WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Yet another New Years Giveaway

4K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  puchelaar 
#1 · (Edited)
True to my promise to Troy to pay it forward, and in celebration of my first week as an ex smoker, I am giving a watch away. The recipient will get to choose either a newish Shanghai 19 zuan:

or a vintage Poljot:

The Shanghai is on an inexpensive but decent leather strap and has only been worn a few times. I think it is a very elegant little thing, purely and proudly Chinese. I love the blood drop second hand. I'm offering this one because I have another inbound, a silver coloured one That I got for nearly nothing with eBay bucks.

The Poljot is a Soviet era automatic that I have not worn even once because it is on an extra long strap. It has shoulderless spring bars and I cannot, for the life of me, get them to come off the watch. I have tried and a girl at the watch strap counter at a local department store has tried. I imagine you could cut them out with wire cutters if you really wanted to change the strap. It is fairly nice though, if you have big wrists. This watch has a blemish on the dial at one o'clock, it looks like a blob of something oily has discoloured the finish. It is much more noticeable in the photo than it is in real life.

It's a great introduction to vintage Russian watches.

So the rules. Tell us what you like about either watch and pick a number below fifty. Winner will be chosen by Sarah. Sarah is my mentally challenged daughter, she will be totally random in her choice, but if you get her to notice you, you will have a life long friend. I'll let her pick a winner in about three or four days. Good luck.
Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice and generous giveaway! I'll play!

What I like about the Shanghai:
1. The logo looks gorgeous
2. I love the red date - that's not very common!
3. I love that interesting looking bead on the seconds hand

What I like about the Poljot:
1. I love the print style of the 12 and 6 on the dial - reminds me a bit of the style of the numbers on the dial of the HMT Janata
2. The pie-style (from the angle I'm seeing) of the dial, which reminds me a bit of the HMT Sona - one of my personal favorites!

Number of choice: 42

#3 ·
I absolutely love the Poljot. It looks like it has been loved and worn for a while. Even the leather strap on it seems like that perfect color to compliment it; having a large wrist to fit it doesn't hurt either. The double hour markers for 3 and 9 are really great looking as well as the thin enlongated 12 and 6. I would surely wear it a few days a week with my other and only watch if your daughter graced me with her pick so I would like to give a big hello!!!! to her from me!

As for my choice of numbers, I will have to choose 12 because I can not stop staring at the 12 on the face!

#4 ·
I think it's very kind and... how to put this... wellspirited (I know it's not a word, but I hope you'll get what I mean) that you do this...

I like the Chinese watch.

The reasons why I'm partaking:
- The red drop on the secondshand reminds me of my handicapped sister (she passed away 3 years ago) because a) her favourite colour was red and b) we put an art piece on her grave (instead of a stone) that has a round red piece of fused glass in it that shines bloodred when the sun shines through it (late afternoons in the summer).
- I usually don't like gold(en) details/hands/etc., but on classic looking watches like these they remind me of the watches both my grandfathers used to wear, and then I like it in spite of my tastes ;)
- I would probably not buy a watch like this, but would like to try one out and hopefully fall in love with it.

My number is 13 (my sister's birthday).

Should I win I will give another watch away, to keep the spirit going :)

#5 ·
Love this forum.

I am partial to the Poljot, so I'll only opine on that one.
I very much like the understated design, almost Bauhaus in its simplicity. The face of the watch has a glimmer to it that lends the impression of a more expensive watch, but without bein showy in a negative way. And the strap suits it perfectly.

#6 ·
Thanks for your generosity!

I really dig the Poljot. I have been wanting to get in to Soviet area watches for a while. There is something about that Cold War mystique. And the patina on the dial of this one is just amazing.

Gonna go with: 35 (my age)

#7 ·
Your very generous Dave! I'll play! I'd be happy with either!

1. Very clean dial.
2. Has a classic look to it.
3. The bead on the seconds hand and the red date wheel looks great together!

What I like about the Poljot:
1. Again, a very classic look to it!
2. I would love a Russian watch, very nice patina!
3. The strap looks great with it, I really like it!!!

Number of choice: 7

Best wishes to other contenders!

#8 ·
I think I'll play. Both are gorgeous and the Russian Poljot intrigues me.

I love the date window and the second hand too.
It reminds me of my own Shanghai built Jinji Golden Rooster - both are great looking.
Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery

I love the Poljot because of the elongated numerals and the double markers on 3 and 9.

Number is: 49.

Thanks for the chance - very generous of you.

#9 ·
Usually don't play these but I love both of these watches.

Shanghai:
That second hand is just too cool, I'm curious how it catches the light?
Dial is super clean and classy

Poljot:
I love the age on this piece. Vintage and classic.

Oops, forgot number: 27

#10 ·
Shanghai: As mentioned already, the red second hand + red date looks awesome
Poljot: honestly, for me, the most attractive thing is that its a Russian watch, I was born there so it has some sentimental value right off the bat. Actually looking to buy a Russian watch for my dad right now (and will probably buy one for myself in the future).

Number: 14 (since my last lucky # didn't work lol)

Thank you btw!

#13 ·
I've always admired the classy looks and well made Soviet watches but never had the funds to buy one. I like the Poljot because it will be a great introduction and learning experience for me. The blemish is not a problem and probably a bonus because it adds some story or character to the watch. I remember when I dinked or scratched my other watches on a certain occasion and it stood out as a reminder whenever i looked at it. Number 44.

#14 · (Edited)
You are a good man, true to his word.

I like the Poljot, clean classic look that will never go out of style. Plus I have big ol wrists and need the extra long strap.

My number is 36 double chai! 18 is the jewish number for life... Or Chai... Double down!

To your daughter... Pick me! Pick me! Hair Face Child Nose Skin

Thats my daughter sleeping right now:)

#15 ·
Hello!

Shanghai
What I really like about this watch is that it is genuinely Chinese, instead of it trying to hide its heritage. This is very encouraging as I am Chinese myself, and feel that Chinese watches (and their products, in general) are unfairly bashed. Anyway, I like the clean dial and its simplicity. The seconds hand with the 'blood drop' is an awesome detail.

Poljot
This watch is amazing looking. I like the dial very much, especially the extended indices and the sunburst pattern. The obviously aged look also adds much to the allure. If I were to win then I would want the Poljot.

Number 18

Thank you for the opportunity.

#17 · (Edited)
I like both watches. But since I have a Soviet era watch already, I'll save my praise for the Shanghai.

Unlike many Chinese watches which either hide where they are from or pretend to be something that the aren't, this watch makes no pretense. With "China Made" and "Shanghai" and Chinese characters right on the dial, this watch pays an unabashed tribute to the land of its birth.

A lot of good numbers have already been taken. I'm going with 40.

Cheers!
Packleader

#20 · (Edited)
|> Nice watches and thanks for the opportunity to own one!

I like the Poljot, because I like the idea of Soviet Era craftsmanship. They built these watches not to be flashy or stylish, but as a tool to tell time to help someone get their job done. At the end of the day that's what every watch is meant to do. It's unassuming and simple, yet extremely complex at the same time.

I also love the 12 and 6 - the retro typeface is refreshing.

I'd like to pick number 28.

thanks again!

#21 ·
CONGRATS on quiting smoking !!! thats awesome and a good gesture also. Good luck to all

#23 ·
I'll take number #17. And I love the Poljot. I love the vintage aesthetic with the big numbers and domed crystal. Also, I have an 8" wrist, so an extra long strap is a definite plus. I also don't own a single Russian watch but would like to.
Thank you for your generous offer, and good luck quitting smoking! It's hard but worth it. Take it from someone who's done it before.

#24 ·
Congratulations on quitting! May you remain "smoke-free" the rest of your long and happy life.

Your generosity is very much appreciated. I like these watches because they are simple, classic and vintage-looking. I especially like the Poljot because I have an 8.5 inch wrist.

I'll go with number 25

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.