Thread: AK Homme Watches

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AK Homme Watches

Has anyone had any experience with an AK Homme Watch?

Alpha 49mm Multifunction
    Alpha Submariner - Green Bezel
    DongFeng ST-5A
    Fuyate Multifunction Watch
    Fuyate Chrono Date
    Fuyate Day/Night
    Goer Diver
    Goer Skeleton
    Goer Military
    Invicta Pro Diver 8927
    Invicta Pro Diver Chronograph 12914
    MQJ Submariner
    Sea-Gull ST5 Black
    Sea-Gull ST5 White
    Shanghai A-581
    Shanghai 1524
    Shanghai 7120 Blue
    Shanghai 7120 Green
    Shanghai 7120 Red
    Shanghai 7120 White
    Swiss Legend Challenger
    Wilon Open heart
    Winner AquaRacer
    Winner Skeleton
    Winner Military
    Wuyi ST-2A

Re: AK Homme Watches

Never heard of them.
    Tianjin Jun Shi 天津君士潛海計時儀器 Military Diver
    Orient オリエント時計
    Blue TT Diver 2ER00004D
    Sea-Gull 海鷗手錶 Chrono 1963 Chinese Air Force Re-issue
    Casio カシオ G-Shock Riseman Solar Multi-band 6 GW9200-1
    Casio カシオ G-Shock White Solar Multi-band 6 GWM850-7CR
    Yes Watch The Kundalini L102.4
    Yes Watch The Cozmo Symbol #K501
    Seiko セイコー Men's SS Silver Dial SGF459
    Seiko セイコー Military Chronograph SDWB63P

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rich5665 View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with an AK Homme Watch?
    No experience to offer, but check out the related thread:

Anyone have any experience with Alias Kim?
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

They are not bad looking.
    Please Vostok put some real lume on your watches.

No they're not. Price isn't bad either. I may have to purchase one after I place an order for a Semdu. Of course I'm still working on a Parnis, a Sea-Gull and an Alpha. So many watches, so little money

Alpha 49mm Multifunction
    Alpha Submariner - Green Bezel
    DongFeng ST-5A
    Fuyate Multifunction Watch
    Fuyate Chrono Date
    Fuyate Day/Night
    Goer Diver
    Goer Skeleton
    Goer Military
    Invicta Pro Diver 8927
    Invicta Pro Diver Chronograph 12914
    MQJ Submariner
    Sea-Gull ST5 Black
    Sea-Gull ST5 White
    Shanghai A-581
    Shanghai 1524
    Shanghai 7120 Blue
    Shanghai 7120 Green
    Shanghai 7120 Red
    Shanghai 7120 White
    Swiss Legend Challenger
    Wilon Open heart
    Winner AquaRacer
    Winner Skeleton
    Winner Military
    Wuyi ST-2A

I bought an AK Homme watch a few months ago. It was nice to look at, it was more accurate than I predicted. The problem with it is that the movement is not shock resistant, I dropped mine on the wood flooring in my house, and it stopped working.
    The thing about Chinese watches is that they are nice to look at, but may not be durable enough for every day use.Also the water resistance is crap on most of them.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spac3_nerd View Post
    I bought an AK Homme watch a few months ago. It was nice to look at, it was more accurate than I predicted. The problem with it is that the movement is not shock resistant, I dropped mine on the wood flooring in my house, and it stopped working.
    The thing about Chinese watches is that they are nice to look at, but may not be durable enough for every day use.Also the water resistance is crap on most of them.
    I think you will find that any mechanical watch dropped on a hard surface will sustain damage. That goes for Russian, Japanese and Swiss. They all have 'shockproofing', just like the AK Homme does (there are no Chinese mech movements made without), but that will only protect the balance pivots up to a point.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

I have this model:

and have only had it for just over a month, it keeps very good time, only ran down once and needed to reset the time, the only problem is that it is a 39mm and even wearing my reading glasses it's very hard to read the date, the gap between the days is too small and the accuracy fails here and easily get an incorrect reading. Overall though I am very happy with it, and quite hefty weight considering it's size also very quiet!!
    Last edited by Reecek; October 20th, 2010 at 09:39.

I have an AK (Alias Kim or AK Homme) manual wind skeleton that my housemate gave me when he got a replacement from the seller, due to uneven dial placement. These basically cost the price of shipping from Hong Kong, as you can win the Ebay bid at $.99 and be the only bidder. The supply seems infinite. I must say the seller's service was beyond reproach (free replacement watch for an aesthetic problem, no request to return the first watch) and the watch keeps decent time unadjusted (-40s/24h, stable.)

Having said that, everything about these watches are the cheapest of the cheap. I personally like to play in this bottom tier to teach myself how to regulate movements, and I hope to learn how to lube and clean these disposables before I wreck a nice Seagull or something. One of these years maybe I'll even tear a few apart to appreciate some of the insights that Lysander has offered us here. So, these are ultra cheap and fun to play with, but don't expect a collectable watch.

Here's a picture of the AK along with a $7 "Jaragar" automatic. Note the off-center dials on the Jaragar. Perhaps you'll see the funny little orange paint-dots (we call them bindis ) on the AK that might have been attempts at looking like jewels on the copper-colored "gold" plate. Neither of these watches appear to have any lubrication on their movements, despite keeping pretty good time. Remember these are just toys, and rather disposable ones at that. But for $10-20, they offer a good chance to learn about mechanical movements.

i have heard of this watch before - theres been much history about these chinese made watches - and sadly the truth speaks for itself once you see what others as well as i have dscovered.

in 2008 - an ebay seller called "Sheffler and Sohne" brought out watches - stated as german watches however the item location was in hong kong - i decided to buy 2 and check them out they arrived in an odd contained with cheap instructions in attemped english and no warranty - i had to get the warranty in actual writing becasue of the simple reason "how does this company know what manufacture date my was when shipped to me to qualify for the 12 months period"

that company soon was terminated or mysteriously desappeared from ebay due to lisitng factors location and warranty - return issues.
    I must say winding lasts about 12 hours before needing to be shaken or worn again.

part 2 - last year another company formed in hong kong and listed themselves through ebay as the seller ''schaffer watches''. funny name similar..
    same deal on the listing - location stated as Australia however was really in hong kong. They also listed their price in GBP which is ludicrous - if its located in oz, it should AUS currency?

This time this company changed a few details on their terms and cond which were almost identical as the same as the first company i mentioned - different brand names now however some early models were the same! !
    except the charge time dropped to 6-8 hours. cheaper parts and terms and conditions changed from 12 month warranty to 180 days
    this time i decided to buy another two watches - one was faulty - another works well but doesnt keep the time as accurately.

I know this seems long but im getting to the point..

Another ebay seller ezwatch is selling the same watch as schaffer watches... same looking watch - same terms and conditions these two - even less time - yet they all have this in common - "we do not combine shipping as they are sent direct form the factory - only some discount of 0.05 gbp for purchses of ten or more...

do you see a pattern here??

the addresses were exactly the same in hong kong - differerent names but same apartment block, same high risetower - ALL THE SAME.
    i even googled the address of these and other ebay listers of these watches.. same white residential apartments - so why charge 30pounds for shipping fees when other ebay sellers who sell basic watches charge as low as 8aus?

This brings me to AK homme watches...
    look at ak homme and another brand IK - the IK skeleton watch with the black bezel that says tachymeter is the same as the shaffer watch - skeleton automatic watch - and the price is different...address maybe the same do your research to see if your AK watch is or was a former brand!

the suppliers of these watches change the labels.. in a year when one of them gets shut down - youll notice your ak homme which maybe faulty, (hey it may work perfectly), be an old brand which has been found by ebay and closed down..
    i know of at least 12 ebay sellers which are reproducing cheap chinese automatic watches under different labels year after year unoticed..
    firstly if you are visiting ebay - notice the following.
    ask their location - and not just hong kong - most power sellers and big ebay sellers have to provide their details - some list as location hong kong , hong kong, everywhere..
    red flag.
    also ask WHAT DOES THE 1 YEAR warranty mean? is it local one?? international one? who do they know whom theyve sent a watch to if theres no warranty paper work?
    if its not stated check..

i have details on investigations from china police and from the australian government about fraudlent transactions on items like these so called automatic watches.
    they cleverly re appear as another company the moment their found out.
    currently there are a few ebay watch sellers whom have 5 identities and are selling the same kind of watch incase they get investigated - then they use the other existing ones. so fourth and so fourth.

currently ezwatches or ezwatch and schaffer watches are the same dealer...
    im soon finding out about AK homme as theyre relatively new however if you trace the source and go deeper...
    i wouldnt be surpised that your ak homme in a year will be a new label...if not already

oh and if you still decide to go ahead with a purchase - you probably do not care that if yours is faulty, youll most likely never get a replacement. or a refund.
    stick to the tried and true unless inexpensive or affordable is what youre looking for.
    there is more than meets the eye..

2 examples these - are two listings from differetn sellers same watch!!
    Men's Mechanical Automatic Stainless Steel Watch I187bk (eBay item 120617061591 end time 03-Dec-10 01:56:47 AEDST) : Jewellery

A-21 NEW SCHAFFER FULL AUTOMATIC SKELETON WATCH BLACK (eBay item 270658745670 end time 07-Nov-10 09:33:04 AEDST) : Jewellery Watches

feel free to email or respond or if you have any questions.. - just beware and do your homework!!
    Last edited by DazMiguel; November 6th, 2010 at 20:04. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information