Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Why the heck am i looking?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Why the heck am i looking?

Most of you know i just got a new Citizen i few days ago,and i am very satisfied with the watch..So why am i looking to buy more? Is one watch a month to much? When will this ever end guys?
    These are some questions i ask myself everyday,and i am sure so do yourselves. I know this has come up on other post,but i can't help thinking of the darn money i keep spending on this hobby. If i was rich i guess i would not worry about it..How often do you guys like to buy a watch,and what control do use?
    Mike
    Name:  grail2.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  84.2 KBYou would think i would be satisfied for a long time...
    Mike

Re: Why the heck am i looking?

It's worth remembering that we are a community of addicts, who love to enable each other. As the need for new watches diminishes (once we have more than we can reasonably wear) the pleasure in our community keeps us coming back, only to get tantalized by new possibilities, thus cycling the addiction. One of our moderators once wrote, "I'm not addicted to watches, I'm addicted to watch forums." C'est la guerre.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

I try to keep my habit to one watch a month... but last month cost me too much with my Boschett CDII... so I'm trying real hard not to buy anything this month, so I try to steer clear of WRUW threads! Too much temptation! So many great watches... so little money!

But it's hard... I guess I'm a watch "junkie"...
    Have a great day!
    Simon

I had several days when 3 or more watches came in the mail......thankfully I have slowed down a little!! If you can limit it to one a month that's actually pretty good in my book.
    mikeynd and T-hunter like this.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

It's always nice to hear that I'm not the only one who struggles with this..
    arktika1148 likes this.

Every time I buy a new watch I say, "that's it, I don't need any more, I have too many". Then I'm fine for a few weeks, and invariably someone posts a cool watch that either has been on my 'roundtuit' list for awhile, or something totally new and cool. I stay away from watches that are over $500 or I'd be in serious trouble, but watches that are are less than $200 seem to be fair game, anything under $100 is like pocket change (it's not really, I don't have that much money!). So I sell something, feel good about my fiscal responsibility, then go and buy something else.

It is rare that I don't pay cash, I can't afford to be charging watches or bankruptcy would be around the corner. If I could justify charging $500, what is stopping me from charging $5K? So my collection remains 'affordable' and will be unless I win the lottery

Quote Originally Posted by dualtime View Post
    It's always nice to hear that I'm not the only one who struggles with this..
    I had actually gone over a month without buying a watch - then I bought 2 really cheap LED's, and 9 Non -working Citizens to work on (trying to get into repairs to help pay for this hobby) - and there it went, I fell off the wagon. That was 3 weeks ago, and I just bought an Alpha. I am going to try really REALLY hard to limit it - I have to. Bills won't get paid otherwise!

I tend to keep focussed on the area in which I feel most interested, so that makes things a lot clearer. There again I get job-lots, have them fixed and then flip the ones that won't fit into my themes.

I put an index card in the open slots of my watch box with the watch I would like to purchase, model number and price. When my watch budget account has the amount needed to purchase the watch, I will pull the trigger. Also, I put an estimated date of purchase on card. It helps to keep an eye on the prize and "impulse" watch purchases.
    zippofan, WNUT, falcon4311 and 3 others like this.
    "The race is long and,in the end, it's only with yourself..."

I had no real direction with my interest in watches when I first started researching online. After trying various styles I have narrowed my interest to dive watches. I am in the process of selling a couple watches, and I have a $40 watch incoming. After I let go of two I have now and get my new incoming I will be pretty happy with my affordable collection. At the moment there really aren't any affordable watches that I really want. I don't have any purchases lined up in the near future. The only watches that I want are in the >$1000 range so I am not tempted to purchase a watch in that price range at this point. I am just out of college and want to be content with my affordable collection for some time before I think about a Breitling Superocean. It's possible that I won't be able to rationalize the Breitling purchase later on, but I definitely don't have a burning desire to drop that kind of money right now. The only affordable watch that I can see tempting me is the possibility of a blue Seiko FFF mod. If there was a blue FFF dial made for the snzh53 I would sell something and buy that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information