Like Tree31Likes

Thread: What does 100 M Water Resistant mean to you?

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

What does 100 M Water Resistant mean to you?

Obviously I know what it technically means, but how wet would you get a 100M water resistant watch. There are a couple of styles I like and am curious of your opinions. I don't plan on doing any diving at all, and to be honest I can't see myself even swimming with one. Would you be comfortable washing it under running water? Would you be comfortable in the shower? Would you be comfortable in the rain?

Re: What does 100 M Water Resistant mean to you?

I've swam with both a 100m and a 200m with no problems. I have several that are 50m that I get wet all the time in rain and handwashing that are also fine. The only watch that I ever had a problem with water was an old 30m timex that I droped in the sink while trying to remove it while washing dishes. It fogged up, but I removed the back and let it dry and it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GregBe View Post
    Obviously I know what it technically means, but how wet would you get a 100M water resistant watch. There are a couple of styles I like and am curious of your opinions. I don't plan on doing any diving at all, and to be honest I can't see myself even swimming with one. Would you be comfortable washing it under running water? Would you be comfortable in the shower? Would you be comfortable in the rain?
    A 100M watch is commonly considered ok to swim with.

200M or deeper for snorkeling / diving.

50M for washing your hands.

I can see no reason on Earth to shower with a watch.

R

I'd say you don't need to worry about submerging it, normal swimming should be okay. I don't shower with a watch on, but I guess you could.
    If you plan on snorkeling or SCUBA diving I'd go with a 200 meter ISO rated diver or better.

I comonly use a 100m Sector to go swimming, and I thought it was Ok. I changed the battery last week and found the inside to full of salt deposits amd other reside. The point is, a watch with ANY WR is OK to submerge in water as long as the any/all of the gasgets are not worn.

It means I might get away with forgetting to take it off while I wash the dishes or have a bath, but when I try to recover the Skidoo that went through the ice last winter, I'll take it off before I get into the boat.

100m is good. 200m is better. 500m & above (below?) is mostly marketing.

(He said with a 300m wr watch on his wrist. .)

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1320350583522.jpg
Views: 12399
Size:  276.0 KB
    Homage watches democratize history for the common wrist.

Cheers! James

I just don't even bother and always take mine off when showering, swimming, etc. Half the time I'm wearing a vintage watch anyhow...so I just got into the habit of taking my watch off. So for me 100m water resistant gets the same treatment as non-water resistant.

100m should be fine for swimming. Getting it wet shouldn't be a problem, just no scuba diving.

Even as late as the 1980's 150 meters (ISO rated) was OK for scuba diving. I don't know what prompted the change to 200m, though there were plenty of 200m rated watches by then anyway.

I had a Laco Flieger (eta), rated 5atm=50m, it had a screwdown crown, I took it on a vacation and swam in the ocean with it for 10 days in a row and- No problem! Now that is a well made German watch, would I try this with a non screw down crown, non-swiss/german made watch? Hell no! Nothing under at least 150m for swimming. To answer your question about 100m rating, from my experiences, if it is a well made well respected brand/watch, as long as it's got a scew-down crown, I would give it a try-but again, thats just me.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information