All About The Seagull ST-25 Movement

Thread: All About The Seagull ST-25 Movement

-->

All About The Seagull ST-25 Movement

So I just ordered a hand made flieger watch from Drudy that is powered by the ST-25 movement [Bottom watch - WatchNet: Trading Post: Pilot Watches - Hand Crafted - 3 to choose from - LQQK]. Since Dennis Rudy is a small time builder, I don't expect this watch to come with any kind of instruction manual. I'm hoping some of you experts will be able to tell me more about this movement and its functionality.

Obviously its an automatic, but I have seen some threads mention the ability to hand wind it as well. What's that all about? How do I hand wind it and how do I know when it is fully charged? I assume it will be able to hold time based on my motion, but I would like to understand this feature better.

How long can I leave this watch off my wrist before it dies? Can I hand wind it to keep it going if I don't wear it for a couple days?

Do you wind with the crown pushed all the way in? Does pulling the crown out once allow date adjustment or time?

I know I could probably figure a lot of this out based on trial and error when the watch arrives, but I've got time to kill until it comes. Thanks in advance!

EDIT - Pictures! Mine will come with a chestnut brown leather strap though.

Re: All About The Seagull ST-25 Movement

To change date - unscrew crown and pull out to the 1st click. Turn clockwise and you'll see the date change. Set to a day before the date you want and then do the final day by pulling crown out all the way (2nd click) and advance hands until the date changes. Best to set date when hour hand is between 3 and 9.

WR is 3atm or 30 meters. I would not swim with watch on.

The rotor winds in counterclockwise direction

To manually wind just unscrew the crown and wind either back and forth or in clockwise direction
    Current
    IWC Portuguese Chrono - 371401
    Eterna Matic Centenaire 1956 - 544-1429
    Jaeger LeCoultre 1942 - 2907
    Seiko Diver Auto - SKXA35
    Flieger 46mm - Custom Auto
    Emporio Armani

Prometheus OD GMT
    Meistersinger 01
    Helson Bronze Shark Diver 45mm Bronze bezel
    Jaeger LeCoultre Grande Reverso Ultra Thin

Past
    Breitling Chrono Avenger - 562
    Rolex Date 1970 - 1500
    Corum $20 Coin Watch 1987 - 5514556
    Stowa Marine Auto Date

and to add to that, there is a built in mechanism that disengages the winding when the mainspring is full. This is so the rotor on the back of the watch doesn't over wind and break itself. So just keep winging until you get tired- 40 revolutions should do it, but don't be scared to keep turning.
    Zenith El Primero 1969, Omega Aqua Terra 8500, Seagull ST8000SA Tourbillon, Stowa Antea KS, Rolex 14060m Submariner, Auguste Galan Moscato Skeleton Chronograph, Panerai Pam 48, Zeppelin 7618-1

Quote Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
    and to add to that, there is a built in mechanism that disengages the winding when the mainspring is full. This is so the rotor on the back of the watch doesn't over wind and break itself. So just keep winging until you get tired- 40 revolutions should do it, but don't be scared to keep turning.
    I don't think it is necessary to hand wind it completely. Just turn the crown a few times to get it going. The watch will continue to wind itself up as you are wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiTam View Post

To manually wind just unscrew the crown and wind either back and forth or in clockwise direction
    That's if it is a screw down crown. With its water resistance rating so low it seems doubtful. If that is the case then it just winds with the crown pushed in.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by lateasusual View Post
    That's if it is a screw down crown. With its water resistance rating so low it seems doubtful. If that is the case then it just winds with the crown pushed in.
    A screw down crown has little if anything to do with water resistance. That is the job of the gaskets on the stem, crystal and case back.
    With low WR ratings, it is those items that one needs to be wary of.

The whole reason for a screw down crown, is to meet ISO standards which require the crown/stem to not be jarred or otherwise moved out of position; thereby allowing potential water intrusion. Unless the crown is inadvertently banged against a rock, some coral or a hammerhead shark; the seals should be able to maintain the rated WR.

ST-25 is more like an enlarged clone of Rolex movement (exclude auto bridge) with in-house auto bridge on top and 77xx style date mechanism on the bottom. It is very stable and accurate movement (can stay on less than 2 second/day for several months if adjusted properally) but I don't know the durability.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information