Buying a Parnis? Read this first! - Page 38
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

So GMT 43mm arrived. Well... bezel insert is not glued in 100% correctly it's a little bit off, probably 0,3mm, also numbers on the bezel are not placed correctly, single numbers are placed correctly right in the middle of the dots that represent uneven numbers but double numbers are not in the middle of the dots as they should be, dumdum who designed it is probably eather blind or stupid These kind of things make me mad, how much effort does it take for the dumbass in the factory to give a damn to give it a second look and do it correctly??? I am not sending it back cause I had to pay import taxes, handlenig fee + I'll have to pay shipping to china. These are small flaws but so damn irritating Lugs are actually 21mm, I can live with that and 22mm leather band still fit there but srsly, what idiot thought that this is a great idea? Movement has quite alot of play while setting it up but I knew that from the reviews, after a few attempts I managed to set it all correctly and it works fine after that with accuracy 19s/day sofar.

Crooked insert

When I set it in the right position you see the 12 in the bottom in the wrong place

To positives - it looks very good, finish is also good, not Seiko good but good. Bracelet is great, solid links and endlinks, I love that pin wholes are higher and closer to the case than usual so when you put it on leather there is no moster gap. I think 40mm version would look even better than 43mm.

Pics

outsidesmoke07 likes this.
    Follow the white rabbit -> Hidden Content

Well... just managed to fix crooked bezel insert without damaging it or taking it off. I thought that they just slapped it in and the glue didnt have time to stiffen yet so while holding the case I tried to push the insert around in the bezel with thumbs while heating it up with friction and little by little it moved! It's fixed now :D I am a happy duck
    Deegan42 likes this.
    Follow the white rabbit -> Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ARMADUK View Post
    Well... just managed to fix crooked bezel insert without damaging it or taking it off. I thought that they just slapped it in and the glue didnt have time to stiffen yet so while holding the case I tried to push the insert around in the bezel with thumbs while heating it up with friction and little by little it moved! It's fixed now :D I am a happy duck
    I'm glad you were able to find a fix. It's obnoxious that their quality control is so poor, but at least poor in a user-fixable way. I think you're right about 43mm vs. 40mm too- those flaws certainly show up larger on a bigger watch.

I'll be interested in hearing how the GMT works. It seems like a lot of the cheaper GMT movements have problems with the hand lining up properly, and moving at the correct speed. I also hope the movement slows down as it breaks in, most Parnis watches do better than +19 sec/day.

The lume actually looks pretty decent! That's one area where I've found Parnis lacking, they really cheap out on the lume.
    ARMADUK likes this.

Hello everybody. This is my first post. I know with certain forums that people tend to neglect first posts, but I'm hoping to find some information. I am currently studying to become a pilot. As such, I need a timepiece that is relatively inexpensive, is also accurate, and looks damn good on my wrist. I did some looking around for about a week now, and I think that the style that I am looking for is the Parnis pilot style watches. I just like how they look, and I think I want to make that watch the first purchase I make. Upon researching these watches I came across this thread, so I thought I may as well ask some questions.
    So far the style that I am looking for is one that includes a date counter, has a second hand (not the small dial), is automatic, and has a window at the back of the watch (just cause I like the way it looks). Other than that I've heard that seagull movement is the one to look for (is this true)? If anyone could point me in the direction of some reputable dealers I would very much appreciate it. I'm a Canadian resident. Also if anyone has any thoughts about these watches I'd be interested to know. I have a fairly large wrist, so I'm not sure if the strap that it comes with will fit me or not.
    Thanks so much.

Also I have found some versions of the watch that I like on Ebay, but I don't know if I am allowed to post the links on this website. So if someone could let me know if that is allowable I'd appreciate that. Thanks

Welcome to the forum, Bartok, and good luck with your plans to become a pilot. A pilot-style watch will certainly help you complete the look, and is a good way to get into mechanical watches. The nice thing about a Parnis is it'll help you refine your preferences for later, when you can afford to spend a bit more. The caveat with Parnis is that they're a great value for the price, but they'll still look and feel a little cheap compared to the micro-brands charging in to $500+ range. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least consider a brand like Steinhart- these are high value as well, with features like fancier movements, antireflective coating (important in bright environments), and better lume (great for night) that you won't find in Parnis (Pilot Watch - Steinhart Watches - fine exclusive timepieces). If you want to look the part on the ground Parnis is fine, but if you want useability in the air you should go a little higher end.

That aside, the retailers I'd recommend are the ones mentioned in the first post of this thread. The forum software doesn't allow their web addresses to be posted directly, but if you Google the names they'll pop right up. Definitely peruse a few of them- they all have similar (sometimes the same) stock, but each also has some unique styles. I've had good experience personally with parniswatchnet and manbush.

I think you're going to have trouble finding pilot-style watches that are both automatic, and have a clear caseback. For some reason (historical styling, I presume), Pilot watches tend to be handwound with a clear caseback, or automatic with a solid caseback. I could be wrong, but my brief search right now isn't finding much.

You should be ok posting ebay links here, as long as they're not trademark counterfeiting.

Couple other things I should mention-

The various Parnis sellers typically have hundreds or thousands of different styles for sale. Their sites are also organized very poorly, and with inconsistent naming conventions and useless search tools. To really find what you want, you just have to manually search all those thousands of options. I enjoy that, but you may not.

If I convinced you to upgrade to a micro-brand, there's a whole forum here Pilots' & Military watches of pilot watch enthusiasts who could suggest specific models that fit your desired particulars. I don't own a Parnis pilot watch, but I worry about that giant flat crystal without AR coating just turning into a mirror in a bright environment. Look how much reflection I get off of my Panerai-style crystal while indoors.

Name:  2016-05-01 19.30.40.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  943.0 KB

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate the detailed information that you gave. Unfortunately for me, I'm a student pilot, which is a very expensive investment for me already. Although the watches you listed look fantastic, they are greatly out of my price range. I'm looking for more of a best bang for the buck type scenario, and $150 Cad is about all I can spend. If you think that there are any brands I should look into that I haven't considered please let me know. The glare doesn't bother me too much as we are always wearing sunglasses anyway's. The night luminescence may be a bit weak but I will address that in the future anyway, as I have my eye on a cassio g-shock model for night flying and greater functionality. I essentially spent a week looking at the top lists on google for best pilot watches, and I really liked the parnis for the price range they offer. I've been checking out the websites in the first post and have narrowed my search down to a few watches. I have seen some of the automatic parnis watches that have window backs, but the one in particular that I like has a solid backing. I'm curious if it is possible to change the back without interfering with the mechanisms inside. For instance if I got 2 parnis watches for a deal, both the same size, would the backs be interchangeable? Thanks again for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok14 View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate the detailed information that you gave. Unfortunately for me, I'm a student pilot, which is a very expensive investment for me already. Although the watches you listed look fantastic, they are greatly out of my price range. I'm looking for more of a best bang for the buck type scenario, and $150 Cad is about all I can spend. If you think that there are any brands I should look into that I haven't considered please let me know. The glare doesn't bother me too much as we are always wearing sunglasses anyway's. The night luminescence may be a bit weak but I will address that in the future anyway, as I have my eye on a cassio g-shock model for night flying and greater functionality. I essentially spent a week looking at the top lists on google for best pilot watches, and I really liked the parnis for the price range they offer. I've been checking out the websites in the first post and have narrowed my search down to a few watches. I have seen some of the automatic parnis watches that have window backs, but the one in particular that I like has a solid backing. I'm curious if it is possible to change the back without interfering with the mechanisms inside. For instance if I got 2 parnis watches for a deal, both the same size, would the backs be interchangeable? Thanks again for your help!
    If bang for buck is the main issue, I think you might want to check out the pilots in the Seiko 5 range (I know this is a Chinese watch forum, please don't kill me!). The SNK80* has become a sort of classic and is less than half your budget.
    Last edited by KtWUS; June 8th, 2016 at 03:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok14 View Post
    Hello everybody. This is my first post. I know with certain forums that people tend to neglect first posts, but I'm hoping to find some information. I am currently studying to become a pilot. As such, I need a timepiece that is relatively inexpensive, is also accurate, and looks damn good on my wrist. I did some looking around for about a week now, and I think that the style that I am looking for is the Parnis pilot style watches. I just like how they look, and I think I want to make that watch the first purchase I make. Upon researching these watches I came across this thread, so I thought I may as well ask some questions.
    So far the style that I am looking for is one that includes a date counter, has a second hand (not the small dial), is automatic, and has a window at the back of the watch (just cause I like the way it looks). Other than that I've heard that seagull movement is the one to look for (is this true)? If anyone could point me in the direction of some reputable dealers I would very much appreciate it. I'm a Canadian resident. Also if anyone has any thoughts about these watches I'd be interested to know. I have a fairly large wrist, so I'm not sure if the strap that it comes with will fit me or not.
    Thanks so much.
    I bought this watch from this seller a little while ago:
    47mm Parnis Gray Dial Seagull 2551 Automatic Mens Wrist Watch P38C | eBay

The watch is really nice and has great wrist presence. The only issue with the watch is that the rotor is LOUD and this makes it sound cheap. The watch itself keeps great time.

The seller is fantastic! It was the second Parnis I bought off them. I had an issue with the clasp (it was terrible) so the seller shipped out a new clasp for me straight away.

Parnis is can be a bit of a minefield in terms of who to buy from. From what I read about the brand e watches are decently made however sellers can be hit and miss.

Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread Information