why do watch so many sellers on Ebay refuse/cancel bids if your address is in Italy?

Thread: why do watch so many sellers on Ebay refuse/cancel bids if your address is in Italy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

why do so many watch sellers on Ebay refuse/cancel bids if your address is in Italy?

I've been busy bidding on several watches in the
    last few weeks.

One thing that I noticed is that some sellers have
    started to refuse and/or cancel bids if the bidder's
    address is in Italy. For example, one seller put this
    sentence in bold at the top of the description:
    "if your address is in Italy, please do not bother
    with bidding, as I will NOT sell to bidders from Italy..."

Most of the sellers are selling watches, but even some
    big sellers(with 20000+ positive feedbacks) of DVDs
    wont' sell to buyers from Italy...

Here's a quick Google search using keywords "will not
    ship to Italy" and "Ebay" which came up with 13,200
    results(!) here's the LINK to the Google search.
    This seems quites strange to me... Isn't Italy part
    of the EU? Did something happen with Ebay or
    buyers from Italy that caused so many sellers to be
    afraid of bidders from Italy?

Some sellers seem to be nicer and allow Italian bidder,
    but have very strict rule: mandatory insurance, notify
    seller before placing bid, no PayPal, wire transfer only,
    etc, etc....

Thanks for any info! :thanks

P.S. I'm in the US. I rarely sell my stuff on Ebay. If I sell
    a watch on Ebay, should I be concerned about bidders from
    Italy? I'm planning to put up my new Casio GIEZ for sale
    because I no longer like the watch...
    Last edited by bluemoose; May 23rd, 2007 at 08:04.

Re: why do watch so many sellers on Ebay refuse/cancel bids if your address is in Italy?

The problem is just good old THEFT!

Italy in particular, but Spain and Greece are not far behind.
    Packages have a funny habit of arriving at their destination empty.
    I tried to find a thread pertaining to this very issue, but no luck, sorry.

Can you imagine how pissed-off you'd be to find the watch of your dreams,
    win the auction, and then some bloody bastard steals it? And the damn thieves
    work for the friggin' Official Italian postal services!

My watchmaker has a relative that lives in Italy and he has had to quit sending any package of value.
    They exchanged watches for years, but once "word was out" no packages
    arrive unopened or untampered with. This was a couple years ago.
    The damn crooks pay close attention to the shipping labels. Think about it.

What makes it even more problematic, w/regard to watches, is that you can't
    insure anything over $500 USD. Watches and jewelery can be very problematic to ship.
    Many carriers specifically exclude those items from insurance or set the limit mentioned above.
    This is also why so many people say CONUS only. (for those living in the USA)
    It's much easier to set things straight if everything happens within the confines of one's own country.

J.

since Steve took down "our" favorite diver pic, I give you my version, enjoy...

who's our favorite diver? Jessica Alba, of course!

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: why do watch so many sellers on Ebay refuse/cancel bids if your address is in Italy?

It's not just watches or US based sellers. There are several web-based RC model retailers that proudly proclaim on their website "We do not ship to Italy...", and these guys are based in Kong Kong and Singapore.

It would seem that anything nice is at risk.

Looks like being a Postman in Italy is a very good job.

It is not just that things are stolen. There have been many stories here (and on the Russian forum in particular) in the past about watches and other packages taking MONTHS to arrive. During the interval the buyers have often accused the seller of theft by lying about the shipment, canceled their payments, etc. I bought two items from Italy, both Russian watches, and they arrived in fine shape quickly. One was via the post office and the other by courier. But the stories got very intense about a year ago as I recall on this topic.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Inactive

I get watches from italy,namely my Vixas with no problem. Shipping to Italy is the problem. I stopped myself after a dispute over my usps insured tracking number. usps tracked the package to Italy. then it vanished.

I recently had an issue with a watch sold to someone in France. The package took over a month to arrive in the buyers hands. Thankfully when the package arrived, the watch was with it, but I think I'm done with international shipping.

I shipped a hamilton WW II model watch to Italy about a year ago and did not experience any problems other than it took about 6-8 weeks to arrive.

I shipped registered Air Parcel Post and this is supposed to be the most secure method of shipping(also the slowest). I guess I just got lucky. With registered mail, there has to be a signature at each stage of the shipping process, so, there is some accountability or so the story goes.

The real problem in my opinion with international shipping is the insured value valuations in regards to the SDR values. I do not understand how you can give a customs value of $300 and pay for insurance but once that package leaves the US the value for the insurance overseas, or the SDR value as I understand it, is only $49. So, if the package is lost of stolen overseas.....the sender receives only $49.

In order to receive the full $300 value in overseas insurance, you need to insure the package to close to $1000. Very confusing and even the postal employees I speak with do not really clearly understand the ramifications and regulations on thiss practice.

And there are also limits and determinations regarding reimbursements even if you do have the insurance elevated. Plus , the poor customer has a lot of explaining to do with customs if the value is stated at $300 (they do not like this to begin with) and the insurance is for $1000.

So, many confusing and potentially expensive issues for a small profit.
    Last edited by Dragoon; May 24th, 2007 at 00:04.

I had an experience such as what you guys had. I shipped a watch to Italy the buyer put a claim on me thru paypal and said I didnt after I told him it would take 3-4 weeks. Paypal then proceeded to hold the money until the issue was resolved. On each movement of the watch and sent a msg to the buyer and Ebay, the purchaser then sends me the awful email msg saying that I took his money any never sent the watch. I told him I dont even have your money Ebay has held it up because you (purchaser claimed I swindle you out of a watch) anyway to make a long story short I sent the purchaser 5 msg or something like that and he the purchaser never responded Ebay finally released the money after a 30dys. The purchaser gave left me a good remark on ebay saying how great the deal went ..........................go figure

It may be due to lingering resentment over Mussolini.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information