister
    Houston, Texas

One of my recent acquisitions says 'Swiss parts Thailand movement'. I read that as just 'Thailand movement'. I would rather it just said that than throwing the word 'Swiss' in to impress. If it's put together badly, what's it matter where the parts came from? As it happens it seems ok though.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

WX1

OK, hold on, hold on, now.

Lemme get this straight.

"Swiss Made" DOES mean that the entire watch -- movement, inspection, case, band/bracelet, sapphire crystal, etc. -- all of that, made in Switzerland.

"Swiss Case" mentioned on a "Swiss Made" watch -- does the qualification "Swiss Case" need to be stated on the case of a "Swiss Made" watch to ensure the case on the watch in question was manufactured/made in Switzerland (i.e., if the "Swiss Case" is not mentioned anywhere on the watch, that might mean that the case was made somewhere out of Switzerland)?

Yes, no?
    Last edited by WX1; July 3rd, 2007 at 21:17.

Lee Meister
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by leewmeister View Post
    Read this link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1181056335/

especially Poywatch's response, which deconstructs what the the relevant information on the link you posted doesn't say. I think you guys will be surprised by what the true meaning of Swiss Made really is in these modern times.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information