Why all the Tag Heuer hate in F71? - Page 5
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Why all the Tag Heuer hate in F71?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Re: Why all the Tag Heuer hate in F71?

I read this three times and I still don't understand your post. Sorry, Maybe it's because I have the summer flu and my brain is fried.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesin4Watches View Post
    This has been said and The Naf said it well. Reminds me of a rap lyric that went something like this:

"I'm your favorite rapper's favorite rapper".

I don't really envision the majority of TAG owners as being watch enthusiasts. It's that guy in the office that owns one nice watch...that guy wears a TAG. That's who I think the company markets toward.

Anybody here that owns a TAG, I'm not implying by any means my comments are derogatory to you. I just think you're sharing your brand with a lot of folks that you couldn't hold a conversation with about other watch brands.

The watches are obviously well made and this conversation has nothing to do with quality and designs in my opinion.

Enthusiasts usually don't like "sharing" their favorite music band, artist, watch?, and so on with those that aren't as "dedicated" to it as they are. Those enthusiasts in turn call that brand/person a "sell out".

Maybe it's my personality, but I don't want to buy that watch that is readily available and marketed to the masses.

I have but one question to sum this all up:

Is TAG your favorite watchmaker's favorite watchmaker? Probably not is my guess...
    Be Alert - The world needs more Lerts.

love love love heuer/racing/chrono watches - would have had one ages ago if not for my no $1000 on a single watch rule. something like this? all day.

Name:  carrera white.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  705.5 KB

...public perception be damned
    JakeJD, Sevenmack, DuncanP and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mannal View Post
    I read this three times and I still don't understand your post. Sorry, Maybe it's because I have the summer flu and my brain is fried.

TAG is the Nickelback of watches....there..I said it.
    Sinn 556i / Seiko SARW013 / Seiko SARB017 / Mido Multifort / Hamilton Navy Pioneer / Chr. Ward C60 / Tissot T-Classic Powermatic / Steinhart OVR 2.0 / Melbourne Watch Co's Flinders / Orient Ray Raven / Seiko SNK809

I think it is because people do not like change & the thinking is that they do not like the TAG Holdings Group acquiring the Heuer Watch Company in 1985 ...
    then stamping their "TAG" logo on a century old established Swiss watchmaker.

It doesn’t matter that they modernized the Heuer manufacturing facilities & increased recognition of the brand not to mention the sales numbers worldwide.
    Taking the TAG logo off the Heuer watch is like brushing a blingy SS bracelet. It makes the whole package a bit more palatable ... here's some vintage Heuers.

Photo credits: here & here
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by tss88; June 21st, 2016 at 05:31.

All the TAG hate stems from reading stuff on the internet. I don't know why the "cons" column has such a higher number.
    Sevenmack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Naf View Post
    edit: I also think part of the reason Tag is so frowned upon is possibly the same reason it is so popular to the general population. Tag in the entry level luxury market occupies a similar perception as Rolex does in the Mid-Tier luxury segment. Watch enthusiasts often find it difficult to come to terms with people splashing lots of money on nice watches they hardly know anything about and brands that they percieve as marketing more to the "un-informed" masses with hyperbole, gimmick and associations with certain lifetsyles are often looked down upon. Same reason we have a bit of Rolex hate from some on here as well...but whereas Rolex largely seems to be able to overcome that with what many consider to be "iconic" designs, consistency of design language and robust reliable in-house manufactured movements in well engineered packages, Tag, mostly, isn't.
    The disdain for TAG among many collectors is another example of the cognitive dissonance that is prevalent in the hobby. By and large, collectors say they value history, heritage, high-quality products, provenance, and technical innovation. On those basis alone, TAG should be more highly-coveted among these folks than Rolex. History? Founded in 1869. Heritage? The first dashboard chronographs, John Glenn and Mercury 6, even Ayrton Senna and Formula 1. High-quality watches? The Carrera Mikrograph just to name one of many. Provenance? Plenty. Technical innovation? Also plenty.

Yet among those collectors, TAG is hated because casual watch buyers also value the company's products. This snobbery is ridiculous. Not only does it betray how collectors really approach how the hobby (like hipsters without beards), but it shows that many really don't care to ask the most-important question of is this a fine watch? By being such snobs, many collectors also display their hypocrisy, showing that when it comes to watches, collectors aren't as well-informed as they are more-informed in their blarney.

This isn't to say that every TAG is worth owning. Buy the watch, not the brand. But TAG does deserve more credit than it gets.
    sixtysix, stewham, The Naf and 3 others like this.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenmack View Post
    The disdain for TAG among many collectors is another example of the cognitive dissonance that is prevalent in the hobby. By and large, collectors say they value history, heritage, high-quality products, provenance, and technical innovation. On those basis alone, TAG should be more highly-coveted among these folks than Rolex. History? Founded in 1869. Heritage? The first dashboard chronographs, John Glenn and Mercury 6, even Ayrton Senna and Formula 1. High-quality watches? The Carrera Mikrograph just to name one of many. Provenance? Plenty. Technical innovation? Also plenty.

Yet among those collectors, TAG is hated because casual watch buyers also value the company's products. This snobbery is ridiculous. Not only does it betray how collectors really approach how the hobby (like hipsters without beards), but it shows that many really don't care to ask the most-important question of is this a fine watch? By being such snobs, many collectors also display their hypocrisy, showing that when it comes to watches, collectors aren't as well-informed as they are more-informed in their blarney.

This isn't to say that every TAG is worth owning. Buy the watch, not the brand. But TAG does deserve more credit than it gets.
    Spot on...Tag, at least on WUS, is a Victim of its own popularity. However I must rush to point out that most of Tags shall we say more tehcnically interesting pieces don't get the same hate as their cheaper and shall we say less interesting siblings. So though your not far off perhaps in your generalisation, it is probably just over-reaching a little. Just a tad :-P
    One watch kinda guy
    "My watch does a lot more than just tell the time...
    it tells a life story..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesin4Watches View Post
    TAG is the Nickelback of watches....there..I said it.
    Alas, I like both, the latter even more once I discovered the irrational hatred thereof. But then again I was kinda rooting for LeBron last night, too. Perhaps I've developed a fondness for irrationally hated things. I think people should reserve the "H word" for the truly awful...like the KKK, testicular cancer, and Anne Hathaway

TAG? I remember thinking they were overpriced. After seven years owning one, I no longer think so. But I still may sell it.
    Last edited by Purple Hayz; June 21st, 2016 at 06:52.
    Sevenmack and Justaminute like this.
    Aragon Divemaster 9100| Bulova Accutron, Marine Star, Precisionist Longwood, UHF Chronograph| Citizen Chrono Time A-T| Armani Swiss ARS-3103| Eterna KonTiki Chrono, Vaughan 18K| Fossil FSW1007| Frédérique Constant Slimline| Hamilton Khaki Aviation| Kenneth Cole KC1745| Movado Museum(x2)| Omega Seamaster AT 8500| Orient Esteem, Bambino (v3)| Sea-Gull "ED1963" Black, Sea-Master, 51 WuYi| Seiko 7N43 LumiBrite, Prospex Chrono, SARB065 Cocktail Time, SARW009, SNK807, SNK809, SUN063 GMT| TAG Heuer Formula 1| Tissot Powermatic 80, Visodate| Victorinox Dive Master 500M| Vostok Kama, Komandirskie (2414A), Komandirskie (2432)

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hayz View Post
    Alas, I like both, the latter even more once I discovered the irrational hatred thereof. But then again I was kinda rooting for LeBron last night, too.
    I'm a Knicks fan. Sadly. So I just wish LeBron (or Steph Curry) were on my team.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T

I'm not a hater but I'm very indifferent about them. They do seem to be premium priced for a very uninspired designs. That could be said for a lot of manufacturers.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information