Buying a Parnis? Read this first! - Page 4
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 431
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    127

    Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

    About to pull the trigger on one. I think I'll go with Manbu this time. :P
    Cheers,

    Jonathan

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    104

    Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

    anyone have any experience with "parnishop.com"? im specifically interested in this watch

    PNC0009 Parnis Blue Dial 40MM Quartz Chronograph Watch [PNC0009] - $65.00 : Parnishop, Parnis Watch, Marina Militare Watch
    Chanthol likes this.

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1

    Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

    after seeing their name come up a few times, I decided to purchase a few watches from Parnis ...... and I can recommend them just due to fast shipping and I found their site a little better than the rest. I had trouble just placing an order on one site
    Last edited by guarev; June 1st, 2013 at 23:00.

  4. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

    Ric et al.- I'm new to the WUS world and certainly to Parnis. I'm happy to see this thread since I just pulled the trigger from dajiwatch (I didn't see this thread prior to ordering so it's a relief I made a good decision and went with a known and reputable seller) on a 44mm MM lefty. I made the upgrades dajiwatch.com offered for the sapphire and swan neck but I'm worried that the movement is actually not that good and will die within a year. I'm hoping somebody within the community can recommend a better movement if the Asia 6497 w/swan neck isn't any good.
    Although it may seem odd, do any of these Parnis lend themselves to having the crown guard swapped out for a better one (ie from Amazon)? It would seem the treads on the crown guard and lugs would have to be a perfect match for the aftermarket products out there (I think of Amazon on that point for crown guards and screws). May seem like a waste on a sub $100 watch to put expensive parts on it but I want something that's going to last and hold-up to normal wear.

    I appreciate any feedback and look forward to getting mine soon!
    Last edited by ajk170; June 2nd, 2013 at 19:43.

  5. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    776

    Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
    Ric et al.- I'm new to the WUS world and certainly to Parnis. I'm happy to see this thread since I just pulled the trigger from dajiwatch (I didn't see this thread prior to ordering so it's a relief I made a good decision and went with a known and reputable seller) on a 44mm MM lefty. I made the upgrades dajiwatch.com offered for the sapphire and swan neck but I'm worried that the movement is actually not that good and will die within a year. I'm hoping somebody within the community can recommend a better movement if the Asia 6497 w/swan neck isn't any good.
    Although it may seem odd, do any of these Parnis lend themselves to having the crown guard swapped out for a better one (ie from Amazon)? It would seem the treads on the crown guard and lugs would have to be a perfect match for the aftermarket products out there (I think of Amazon on that point for crown guards and screws). May seem like a waste on a sub $100 watch to put expensive parts on it but I want something that's going to last and hold-up to normal wear.

    I appreciate any feedback and look forward to getting mine soon!
    I wouldn't worry about the movement being unreliable. The Asian 6497 (be it from sea-gull, hangzhou or dixmont) is a workhorse and should last for many many years. I have many chinese cheapies and all of them keep great time and function perfectly well.

    If you want a subjectively "better" movement, a swiss ETA/Unitas 6497 should be a direct drop-in replacement. In fact, many, if not all parts of the swiss or asian 6497 are interchangeable.

    I'm not sure I understand why you would want to switch the crown guard out? What's wrong with the one already on the watch? Anyway, if you insist on this, the threading is done on the case only, the crown guard only has through-holes with a counter-bore for the screw heads, so anything with the correct distance between the holes would let you re-use the screws and plop a new one on.

    With that said, I've had a MM from china for the last half year or so, and I really cannot fault the watch, especially at the price I paid for it.
    Said in the most interesting man in the world's voice: "I don't always like mechanical chronographs, but when I do, I prefer Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content ."

    Citizen BM8120-56E, Invicta 0368 II, Parnis Power Reserve, Sterile Submariner Homage, Sterile PAM Homage, Vostok Amphibia 420379, Garton Flieger, Alpha Explorer II GMT, Orient ER2700BB, Obris Morgan Branco PVD, circa 1970 Rado Voyager.

  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

    Quote Originally Posted by snaky59 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the movement being unreliable. The Asian 6497 (be it from sea-gull, hangzhou or dixmont) is a workhorse and should last for many many years. I have many chinese cheapies and all of them keep great time and function perfectly well.

    If you want a subjectively "better" movement, a swiss ETA/Unitas 6497 should be a direct drop-in replacement. In fact, many, if not all parts of the swiss or asian 6497 are interchangeable.

    I'm not sure I understand why you would want to switch the crown guard out? What's wrong with the one already on the watch? Anyway, if you insist on this, the threading is done on the case only, the crown guard only has through-holes with a counter-bore for the screw heads, so anything with the correct distance between the holes would let you re-use the screws and plop a new one on.

    With that said, I've had a MM from china for the last half year or so, and I really cannot fault the watch, especially at the price I paid for it.

    @Snaky59- Thanks for the feedback on the movement- I'm really new to the modifications of watches and certainly to the Chinese watch world as well is this really helps to know that there is a direct replacement (albeit far more expensive).

    The watch guard was a thought I had after looking at several youtube reviews before I pulled the trigger in which they highlighted cheap guards that clearly wobbled. To be fair, those reviews did not specify if they were Parnis. So to be proactive I did some simple searches an found those from Amazon. I then found this thread in which the OP points out that a new strap is almost a guarantee (of course that is an opinion and the OP's preference but I'm probably going to agree and already looking for alternatives). I really like the look of the Parnis and being a lefty it was great to find this in a left handed model.
    Needless to say I'm excited to get it and add it to the rotation.

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    776

    Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
    @Snaky59- Thanks for the feedback on the movement- I'm really new to the modifications of watches and certainly to the Chinese watch world as well is this really helps to know that there is a direct replacement (albeit far more expensive).

    The watch guard was a thought I had after looking at several youtube reviews before I pulled the trigger in which they highlighted cheap guards that clearly wobbled. To be fair, those reviews did not specify if they were Parnis. So to be proactive I did some simple searches an found those from Amazon. I then found this thread in which the OP points out that a new strap is almost a guarantee (of course that is an opinion and the OP's preference but I'm probably going to agree and already looking for alternatives). I really like the look of the Parnis and being a lefty it was great to find this in a left handed model.
    Needless to say I'm excited to get it and add it to the rotation.
    I'm not particularily picky when it comes to strap, all my Parnises are on their original straps except the MM which I switched for a MM style bracelet for the summer, I don't like wearing leather when it's hot out.

    They are clearly there for placeholding purposes, but they aren't the worst I've worn. The one I got with my MM was actually very nice, supple and thick.

    Like the OP says, parnis is not a brand, anybody can go and print it on their watches, so if the maker uses the same case as the video you saw, but decided to print Parnis on it, you'll get the wobbly crown guard.

    FWIW, mine has some play(else it wouldn't work at all), but is not loose, rattly nor wobbly.
    Said in the most interesting man in the world's voice: "I don't always like mechanical chronographs, but when I do, I prefer Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content ."

    Citizen BM8120-56E, Invicta 0368 II, Parnis Power Reserve, Sterile Submariner Homage, Sterile PAM Homage, Vostok Amphibia 420379, Garton Flieger, Alpha Explorer II GMT, Orient ER2700BB, Obris Morgan Branco PVD, circa 1970 Rado Voyager.

  8. #38
    Member absoluteczech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    173

    Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

    im thinking about buying my first parnis, but cant decide whether to get one from parniswatch.net or manbus ...?

  9. #39
    Member Ric Capucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Expat Brit living in Zürich, Switzerland
    Posts
    6,298

    Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    im thinking about buying my first parnis, but cant decide whether to get one from parniswatch.net or manbus ...?
    Toss a coin, mate.

    Ric

  10. #40
    Member absoluteczech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    173

    Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Capucho View Post
    Toss a coin, mate.

    Ric
    I kind of figured. Thanks!

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 6 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •