Where have all the field watches gone?
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Where have all the field watches gone?

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

If there was one style of watch that really got me into this hobby, it is field watches. There may be some bias to this, as I was always fascinated by the military field watches my Father and Grandfathers had in Vietnam, Korea and World War II, respectively. Before heading down the path of the WIS, I spent many nights reading up on the history of these watches, etc. As a result of this (and a chance reading about the company in an outdoor magazine), the first nice watch watch that I purchased was a Bertucci Titanium Field Watch. Although Bertucci makes many field watches, I was drawn to the A-4T Yankee because of its military styling. The larger size, Swiss movement and titanium case were all nice features, also.

As I put this watch on this morning, it occurred to me; I don't see a lot of field watches 'round here. There are other 'military' watches... Pilot Watches, Nav Watches, Vostoks, etc. I suppose Luminor and Radiomir, homage or not, are technically military based on their origin. I do see those. And an @$$load of subs come to mind. Just few field watches.

Am I imagining this? What are your thoughts? And if you have a field watch, slap a picture on the post. I'd love to see what's around.

I'll start the bidding...
    Attachment 987478
    docvail likes this.

The only state created during the Civil War.

Re: Where have all the field watches gone?

A good example my friend with a lovely dial. I do agree with you that the field watches seem to be one of the least posted out of the military inspired genre. One that I have seen is the Hamilton Khaki from time to time. IMHO, the reason would be the size. Most of the field watches were under 40mm. My sweet spot is between 43 and 45mm. For me to wear anything under 42mm would not look right on me. I will agree that the bigger timepieces have spoiled me dramatically. The biggest I've worn was a 60mm, and that was just way too big, very top heavy. Maybe if more members would post those more often, they just might bring more to the fold.
    "O-M-G!! I am rich!... Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeth, Crystals in the kidneys, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries, and an inexhaustable supply of Natural Gas. I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!!"

Gone But Not Forgotten:
    Anonimo | Bali Hai | Ball | Benarus | Boschett | Breitling | Debaufre | Deep Blue | Doxa | DWatch| Enzo Mechana | Glycine | Halios | Helson | Marathon | Kobold | Korsbek | Kremke | MKII | Ocean7 | Omega | Orsa | Oris | Precista | Prometheus | Riedenschild | Steinhart | Seiko | Tissot | Zinex/Zixen

I agree that field watches don't get the attention they deserve. Here is few that I own or have owned.

Attachment 987507

Attachment 987508

Attachment 987509

Attachment 987510

Attachment 987512

Attachment 987513

Attachment 987515

They're all more or less inspired by military watches

Banned

I don't know if this counts.... But these are two of my favorites in my collection.
    Attachment 987558
    Attachment 987560
    Papichulo and docvail like this.

Quote Originally Posted by samael_6978 View Post
    I agree that field watches don't get the attention they deserve. Here is few that I own or have owned.

They're all more or less inspired by military watches
    You've had a few indeed!
    2manywatchs likes this.

Dressed up Hammi:

Momentum:

Freestyle;

Still have them all.
    docvail likes this.

VSA Infantry Classic, all day!

Attachment 987581

Attachment 987582

I can't say I've noticed the lack of field watches, seems like someone's sporting one on WRUW every day.
    2manywatchs likes this.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by H3RRINGTON View Post
    I don't know if this counts....
    That may be part of it. What is or isn't a field watch might spark debate. When I see a watch with 5 to 55 indicies, I think "B-Uhr/Nav/Observation watch". When I see a triangle at 12 o'clock, I think "pilot". A rotating bezel is a tough one. No doubt that Luminox watches are military field pieces, but then what separates it from a sub? Depth rating? And what about movement? I tend to think of field watches as having to 'hack' which you don't see in most (any?) automatics.

Differing interpretations aside, I am glad that others notice an under-representation. I just wonder what makes that true. Is it we have them and don't post them or are not drawn to them for [fill in reason]. The 'may be too small' thought has merit. I love the 44mm size of my Bertucci.
    H3RRINGTON likes this.

I am a huge fan of field watches, but when summer rolls around I find myself reaching for a diver more frequently than not. Perhaps this is just a seasonal thing which you're seeing?

BM6400: Certainly the toughest field watch that I own, perhaps the toughest out there.

Hamilton Mechanical:

SARB015: Classiest field watch out there.

SKXplorer: This probably doesn't count but I am madly in love with this one.

^ the size can also be an issue. Earlier field watches were far smaller than 40 mm. I thought my Traser auto was pushing the envelope at 40 mm.

When it comes to to hacking the only one I encountered was Seiko 5 using 7sXX movement.

Anyway, I agree that field watches are few and far between taking into account countless dive and pilot watches.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information