timex vs casio
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: timex vs casio

-->
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

timex vs casio

I think that overall timex are better watches than casios. The timex quartz analogs that I own are clearly superior to those of casio. The former have a far tighter connection between crown and hands and in general have a better fit and finish than casio analogs. Timex digitals keep better time than casio digitals and except for G shocks are better built than casios. IMO timex ironman are as well built as casio g shocks but timex in most cases are more accurate time keepers than are casios. This may be due to the fact that timex manufactures their own quartz chips and may have better quality control over them.
    Finally, casios have more stylish designs than timex but the latter did invent indiglo.

Re: timex vs casio

Quote Originally Posted by sandoz
    I think that overall timex are better watches than casios. The timex quartz analogs that I own are clearly superior to those of casio. The former have a far tighter connection between crown and hands and in general have a better fit and finish than casio analogs. Timex digitals keep better time than casio digitals and except for G shocks are better built than casios. IMO timex ironman are as well built as casio g shocks but timex in most cases are more accurate time keepers than are casios. This may be due to the fact that timex manufactures their own quartz chips and may have better quality control over them.
    Finally, casios have more stylish designs than timex but the latter did invent indiglo.
    I absolutely agree with everything that you said. In addition, Timex Flix has probably the most legible display among digital watches. Why pay an arm and a leg for some overpriced G-Shock with a tiny display and useless features when Timex produces such a practical and cost effective alternative.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    mjhogan1972@aol.com

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan
    I absolutely agree with everything that you said. In addition, Timex Flix has probably the most legible display among digital watches. Why pay an arm and a leg for some overpriced G-Shock with a tiny display and useless features when Timex produces such a practical and cost effective alternative.
    Hi Mike,

I also agree; when I'm going for a run or hitting the mountain bike, I find myself using my Timex Ironman over my G-shock, just better functions & easy operation(IMHO); I have sold most of my "G"s(my holiday fund for the kids);I look at it this way: Function/Cost ratio, a cheap Timex wins every time; G-shock does make some cool looking watches, but that 60min limit on the stopwatch & countdown(or no CD at all), has always been my deal breaker. Just my 0.02

Brad
    Brad
    Have a great day.

One thing I've liked about the Timex is that if you put the thing in night mode, the backlight comes on with each push of the button. This allowed visible switching of modes without having to push a separate light button or counting beeps to know which mode you are in. Also you can set the time or alarm or run the chrono and have the light working while you are doing it. Something that is much harder on the G-shocks. If I really needed a watch to wear in a physically demanding environment I would choose G-shock, but like the others have said, when you just need a featureful, easy to use countdown timer or stopwatch, the Timex is quicker and easier to use most of the time. One downside I find with the Timex is in some cases the buttons are too easy to push, and I really would like to see the time in stopwatch and countdown mode. The Timex alarms are loud enough to wake me unless I'm dead tired, whereas the Casio's are not as loud.

Accuracy, I haven't seen either one be decidedly more accurate. I've seen most Casio's gain time and about 1/2 my Timexes lose time although I do believe they gain or lose slightly slower than the Casio's. My most accurate watches are an ESQ Swiss Quartz and a Swiss Army Swiss Quartz which will do about +4 to +5 sec a month.

Also I really like the lighter colored lcd background of the Timex, it is more readable than the Casio's as the black digits stand out better.

All this Timex talk. I think I'm going to hit the bay and pick up a vintage ironman. One of the ones with all the digits the same size. I used to have one with blue writing instead of the normal orange you find. I'm on a mission:-D

Just about a month ago I purchased the above model Timex Flix on its Fast-Wrap strap system. To me, this watch has perhaps the finest digital display on the market, no matter the brand. Certainly much more legible then a G-Shock. And you'll notice that it is a clean display. None of the useless circles and squares that characterize most G-Shock displays. This watch has an incredible array of useful features. All that at a price less than the basic G-Shock model DW5600-E.

I must admit, Timex aren't generally thought of as collectible whereas G-Shock afficienados pay exhorbitant sums for so called "rare" G-Shocks. But Timex never adopted the philosophy of being collectible. Instead Timex produces practical, good looking, functional and fun watches at reasonable prices that are expected to last only 4 or 5 years then be replaced.

I too have sold off most of my G-Shocks in favor of what I consider to be a much better value in a digital watch.

My choice in digital watches? Timex, hands down.

Best regards,

Mike

Mike,

Is that the model with the interval timers? FLIX is nice in that it goes off only when you want it to. I also like that in Timex you can change from mm/dd to dd/mm for the date format.

Quote Originally Posted by RWare
    Mike,

Is that the model with the interval timers? FLIX is nice in that it goes off only when you want it to. I also like that in Timex you can change from mm/dd to dd/mm for the date format.
    Yes, it has countdown timers and interval timers. Both are very useful. And as you have pointed out you have your choice of date format. I use date/month as it's the same format as my laptop and blackberry. IMHO, an excellent digital watch loaded with useful features at a great price.

Best regards,

Mike

Mike said:
    Instead Timex produces practical, good looking, functional and fun watches at reasonable prices that are expected to last only 4 or 5 years then be replaced.

Mike, I agree with you except that some Timexes like some Casios do last forever. My digital timex marathon is 10 years old and is still like new and my 4 year old timex analog diver (screw down back and crown; 200m wp) is still on the original battery and is built like an all stainless steel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by sandoz
    Mike said:

Mike, I agree with you except that some Timexes like some Casios do last forever. My digital timex marathon is 10 years old and is still like new and my 4 year old timex analog diver (screw down back and crown; 200m wp) is still on the original battery and is built like an all stainless steel tank.
    Quite so. I guess that I should have emphasized the word "expected." You are spot on that many Timex last far longer, especially when cared for. Indeed, I have a Timex Mercury from the early 60's that still looks great and runs fairly well.

My point was that Timex produces with functional utility and appearance as a primary concern, longevity being secondary and collectibility being an after thought.

Best regards,

Mike

I've been very satisfied with the Timex watches I've owned over the years both analog and digital. Their quartz movements have been accurate most of the time and have funtion quite well with the exception of their current model 45001.

I bought one last week and noticed that the date would change at the 6 o'clock hour instead of the 12 o'clock hour. I thought I had set the date incorrectly and adjusted it, but the following evening the same thing happened so I exchanged the watch for another. Well, the second one did the same thing except that the date would begin to change around the 9 o'clock hour instead. Disappointed, I returned the watch. Interestingly, at the store I examined two versions of the same watch (one with a blue face and metal strap and one with a black face and metal strap) and the dates cycled through at the correct 12 o'clock hour, so it seems the yellow face/resin strap versions were defective. I emailed Timex about my experience, but all they could offer was to replace the watch with another. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, except the next time I'll make sure to check the date function.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information