Chinese Watch Industry Wiki - Page 4
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

I've revised the Claro-Semag page in light of a recent discovery.

Finally I figured out that the Semag Autoking uses a Felsa movement, so there are currently no (0) automatic movements known to have been designed and built by Claro or Semag.

I still await James Elsener presenting evidence to the contrary on that other forum where the question was raised. There might have been a Semag-designed automatic back in the 1960s and if so, I really want to know for the sake of accuracy on the wiki entry.

I've just added entries for Sunboro (China Army) and IK Colouring. I've also edited the ETA entry to make it more relevant to a Chinese watch industry wiki.

If anybody has some photos that they would like to contribute to any of the pages, especially the tourbillon page, please do so. Or if you experience any difficulty with editing the wiki, please post the photos here and I'll link them up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    If anybody has some photos that they would like to contribute to any of the pages, especially the tourbillon page, please do so. Or if you experience any difficulty with editing the wiki, please post the photos here and I'll link them up. Thanks.
    What kind of pictures do you need? Would one of these help:
    Millionsmart Tourbillon 1801

Or is there some particular shot you want of a tourbillon? I can't remove the movement from the watch so no dissection shots, but I could make some more macro's of any features you found relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySie View Post
    What kind of pictures do you need? Would one of these help:
    Millionsmart Tourbillon 1801

Or is there some particular shot you want of a tourbillon? I can't remove the movement from the watch so no dissection shots, but I could make some more macro's of any features you found relevant.
    Very nice photos! I was really just after general reference photos. I've picked out one of yours and attached it to the article. Thank you.

I can't find anything about Parnis in the wiki. Am I looking in the wrong place, somehow, or is Parnis too new to have an entry?
    Cheers, Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Withenfields View Post
    I can't find anything about Parnis in the wiki. Am I looking in the wrong place, somehow, or is Parnis too new to have an entry?
    Cheers, Harry
    I'll look into it.

But if anybody else wants to write up something, please don't hold back.

The difficulty with some of these new brands is that it is often hard to find anything about who actually makes the watches.

...and new brands often disappear as quickly as they appear. The brands listed in the wiki have been around for a few years and are still selling.
    (I'd rather be driving)

By contrast, Alpha has stood the test of time and is getting bigger all the time.

I think we need to expand Alpha's wiki entry, but I'm not really the person to do it. We need one of the many Alpha fans to assist.

I've completed the entry for Beijing Watch Factory. Thank you Gigfy and Soviet for all the help. Anything I've got wrong or missed, please let me know.

Fakes, replicas and homages

The next thing that I think needs refining is the Homages entry. What I have in mind is to expand it to Fakes, Replicas and Homages.

'Fake' simply defines illegal counterfeits. Could also dispell some myths about 'big factory' faking vs. the reality of generic parts, fake dials, small scale assembly.

'Replica' defines the correct meaning i.e. a reissue by the original manufacturer or current brand owner vs. the common/popular usage as a euphamism for fake.

'Homage' is basically the existing text of the article.

The last bit of the Sea-Gull page, dealing with fakes and homages, could be shifted to the Fakes, Replicas and Homages page as a kind of case study.

It has also been pointed out that for all instances of the word 'copyright' in the wiki, the intended meaning is probably 'trademark', or more generally 'intellectual property'.

The reason why I'm raising this here rather than just pushing ahead is that this is a delicate issue that should be covered right to avoid offense or confusion; so I'd welcome some feedback, suggestions, corrections etc in reply to this thread.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information