WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What to buy next? Cocktail Time vs Orient Star vs Laco Vintage

18K views 85 replies 43 participants last post by  dimkasta 
#1 ·
Starting my first thread here but I have been reading here for a while and learning from some very knowledgeable folk here on this forum. I am considering buying my next watch and as title says it's between:

The sexy Seiko Cocktail Time (Sarb065):

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

(photo online)

The understated beauty Orient Star (wz0011dd):

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

(Yeoman photo)

And the elegant Laco Vintage (861781):

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver

(photo online)

I am quite new to watches so still learning. I like the simple vintage look with the silver sunburst dial but would like to hear your opinions. I have been doing some reading and have realised that the sarb065 is highly regarded here on WUS. It has a very distinct look, dressy & sexy, and I it seems that most of those owning one have said that it's even more striking in real life. But some people have had some issues with their dials while others didn't keep it as it was too dressy for them. My understanding is that Orient Star is very reliable and good value for money watch. I really like the simple but classy look and the power indicator is a nice little touch. Finally the Laco Vintage caught my eye with it's timeless vintage elegance. It has the Laco 15 (Miyota 9015) which is suppose to be good movement although I have seen that some buyers don't like the thought of a Japanese movement in a German watch but that doesn't bother me.

The next watch is intended to be used quite often (mainly work - office environment - smart casual, but also weekends) so will be rotated with my only other watch which is the Seagull 1963 reissue:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Any views on advantages/disadvantages with regards to each of these beauties? Movements? Built quality? Durability? Which one is best used as a daily watch?

The prices for new watches here in the UK are around £370 (USD 530) for Cocktail time & Laco while the Star is more expensive at £530 (USD750). I would consider second hand as well if in mint condition. I believe the Sarb065 is the only one more easily available as new while the other two have been discontinued and replaced by newer models which doesn't appeal to me as much.

Thanks for reading & your thoughts much appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you guys. I see your points on the Laco. It's is a classy beauty and the simplicity is very appealing to me.

You are right City74, it's probably less known and so fewer people would have it which is always nice.

Malakim, versatility is important to me but to be honest the power reserve indicator doesn't bother me so much as it's done quite discreetly so not really in your face.

Any thoughts about the movements? Any preference?

#29 ·
Malakim, versatility is important to me but to be honest the power reserve indicator doesn't bother me so much as it's done quite discreetly so not really in your face.
Yeah - this one isn't too bad. I just can't stand p.r indicators - it's the one thing that will insta-kill a watch for me.

In the end you are the one wearing the watch, so get the one that sings to you. Any of these three will serve you well for years.

#5 ·
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the movements. They are all well known and reliable from what I have read. I would say personal preference is the decision maker. I would go Laco, but that's me. The Seiko has a lot of fans also and is a great watch. The Orient while a nice watch and from a good company just doesn't do it for me, especially at that price

#10 ·
Yes I agree from what I have read it seems that movements in all 3 watches well regarded.

I like all 3 but if you push me I would probably say that the Sarb065 is the most appealing to me. What worries me is that it might be too dressy and I want to use it as a daily watch together with the Seagull 1963. There were also mentioned some defected dials here on the forum but not sure how serious this is.

#7 ·
From this list I would go Laco, the Sarb is a beauty but it wears big ish in person and the strap is pretty poor. ORIENT STAR EL05005S is nicer in my opinion and a great size at 38.5 , remember dress watches that are 'all dial' wear larger than the dimensions would suggest. What about the hamilton Intramatic in 38mm or Junghans Max bill, both have that cool 60's vibe.

#12 ·
I like big watches but yes there is the risk it would look too big on my my skinny 6.5 wrist. The wz0011dd looks more appealing to me than the EL05005S as I like the simplicity. Hamilton Intramatic is very beautiful but what would bother me is the lack of a second hand and that's unfortunately a deal breaker. the Maxi bill looks great but I believe is more expensive?

#13 ·
Thanks for positing these beautiful photos. I understand your point about the strap changes but I would probably still prefer the Cocktail Time on a black strap. To me the strap it comes with looks like a prefect match. But yes brown or especially that grey perlon strap looks pretty good and dress it a bit down.

#15 ·
As a new SARB065 owner, I'll say that it is a beautiful watch and I don't see myself ever getting rid of it. However, I do think it is very dressy and I'm now shopping for something I'll wear every day. The Cocktail Time will be my watch 100% of the time I'm wearing a suit but I'm not sure it's versatile enough for every day.

Just my opinion though and I have not tried it on other straps. I really like the strap it comes on btw, a bit stiff but softens with time. The whole package is extremely unique and I doubt you'd ever see anyone in the real world with the same watch.

Reactions: IPA and Zizu73
#16 ·
It's for sure a keeper but your point pretty much sums up my feeling/fear about the Cocktail Time. Beautiful unique watch but probably not very versatile & not easy to dress down. As I very rarely wear suit as my workplace has smart casual dress code and I don't want it to end up in my drawer. It's too beautiful for that and I really want to wear it often. If I buy the sarb065 I might end up needing to buy another daily watch like you which I don't mind doing but I have a strong feeling my wife would have a different opinion on that matter. You know nonsense such as prioritising buying nappies and food for kids.

#20 ·
Sorry. I mis-posted above.

I meant that although there's nothing wrong with the Laco, though I haven't seen it in the flesh, the Cocktail Time is beautiful and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't regret it if you made that choice.

#23 ·
Also, I checked that OS out when I was in the market for a dress/casual watch when Seiya was selling them for less than $500 a few months back. I also checked out the Seiko Brightz SDGM. I ended up with a SARB and a SARG instead as the OS and the Brightz are a bit too dressy for my lifestyle.

Reactions: Zizu73
#24 ·
Yes agree the hands are on the short side.

QUOTE=hiro1963;18997473]I like the Laco, but the hands look a bit too short for my liking. Just my personal preference.

Ok that's interesting. Do you mean that the OS looked more dressy to you than the Sarb065?

#26 ·
Congratulations on starting your first thread! I don't think you would go wrong with any of these three. I agree the Cocktail Time is bigger on the wrist than you might think. It's also a bit blingy and formal, but quite the most distinctive of the three. The Laco strikes me as the most balanced and versatile. As always, you'll be wearing it, not us.

Reactions: Zizu73
#31 ·
Laco is plain but that's what's appealing to me. I like the simplicity as for me it's elegant and timeless. And great vintage feel. But I understand that we all have different tastes. By the way I really like the look of your Beijing Zungu. The only issue is that I already have a Chinese watch in the Seagull 1963 so would like to broaden my watch collection. But the look is great & price very tempting. I prefer the one your photo with small second hands as prefer it without date.

Laco is plain & boring (for my taste). I prefer Orient Star over Cocktail. I would however suggest Beijing Zungu - beautiful watch, similar to JLC Master Control, for only 130 GBP. It's available with "small" and "big" second hand.
UOTE]

#28 ·
Welcome to the forum. The Cocktail Time gets my vote. I own one and although I did think it was a little dressy for me (I'm blue collar and wear a suit once a year) it can be dressed down a bit with the right strap. I am still trying to find the strap I want for it otherwise id show some pictures. Foxman posted some real beauties above. Right now mine is on a cheap crazy horse i stile from another watch and it really helped to dress it down. The dial just can't be beat but be prepared to buy a new strap right off the bat because the oem strap is lacking in several areas.

#32 ·
Hmm, all three are nice and have their advantages. Of the three, I think I'd go with the Seiko, but only because it's grown on me from all the posts here. I'll get into the Seiko auto tonight once my SARB017 arrives and then I could comment a little better.

My two cents: If you don't have a professional dress code at work, and you want to wear this at work, I'd go with a more casual watch. The other one you already have is somewhat formal too, so imo, I think you'd have two not so casual watches. Of course, it's all up to your personal style and preference, and to me, I don't think you can ever wear the "wrong" watch (unless you're hiking with one of these or something). That said, maybe you want to go with a diver or a tool watch instead? I work in a business casual environment and mix it up each day, but most often I'm wearing a diver - Steinhart OVM or Orient Mako. These are what I wear out as well, on the weekends or whenever. Very versatile. At this price range - $200-$400 (I think), you may be better off with something a little bit different.

Of course, I will always vouch for the Orient Mako, but at this price range you could opt for the Mako USA and get all the extras like sapphire and solid end links. A smart choice in almost any situation from a beach to a casual day, to a wedding. Black would probably be your best bet here or a Steinhart Ocean 1, or one of their other ones. The size might push it for you, combined with the flatness of the lugs however, but I can't say enough good about mine and it wears the same as the Mako, I think. Also, if you liked these, perhaps you want to take a look at something that can be dressy, but also a little less so in Seiko. The SARB033.

Reactions: DC guy and Zizu73
#35 ·
Cocktail Time would be my first choice, but if you're looking for simplicity, I'd go with the Orient. I personally like the power reserve and to me the Laco is just too simple. I also think the Orient is the best mix of casual/dressy of the three.

#36 ·
I know you were not looking for alternatives and it's a bit bigger than the Laco, but if you want the same 'vibe' for less money, take a look at the Orient Bambion V3 ( FER2400MW0 ). Between the three you gave I like the Laco, but it's just a tad small for me. I have also been looking at the Seiko, but I just don't know that it would get enough wrist time.

#40 ·
Yes the Bambino is a good looking watch. I like especially the ones with blue and grey dial. The price is lower but I assume so is the quality of the movement and the built? I have the same worries for the sarb065, i.e. not enough wrist time. But I am very tempted :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.