Buying a Parnis? Read this first! - Page 18
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

Just wanted to update. I ordered from parnis watch. Net and the email so far has been quick. Also, I emailed manbush and he got back to me in less than a day. Nice!! Getat still has not answered a question from last week.
    1) Invicta Signature Pro Diver 7042 on Watchadoo brushed SS bracelet
    2) Casio Databank CA53W-1 Calculator Watch
    3) Hamilton Langdon circa 1948-1952 on gold-filled Speidel bracelet
    4) Bulova Precisionist Champlain Rose Gold 98B152
    5) Luminox 3051.BO Black Out (Navy SEALs edition)
    6) Steinhart B-Uhr Bronze 47mm
    7) Omega Planet Ocean 45mm 232.30.46.21.01.001
    8) Borealis Sea Dragon White/Steel
    In order of acquired. Numerous previously owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Just a heads up:
    I've had this a while - bought it before I swore never to buy another Chinese watch.

It ticks fine, and keeps reasonably good time for what it is.

But it always bugged me for some reason - like the pea under the mattress kind of thing.
    Well, today I figured out what that pea is.

The markers are off: they don't line up.
    I ask you: How freekin hard is it to get the marker positions right??
    I just *hate* the sloppiness that begins with the sloppy attitude of "close 'nuf."
    Incompetent pooheads!

See for yourselves:

Attachment 1584518
    Just so you know, when you take a picture of something there is always a bit of distortion. Sometimes there can be a lot of distortion. You can even put a camera on a stand, take two pictures, lay them on top of each other and see a difference in the images caused by distortion. Also, the angle you take the picture at can, it's almost impossible to take a picture from a perfect angle, have a big effect when it comes to alignment and symmetry. Another thing to consider is that, when you look at something, your brain is taking two images and stitching them together to make one image. You would be surprised at how things are quite different then how we see them. And eveyone sees and interprets what they see differently. Also, watch dials are not symmetrical or the same on both sides. You have one digit numbers on one side, two digit numbers on the other side. That will make the dial look unbalanced, out of alignment or not symmetrical to a certain point. Some people are able to see that better then others. Here's an experiment that you can do: take a high quality watch that has a rotating bezel with a lot of markers on it. Like this:

Now look at the watch, don't move your head or the watch. Line up the markers at 12. Again, don't move you head or watch. Look at the markers around the watch with your eyes. They will start to look out of alignment as you go around the watch. That's because your two eyes are viewing the markers at differnt angles and your brain has to stitch the two images into one. Even if you close one eye, they will look out of alignment, because your one eye is viewing the markers at differnt angles as your eye moves around the dial. If you're a person who likes symmetry, it can drive you crazy, when actually, nothing is wrong. You just have to remember that things aren't always how we see them. For you to see the dial perfectly, your eyes would have to be perfectly aligned in three dimensions with each other and the watch, your eyes would have to be perfect in all regards and your brain would have to perfectly stitch the two images into a single image. It's really amazing that we see things as well as we do.
    Last edited by Shawnny; August 3rd, 2014 at 20:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnny View Post
    Just so you know, when you take a picture of something there is always a bit of distortion. Sometimes there can be a lot of distortion....
    Duly noted.
    But just so you know, I am more than well aware of this phenom.

In fact the photo I used shows a SMALLER deviation than how it actually is - due precisely to said distortion.
    My watch's dial is off by a WHOLE minute.
    The pic shows, inaccurately due to said distortion, only half a minute.

But I am not gonna disassemble the watch, and draw a line directly on the dial to make my point further.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Duly noted.
    But just so you know, I am more than well aware of this phenom.

In fact the photo I used shows a SMALLER deviation than how it actually is - due precisely to said distortion.
    My watch's dial is off by a WHOLE minute.
    The pic shows, inaccurately due to said distortion, only half a minute.

But I am not gonna disassemble the watch, and draw a line directly on the dial to make my point further.

I don't see anything close to a minute. In fact your green line at the bottom doesn't look perfectly in the middle of the marker. Take a pair of calipers and start measuring markers around the dial and see if you come up with any big differences.

I have the exact same watch and mine looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnny View Post
    I have the exact same watch and mine looks fine.
    same here

chico
    EMG -- hked -- Seiko -- Deep blue -- Alpha

Welp, I placed my order with Parnis Watch USA today so they are officially on the clock.

I did almost back out at one point after I tried to buy the watch but there website wasn't set up for pay pal (wtf?!). Possibly against my better judgement and the wisdom this thread, I'm rollin the proverbial dice for sapphire crystal, a 'two year warranty', and US-based service. Totally going with my gut and surprisingly looking forward to being a guinea pig and seeing what I end up with. At $90 total, I figure eh, why not?!

We'll see how it works out in 2-4 weeks!
    chicolabronse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott25.stl View Post
    Welp, I placed my order with Parnis Watch USA today so they are officially on the clock.

I did almost back out at one point after I tried to buy the watch but there website wasn't set up for pay pal (wtf?!). Possibly against my better judgement and the wisdom this thread, I'm rollin the proverbial dice for sapphire crystal, a 'two year warranty', and US-based service. Totally going with my gut and surprisingly looking forward to being a guinea pig and seeing what I end up with. At $90 total, I figure eh, why not?!

We'll see how it works out in 2-4 weeks!

Be sure to keep us updated. I am leaning towards Man Bush, but I prefer the white dial over the silver dial Man Bush has. If everything goes smoothly for you I may be persuaded to switch

i really doubt they would honor a 2 year warranty. My experience with parnis with various sellers a lot of recommended ones too, is at least half the one i bought had minor issue to major issue. If this is your first Mechanical Watch you would be better served with a Seiko 5 or an Orient, both have in house movements and are about as reliable as you can get for that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by mike70sk View Post
    If this is your first Mechanical Watch you would be better served with a Seiko 5 or an Orient, both have in house movements and are about as reliable as you can get for that price point.
    Can't argue with that but you ain't getting nothing from seiko or orient that's got the looks of the parnis power reserve!

chico
    Dark_K likes this.
    EMG -- hked -- Seiko -- Deep blue -- Alpha

Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread Information