Buying a Parnis? Read this first! - Page 7
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Re: Buying a Parnis? Read this first!

Thanks for this thread, very educational. I consider myself a well-informed WIS in many areas but Chinese watches and Parnis are not among them. Always happy when those more knowledgeable take the time and make the effort to share with those less well informed.

Funny thing, I've pointed one or two folks in other forums to this thread. One basically said two things nearly simultaneously - that they were a novice on Chinese watches AND that Parnis didn't work the way the folks in this thread say and really is a monolithic company like traditional watch makers like Seiko or Omega. Amazing.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing all this information.
    Last edited by Docrwm; September 15th, 2013 at 15:27.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

I've purchased two from ebay. Both are beautiful, keep great time, have very nice straps and came packaged better then any watch that has been sent to my house. They are both a lot of watch for the price I paid. And, if I were unfortunate enough to damage one, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm a newbie so forgive me if I have missed something, but...
    I purchased a Parnis GMT-MASTER II Automatic homage from Manb and it works ok, but it seems as if the crown tube sticks out a little too much and when I pull the crown out to the first position it sets the GMT hand when wound in the downward direction, that works fine, but when I turn it upwards to advance the date, it starts to thread onto the crown tube and I have to loosen it again and go pretty well day by day. It seems as the first detent is too close to the crown tube.
    I intend to open up the back and have a look around, I have been reading as much as I can find about movements and see if somethings loose.
    Does anyone have any insight into the watch and if this is a common problem. Manb does not list which movements are in his watches but some surfing here suggests that it will be a 2813 cheapy Chinese movement.
    Thanks in advance and again if I am being dense please treat me gently. :)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Porter View Post
    I'm a newbie so forgive me if I have missed something, but...
    I purchased a Parnis GMT-MASTER II Automatic homage from Manb and it works ok, but it seems as if the crown tube sticks out a little too much and when I pull the crown out to the first position it sets the GMT hand when wound in the downward direction, that works fine, but when I turn it upwards to advance the date, it starts to thread onto the crown tube and I have to loosen it again and go pretty well day by day. It seems as the first detent is too close to the crown tube.
    I intend to open up the back and have a look around, I have been reading as much as I can find about movements and see if somethings loose.
    Does anyone have any insight into the watch and if this is a common problem. Manb does not list which movements are in his watches but some surfing here suggests that it will be a 2813 cheapy Chinese movement.
    Thanks in advance and again if I am being dense please treat me gently. :)
    It's probably either the DG3804B or the Shanghai B movement.
    Part of the problem with Parnis is that there is no one factory assembling these things so quality and QC vary a lot.
    The movements themselves are relatively robust and reliable. The problem comes in when different assemblers put them in an assortment of different cases.

The most likely scenario here is that the stem was clipped just a little too short. That is why the crown catches and begins to thread down when setting the date.
    Unfortunately, if that is the problem, a new stem will be required

I'm thinking about picking up this sterile gmt master ii from parniswatch.net. I read that a wholesale price is available after registering with the website but that alone isn't working for me. The site lists instructions (order 20+ watches), but I was wondering if there's another way to get there?

I may be wrong but wholesale pricing by signing up is only on dajiwatch and manbush I believe
    Said in the most interesting man in the world's voice: "I don't always like mechanical chronographs, but when I do, I prefer Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content ."

Citizen BM8120-56E, Invicta 0368 II, Parnis Power Reserve, Sterile Submariner Homage, Sterile PAM Homage, Vostok Amphibia 420379, Garton Flieger, Alpha Explorer II GMT, Orient ER2700BB, Obris Morgan Branco PVD, circa 1970 Rado Voyager.

I found this guy on Ebay: wangxiaohong522
    And he's selling a huge amount of different Parnis watches. Had contact with him and he's giving a 1 year warranty and 30 day return. I'm still not sure whether of not I should buy one through Ebay after reading your post though. Although this guy is actually replying to emails and answering as much questions as he can, so it seems like a better seller then the one you're talking about in the post.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by raxious View Post
    I found this guy on Ebay: wangxiaohong522
    And he's selling a huge amount of different Parnis watches. Had contact with him and he's giving a 1 year warranty and 30 day return. I'm still not sure whether of not I should buy one through Ebay after reading your post though. Although this guy is actually replying to emails and answering as much questions as he can, so it seems like a better seller then the one you're talking about in the post.
    I checked out his negative feedback and he does seem to be a decent fellow. He isn't rude to his customers. Most of the ones in the negative category seem to be quite unreasonable in their expectations

Apart from my lack of affection for anything Parnis; I would feel comfortable buying from this seller.

You can't really judge a seller by his pre sales communications...it's the after sale communication that is the most important. But I suspect this seller is probably a stand up guy

Quote Originally Posted by Pawl_Buster View Post
    I checked out his negative feedback and he does seem to be a decent fellow. He isn't rude to his customers. Most of the ones in the negative category seem to be quite unreasonable in their expectations

Apart from my lack of affection for anything Parnis; I would feel comfortable buying from this seller.

You can't really judge a seller by his pre sales communications...it's the after sale communication that is the most important. But I suspect this seller is probably a stand up guy
    Thanks for the quick response. Is it actually a common thing for Parnis watches to look the same but have a different name? I found 2 models that looked the same, just the text on it was different.

Banned

I have four Parnii (I suppose that would be the proper plural for Parnis) and haven't had a problem with any of them. In fact, I'm quite surprised by the quality of the watches considering that I didn't pay more than $100 for any of them. I think they represent great value.

My latest is this quartz.

Name:  Parnis Chrono 2.JPG
Views: 3707
Size:  38.0 KB
    canadian300zx likes this.

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information