Anyone know about Stauer watches?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone know about Stauer watches?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone know about Stauer watches?

I'm new here and have been looking for a thread about these. I think they're chinese but don't know for sure. They have some nice designs but I'm most interested in the magificat power reserve. If anyone knows anything about these and can tell me anything I'd appreciate it. I'm going to order one next week probably, but if I shouldn't please let me know. Thanks!

stuffler,mike

Re: Anyone know about Stauer watches?

If youŽll use the search function (above, black balk) typing just Stauer youŽll be lead to a lot of Stauer related posts

Thanks trying that now

Oh well, not too happy with what i've read so far. Looks like it's hit and miss with them but I still think I might try one. Wish they would just be honest and dispense with all the Heritage bit. I'm not afraid to try a chinese watch, I bought and Armitron Automatic and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPedersen View Post
    Oh well, not too happy with what i've read so far. Looks like it's hit and miss with them but I still think I might try one. Wish they would just be honest and dispense with all the Heritage bit. I'm not afraid to try a chinese watch, I bought and Armitron Automatic and love it.
    Made IN PRC

Angry Re: Anyone know about Stauer watches?

I bought one of these from a large newspaper ad that they run frequently featuring different watches. This one is supposed to be a replica of a watch designed many years ago by a famous watchmaker that would display, year, month, date, day and moon phase. The implication was that it would do this automatically. In fact year and month have to be set manually. The lettering on the subsidiary dials is so tiny if cannot be read by the naked eye. The moon phase dial is so dark I can't see it well enough to know if it's accurate or not. As for accuracy, Ha! I was intending to the check the accuracy of the watch by wearing in for a month and checking it against my LaCrosse radio controlled atomic watch. After two days it had gained seventeen seconds! Conclusion: these watches are pure and simple JUNK and I paid $239.00 for it. !@#$!@#$#@

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Jon30309 View Post
    I bought one of these from a large newspaper ad that they run frequently featuring different watches. This one is supposed to be a replica of a watch designed many years ago by a famous watchmaker that would display, year, month, date, day and moon phase. The implication was that it would do this automatically. In fact year and month have to be set manually. The lettering on the subsidiary dials is so tiny if cannot be read by the naked eye. The moon phase dial is so dark I can't see it well enough to know if it's accurate or not. As for accuracy, Ha! I was intending to the check the accuracy of the watch by wearing in for a month and checking it against my LaCrosse radio controlled atomic watch. After two days it had gained seventeen seconds! Conclusion: these watches are pure and simple JUNK and I paid $239.00 for it. !@#$!@#$#@
    You definitely overpaid; but 17 seconds in two days is within spec for any entry level mechanical and most mid range movements costing up to $1000 or more.

As for the other attributes; if it is a replica and most are true to the original, then the original was probably hard to read and use as well.

BTW...'replica' refers to an out and out fake while homage would be the correct term for a watch with Stauer, Alpha, AeroMatic or other brand on it which mimics some well known brand

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Getty View Post
    You definitely overpaid; but 17 seconds in two days is within spec for any entry level mechanical and most mid range movements costing up to $1000 or more.
    I agree; 17 seconds in 2 days (8.5sec/24hrs ) is about as good as you could expect from most non-COSC Swiss mechanicals.

As for the other attributes; if it is a replica and most are true to the original, then the original was probably hard to read and use as well.
    Sadly the story is completely bogus. The fact that both Steinhausen and Staur trot out the same story but with the names changed, and apply it to a watch of identical design should be a warning. Here's another company with their nose in the same feed-trough:
    http://www.wmswitzerland.com/en/catalog.asp
    WM "of Switzerland"

Note that these guys actually change the story to correctly attibute the first automatic wristwatch to John Harwood, rather than some fictitious Swiss guy. Now Google John Harwood and tell me whether you think this Stauer/Steinhausen/WM watch is a reissue of the world's first auto wristwatch

In fact the design - in terms of size, shape, detailing, fonts and function - is entirely contemporary ... and made by Dixmont Guangzhou watch company.

A colleague of mine has 3 Stauers.
    There are very good, inexpensive, Chinese made watches. They can be fragile; he dropped one on the carpet and the hands fell off. Another stopped working and a watchmaker told him it wasn't worth the $$ to fix, so just "get another one". He did.

Just know what you're buying. They aren't Swiss!
    Phil Hill, April 20, 1927-August 28, 2008

Hi, my advice is don't touch them with a barge pole. I bought one of the "Graves" models in May 2009 and since then the company has replaced the watch five times as they keep giving up the ghost on average I think they seem to last about four months. Yes they look nice but are of really inferior quality. I understand that the movement is made in China on mass. Thankfully they agreed to give me my money back last week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information