Chinese Watch Industry Wiki - Page 14
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Re: Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by saskwatch View Post
    I can help with some of it:

“七一” = 71 = qiyi = July 1. I've never seen one.

Zijinshan = Purple Mountain.

SN3 (looks like tongji but not tongji?), "friendship with Taiwan" = Shiyou.

My Shiyou has what I think is an SN5 inside, but it appears that the article is calling it an SN3. Or is the SN5 based on the SN3?

What happened between 1960 and 1968?
    Thanks for your help.

I have a few watches with that SN3 movement. But none of them are signed. Is your watch signed SN5?

Nanjing's best movement could be that Roamer R372 copy similar to Beijing model one's. But it was not mentioned. Pehaps, they were just imported left over ones?

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    Thanks for your help.

I have a few watches with that SN3 movement. But none of them are signed. Is your watch signed SN5?

Nanjing's best movement could be that Roamer R372 copy similar to Beijing model one's. But it was not mentioned. Pehaps, they were just imported left over ones?
    The movement inside my Shiyou is not signed, but movements of this design have been called SN5 on the CMW forum. I reread an old thread about it, and it appears that we may be basing the idea that there was an SN5 on what one seller said once.

Of course I don't know, but the Nanjing Roamer-style movement could possibly be imported. There are many other examples of watch factories using outsourced movements and/or parts before manufacturing their own.
    See my collection of Vintage Chinese Mechanical watches at Hidden Content

Well, as I knew they would, the spambots have already arrived. :( Some 16 spam accounts were registered while I slept last night. Three cheers to Saskwatch who responded quickly by blocking all of them and undoing all their revisions. I have temporarily disabled the ability to create new accounts, and I sincerely apologise to any legitimate would-be contributors who are inconvenienced by this. This evening I will try to find time to install the ConfirmAccount extension, which should put an end to this kind of thing, after which I will open account creation up again. Hopefully it won't be too long before things are running like normal again.
    No VCM, no life | The Hidden Content is back! Serve the People by contributing your knowledge.

Hi folks, a quick update. I have the ConfirmAccount extension installed, but it is dependent upon Mediawiki being able to send email, and I'm having trouble getting that to work. But I'm working on it, and hope to have things running normally ASAP. Sorry again for the delay.
    No VCM, no life | The Hidden Content is back! Serve the People by contributing your knowledge.

I think that everything should be working now! I have created a dummy account to test the new account confirmation system, and it seemed to work, but I'm not super confident about it because I had to do some ugly hacks to get it working (it turns out the ConfirmAccount extension is not designed to support SQLite :(). If you'd like an account at the wiki, please request one and I will endeavour to approve it within 24 hours. If you experience any kind of technical problems, please send me a PM!

JF,

Thanks for your efforts - along with other contributors - in rebuilding the Wiki; I have also done some extremely minor contributions as well.

Judging by pages like that on watch brands, I hope it's alright for me to make a suggestion.

The list is organised in alphabetical order, but when a Chinese name is put in it takes the first place. This may or may not be a major issue, but here is something I would do personally:

Chinese watches were marked in three manners: Roman transliteration, English, and Chinese, and sometimes a particular brand could be marked in more than one way. For instance, Shuangling and Double Rhomb were both used on the watch dial, although I am not sure if examples were marked as such.

Therefore, I wish to make a suggestion of putting the names on the left-most column in a unified format, such as in this transliteration - English - Chinese format. Using the previous example, it would be Shuangling - Double Rhomb - 雙菱 . If any of them was never used, we would either mark it as such (say, in italic) or leave it blank altogether.

I feel that this method has some merits but it'd be interesting to see how fellow members think about it. Thanks!
    Time On My Hands likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    JF,

Thanks for your efforts - along with other contributors - in rebuilding the Wiki; I have also done some extremely minor contributions as well.

Judging by pages like that on watch brands, I hope it's alright for me to make a suggestion.

The list is organised in alphabetical order, but when a Chinese name is put in it takes the first place. This may or may not be a major issue, but here is something I would do personally:

Chinese watches were marked in three manners: Roman transliteration, English, and Chinese, and sometimes a particular brand could be marked in more than one way. For instance, Shuangling and Double Rhomb were both used on the watch dial, although I am not sure if examples were marked as such.

Therefore, I wish to make a suggestion of putting the names on the left-most column in a unified format, such as in this transliteration - English - Chinese format. Using the previous example, it would be Shuangling - Double Rhomb - 雙菱 . If any of them was never used, we would either mark it as such (say, in italic) or leave it blank altogether.

I feel that this method has some merits but it'd be interesting to see how fellow members think about it. Thanks!
    Seele,

Thank you for stepping up and helping with the wiki. I hope you can continue, as you bring a perspective that would greatly enhance its quality. Please make any suggestions you see fit.

Re the brand list: I was thinking about it from a perspective of a non-Chinese-speaking collector. To find information about a brand, I think it would be good to see it as the brand name appears on the watch (be it English, transliteration, or Chinese) in an alphabetical list to make it easier to find. Of course it becomes more difficult when taking Chinese-only and number brands into account. It might be helpful to separate listings for brands with two names, e.g. Shuangling/Double Rhomb.

I hope members of this forum will share their opinions on this and other matters. In the end I'd like the wiki to be as useful as possible.

There's still an enormous amount of work to do, and I invite members to contribute their knowledge. Even if you don't think you know much, there are things that can be done. Adding pictures and improving some (my ) awkward writing comes to mind.
    Last edited by saskwatch; October 12th, 2014 at 00:25.
    See my collection of Vintage Chinese Mechanical watches at Hidden Content

Seele, I also want to thank you for the contributions you've made to the wiki thus far, I have noticed them and I assure you that they are appreciated.

Thanks for your suggestion on the brand list, this is the kind of thing that it's great to have feedback on. I encourage anybody who has an opinion or perspective on this to chime in. For my part, like Saskwatch, I have so far been thinking about things from the perspective of readers with no or minimal Chinese language proficiency (although, for the sake of completeness, when making pages for brands, I have been including the brand name in hanzi in brackets after the pinyin name). I feel like the most likely use-case is that somebody sees a brand name printed on a watch or a photo of a watch, goes to the list, and uses Ctrl-F to search for exactly what is printed on the watch, so we should definitely make sure that this form is always listed.

I do think that maybe Saskwatch is on the right track with proposing that we split up e.g. Shuangling and Double Rhomb, or Chunlei and Budlet (are there many other cases of watches which were produced under both English and Chinese names?). It's probably okay for both listings to point to the same actual article, though. One drawback to this approach is that any changes to the details on manufacturer, movements, years of production, etc. need to be made in two places, and if someone forgets to do this, or is unaware of the alternative brand name, then we can end up with inconsistent data.

I am not averse to hanzi names appearing on the list (we do this for factories in the factory list, after all), but I think the "Shuangling - Double Rhomb - 雙菱" format has a substantial drawback in that (to my knowledge, and I am happy to be proven wrong) the middle component will be "None" for more than 90% of the brands, which seems kind of messy or wasteful.

On something of a related note, we currently have separate tables for vintage brands, modern in-house and modern out-of-house brands. There are a small number of brands which belong in both vintage and modern in-house, e.g. Shanghai, Sea-Gull. At the moment, the exact same information has been copied from the vintage table into the modern table. The sensible course of action, to me, seems to be to fill out the two tables with era appropriate details, e.g. in the vintage table we list the Sea-Gull manufacturer as Tianjin Watch Factory, with ST5 as the movement used and in the modern table we list the manufacturer as Tianjin Seagull Watch Group with ST16, ST19, etc. for the movements. Do people agree with this?

Gentlemen,

I just tried the old link to the old CWI Wiki at tractionink, and found that it's still intact but at web archive org, archived at 23rd October 2013. It might be an idea to download everything (preferably by more than one member) and then put on the new host, with suitable editing and updating.

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Gentlemen,

I just tried the old link to the old CWI Wiki at tractionink, and found that it's still intact but at web archive org, archived at 23rd October 2013. It might be an idea to download everything (preferably by more than one member) and then put on the new host, with suitable editing and updating.
    A great many, but by no means all, of the articles on the old wiki have indeed already been copied across in this manner, or have had their key information consolidated into new pages. But there are also plenty which have not been copied yet, and I encourage people who want to help with the new wiki to copy across old articles which they would like to see preserved.
    The Texan likes this.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information