When logos (don't) suit the watches that bear them - Page 6
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: When logos (don't) suit the watches that bear them

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Re: When logos (don't) suit the watches that bear them

Zeppelin reminds me of a 50's diner. Not bad looking, but a but out of place.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383725226.468099.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  35.3 KB

I agree that they've tried to make it Zeppelin-y without being cheesy though, which is a good thing.
    supermundane likes this.
    Brad
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    Zeppelin reminds me of a 50's diner. Not bad looking, but a but out of place.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383725226.468099.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  35.3 KB

I agree that they've tried to make it Zeppelin-y without being cheesy though, which is a good thing.
    Haha I definitely see the 50's diner association but I think the logo is neat and well thought out - although I prefer just the text on the dial, without the airship graphic, I think it looks much cleaner.

Name:  LZ129-2.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  62.3 KB
    kayjf and WatchinJames like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanP View Post

I don't like these much either..

I have to agree on the Luminox logo. I'm not a fan of the name or the design. It's always struck me as far too generically branded. Like something you'd see here on an infomertial.

"Hi, Billy Mays here for new Luminox!"
    Jaded Albion, docvail and Fi33pop like this.

I didn't see anyone mention the Nomos logo, but I love the font and elongated 'M'... classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakmuay View Post
    I'm on the fence with the new Stowa logo; really think of Stowa as being synonymous with the old logo, but I understand why they chose the new one - what do the Cognoscenti think?

Edit: forgot to mention there's something about the Halios logo that I don't find that appealing either.
    I think the new stowa logo will fit the sport lines better (seatime/prodiver/T01) the pilot and marine lines could suffer as the new logo could throw the dial off a little.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NoLeftTurn View Post
    [snip]

For me though, and I'll get the hate for this one. The worst is Lew and Huey, IMO. I love their watches, especially the rally, but that dog puts me right off!!

Maybe it's because i'm a dog lover and have 2 of them.. and 'lew and huey' sounds like two dogs. But I love that dog wagging it's tail, and even the beginning of the second hand on the Riccardo resembles that dog wagging it's tail..

I'm all about fun... but it has to be just right.
    docvail likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NoLeftTurn View Post
    I also agree with Orient on need for that cheap looking crown. I also really don't like the @ of the Alpha watches or the 1993 below it.

For me though, and I'll get the hate for this one. The worst is Lew and Huey, IMO. I love their watches, especially the rally, but that dog puts me right off!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amfangreisemann View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that one is more my being fussy than anything else. But if definitely sucks in comparison with VC's ;)

+1

I would quite like to see a genuine essay taking over the whole of the dial!

The whole of that Smiths dial is total class

Yes, I thought about Seiko too. The tone of the logo seems to extend to every single watch they make

Ah, cmon, indulge yourself......

Oh yes, very good
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakim View Post
    I can't stand the Chr. Ward logo (both the new and old are equally painful to look at). They have some nice watches - but I won't be buying.

Second one I don't care for is the Lew & Huey WIFI dog (sorry Doc!). Love the watch designs - especially the Riccardo - but I can't bear the logo.

I have two logos that I love above all others: the Enicar Saturn logo is great, as is the rotating anchor logo Rado (used to?) have on their watches.
    The coast is clear. No hatin' on this end, gents. It's not everyone's cup of tea. No worries. I wanted 'different'. I got it.

It was threads like this one that drew me into this forum. As a student of humans, I find it fascinating that here in this forum dedicated to our shared love of watches, we frequently see thread topics about what we DON'T like about them.

Slanted dates, contrasting date windows, crown shoulders, shrouded lugs, logos, dial text, sub dials, etc etc etc. It's amazing anyone here buys any watches considering how many things we find to dislike about them.

Not meant to be snarky. I really do think it's interesting. I chalk a lot of it up to common personality traits in watch collectors. Many of us tend to focus on the trees and not always see the forest. Very detail-oriented lot, these watch nerds.

Sent via 25th century technology by an angry chimp with electrodes hooked to his brain.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

Hidden Content

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post
    The coast is clear. No hatin' on this end, gents. It's not everyone's cup of tea. No worries. I wanted 'different'. I got it.

It was threads like this one that drew me into this forum. As a student of humans, I find it fascinating that here in this forum dedicated to our shared love of watches, we frequently see thread topics about what we DON'T like about them.

Slanted dates, contrasting date windows, crown shoulders, shrouded lugs, logos, dial text, sub dials, etc etc etc. It's amazing anyone here buys any watches considering how many things we find to dislike about them.

Not meant to be snarky. I really do think it's interesting. I chalk a lot of it up to common personality traits in watch collectors. Many of us tend to focus on the trees and not always see the forest. Very detail-oriented lot, these watch nerds.

Sent via 25th century technology by an angry chimp with electrodes hooked to his brain.

Being a veterinarian, I think it is time I check on this electrode implanted chimp. Call PETA.
    Δός μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω.
    Give me where to stand and I will move the earth

Archimedes quoted by Pappus of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I actually like Orient's logo with the two lions flanking the regal "O."
    +1 The Orient Logo with the lions is one of the things I like most about Orient. By the way, not every Orient has that on the dial, everybody :P. I don't like the Bernhardt logo particularly, but it looks fine on the BAI. I'm also not a fan of the Zepplin logo, or Invicta, or Android, and a lot of other brands (Tag Heur is fine if they don't put the red and green in it, the red and green kills it for me). But, I think the Rolex logo is ingenious and has stood the test of time, look at their sales. It's a classic at the lowest level of appreciation.

Just my .02
    jlow28, -hj- and supermundane like this.

Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post

Yes, this. Watches are like anything else, there's really no design all people will agree on (I for one, love shrouded lugs). I'm certainly guilty of being as picky, if not more on average, as everyone else here. For me, personally, my theme is ultra basic utilitarian watches with a focus on durability...I love seeing all the variation possible in even the most no frills category there is, but that said, I'm ridiculously picky. I can't stand most watches, and it's so easy for a little detail to make a watch unbearable (I have no idea how people can put up with frilly blued hands and open heart watches...). Thank god I'm cool with the Seiko "5" logo, otherwise, I'd *really* be in trouble.

All that said... My least favorite logo:

Name:  144785_110129142237_InvictaLogo.jpg
Views: 2790
Size:  47.4 KB

It could just be the mental association, but I truly believe that they have the most hideous marketing designs anyone could imagine. It's like...i don't know...swedish pop culture diarrhea or something. at least that what it makes me feel, even if it makes no sense.

My favorite logo by far:

Name:  shanghai_a-581_black_caseback.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  186.6 KB

...the old square Shanghai logo. I've still never owned a shanghai watch, but I dream about them.
    docvail likes this.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information