Thread: WHAT is it about >>>RAILROAD APPROVED WATCHES<<< ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Picture WHAT is it about >>>RAILROAD APPROVED WATCHES<<< ?

I'm just wondering if *RAILROAD-APPROVED* watches are considered keepers...or are they just a passing fancy for collectors and hobbyists?

Interestingly enough, folks that bought these watches love 'em for their history and tradition....but on one hand, I've seen a lot of them being sold on the sales corner and on the Bay. Does the mystic, aura and tradition about these watches wear out after owning them for a certain period of time?...nor do I see any dramatic price appreciation.

Frankly, I've been thinking about buying one just to add to my modest collection....but the size is holding me back...the average size is usually 37-38mm (I have a big wrist). There is something about the simple design layout that draws-me-in that screams dependability. Then, I have images of Grand Central Station running through my mind.

If you have pictures of your own R/R approved watches - - please share 'em. Your thoughts on these watches ??? Here's a couple that I have seen and they're priced in the "affordable" range:

Re: WHAT is it about >>>RAILROAD APPROVED WATCHES<<< ?

Hey where do I start on this one? I am the resident RR collector in the affordables forum, we have had a posts on these in the past, just do a search (search for posts by me with railroad in them). Only Seiko, Pulsar, and Citizen (Quartz and Eco) make current production RR approved watches.

Rather than post up all the pictures I will just link you to the album to check it out. Classic RR approved Hamiltons, Longines, Universal Geneve, Ball and others do appriciate. Current production ones will never reach this standard.

Check out my my album here at WUS.... http://forums.watchuseek.com/members...-wristwatches/
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Quote Originally Posted by sixtysix View Post
    Hey where do I start on this one? I am the resident RR collector in the affordables forum, we have had a posts on these in the past, just do a search (search for posts by me with railroad in them). Only Seiko, Pulsar, and Citizen (Quartz and Eco) make current production RR approved watches.

Rather than post up all the pictures I will just link you to the album to check it out. Classic RR approved Hamiltons, Longines, Universal Geneve, Ball and others do appriciate. Current production ones will never reach this standard.

Check out my my album here at WUS.... http://forums.watchuseek.com/members...-wristwatches/
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

THANKS FOR SHARING, GARY !!!
    Awesome pictures. Like you said they'll never make 'em like they used to.
    I was just wondering if there are any models with diameters over 40mm......or, is 37-38mm the norm for R/R watches?

Obviously, the names like - - Illinois Watch Co. Elgin Watch Co. Hamilton Watch Co. Waltham (Ball) Watch Co. and Hampden Watch Co have alot of history and tradition behind them. Aside from R/R wristwatches, there's now a growing interest in pocket watches.

I don't know of any in the above 40mm range, back in the 60's and 70's, 40mm was pretty big.......if you find one let me know!!
    Later, Gary

Of course there is one contemporary maker of Railway Watches that you might like to look at and that is Mondaine. They make both Quartz and Mechanical version, have modern day case sizes and somewhat iconic design.
    "The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise." Peter O'Toole

I was shopping around for pocket watch a few months ago and read as much as I could to make an informed choice before diving into eBay. Yes, railroad approved pocket watches are very popular. In their heyday, the required standard was that they did not lose more than 30 seconds A WEEK. It rather puts todays mechanical watches to shame yet we seem to be gleeful if a modern mechanical watch is within 30 seconds a day. There is a difference between railroad "style" and railroad "approved" with regard to pocket watches. Vintage pocket watches may have had that degree of accuracy in their time but I don't know if those models can still be expected to retain that accuracy unless you put some serious service into it but I will leave that to the pros to comment on. I have avoided those models on eBay because they seem to command a premium but what are eBay buyers really getting just because a pocket watch says RR approved on it?

As for the RR approved wristwatch, are they just hyping the accuracy of the watch or is there an official approval process to gain that stamp? Since quartz watches are known for their accuracy and loses only seconds a month then simply by default the accuracy falls into a railroad standard. At least the old standard. I don't know if there is a more modern and stricter standard with the availability of quartz watches now but maybe the stamp is just a gimmick to appeal to railroad and pocket watch enthusiasts? Call me a cynic.

I do like the look of the railroad "style" dial. Clean looking and easy to read, just as the approved standard required.
    Last edited by lateasusual; December 7th, 2010 at 11:47.

If you want modern 40mm + , watches that have Railroad names, the Omega Railmaster, Ball watches still claim original RR Standard, There is a new Hamilton Railroad....but these do not say "Railroad Approved' on the dial. I have never seen anything that tells me the Omega Railmaster was ever approved for use by US railroads. The Modaine is the official Swiss railway watch but doesn't say RR approved either. I only collect US or Canadian 'officially' approved watches.

There is (or rather was) a standard as far as pocket watches go....there can be no question as to weather they were approved for Railroad use, check my other posts I have posted the requirements before. Wrist watches started to be approved for use in the early 60's with the advent of the Bulova Accutron...these also had an official approval process. Today Railroads use GPS and satelites for time keeping, most do not require an railroad approved watch anymore and most guys wear G-shocks or whatever. There are a few that require a RR approved watch....so the Seiko, Pulsar and Citizen fit the bill. All quartz watches meet the RR standard anymore (however the RR in question defines this).
    Later, Gary

For me it is the heritage of railroading. My great-great grandfather was an engineer with the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western railroad, and my hometown hosted 5 major railroads in its' heyday. My kids were so interested in RR that we built a large model layout in the basement. I owned a Mondaine and a classic 1974 Accutron tuning fork RR Approved. I sold both because I just didn't wear them enough (or any other white dials for that matter), size wasn't really the issue as I have more than a few 35-38mm watches that I wear.

Gary has an awesome collection!

Cheers,

Griff

That's a beautiful collection! I must admit that I didn't know about railroad watches... I'm going to read more about them.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtysix View Post
    Only Seiko, Pulsar, and Citizen (Quartz and Eco) make current production RR approved watches.

Can you expand on that point? I've been collecting vintage and antique railroad pocket watches for many years and it has been my understanding that most lines will accept practically any quartz movement these days as long as it's deemed relatively accurate (which is basically all quartz watches when compared to vintage mechanical movements.) Even determining what was and what wasn't a railroad approved pocket watch back in the early to mid part of the last century can be difficult and imprecise exercise. Lines had different requirements, some more strict than others and the standards changed with some frequency.
    Last edited by Chris Hughes; December 9th, 2010 at 00:05.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information