Chinese Watch Industry Wiki - Page 5
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

Re: Fakes, replicas and homages

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    The next thing that I think needs refining is the Homages entry. What I have in mind is to expand it to Fakes, Replicas and Homages...
    Although this isn't the usual terminology on WUS, I actually appreciate Mike Stuffler's distinction between Homages and "Lookalikes".

An homage, in the sense Mike uses the term, is a watch (even heavily but respectfully) influenced in design by another model but differing in at least some noticeable details, while lookalike is what we usually refer to as an homage--actually a very, very close if not exact copy with only a differing brand and usually, say, a less expensive movement.
    Hidden Content in Peace River (AMCH/PR) Hidden Content
    Member: Hidden Content , a formally instituted Working Committee under the direction of the Hidden Content .

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

The Fakes, Replicas and Homages entry is complete. Obviously it will not satisfy everybody, given the contentious nature of the subject, but I think I've covered most of it. The last section was shifted from the Sea-Gull article.

http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wik...as_and_Homages

Did I mention that I've added a couple of other entries recently? Have a browse and let me know what needs fixing.

Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

The Fakes, Replicas and Homages entry is complete. Obviously it will not satisfy everybody...
    Well done, Chascomm. The entry certainly addresses the distinctions made in my post above--and much more. Thank you.
    Hidden Content in Peace River (AMCH/PR) Hidden Content
    Member: Hidden Content , a formally instituted Working Committee under the direction of the Hidden Content .

The Fakes, Replicas and Homages entry is complete. Obviously it will not satisfy everybody, given the contentious nature of the subject, but I think I've covered most of it. The last section was shifted from the Sea-Gull article.

http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wik...as_and_Homages

Did I mention that I've added a couple of other entries recently? Have a browse and let me know what needs fixing.
    I would take a minor issue with this paragraph:
    Bogus Brands
    Some of the cheapest Hong Kong watches of the 1960s and 70s bore brand names intended to appear similar to more famous brands. Likewise with some of the cheapest Swiss watches from the 1850s to the beginning of the quartz era e.g. Omeqa, Longreene, Hormilton. This practice has been continued by modern Chinese watch companies e.g. Minorva, Orkina, Benarus. Strangely in both vintage and modern bogus brand watches, the watch very rarely looks anything like the famous watch whose name it emulates.
    I own Benarus watches and I do not feel they are a bogus brand, in name or product. I see the closeness to the now mostly defunct brand Benrus, but that was not the association the owner was intending to make. You can find the reason for the name posted in their sub-forum on 3T.

The attached images show; my Benarus Barracuda on bracelet, a Benarus Sea Devil on leather strap (sold), my pre-ordered Benarus Megalodon, and my just shipped Benarus Morays in British Racing Green and Sea Foam Blue (these are just sample shots, my blue Moray was ordered with an orange minute hand).

As you can tell, I am a fan of Benarus watches, and I'd rather not see their name included along with bogus watch brands.

Of course, it is no secret Benarus have their watches manufactured in China, and they use Miyota movements, for the most part, with Swiss ETA movements planned for the Megalodon and WORLDIVER GMT Automatic.

Regards,
    David (soopah)

David Lalonde
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by soopah View Post
    I would take a minor issue with this paragraph:

I own Benarus watches and I do not feel they are a bogus brand, in name or product. I see the closeness to the now mostly defunct brand Benrus, but that was not the association the owner was intending to make. You can find the reason for the name posted in their sub-forum on 3T.

The attached images show; my Benarus Barracuda on bracelet, a Benarus Sea Devil on leather strap (sold), my pre-ordered Benarus Megalodon, and my just shipped Benarus Morays in British Racing Green and Sea Foam Blue (these are just sample shots, my blue Moray was ordered with an orange minute hand).

As you can tell, I am a fan of Benarus watches, and I'd rather not see their name included along with bogus watch brands.

Of course, it is no secret Benarus have their watches manufactured in China, and they use Miyota movements, for the most part, with Swiss ETA movements planned for the Megalodon and WORLDIVER GMT Automatic.

Regards,
    David (soopah)

David Lalonde
    The identification of Benarus as a bogus brand was in no way intended as any kind of judgment of the quality of the watch, just the name.

The US distributer of Benarus has echoed your sentiments on the wiki by editing out the Benarus reference in the article, and he explained that Benarus is apparently named after a mythological figure. My own cursory google of the name did not turn up any 'god of the sea', but did turn up a couple of forum references to people confusing Benrus with Benarus. All the same it's a small point and I don't intend to put Benarus back on the bogus list.

Re: Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

I've recently added a couple more entries and cross-referenced a whole lot.

The biggest new thing is the Made in Hong Kong entry; feedback please.

And I've re-arranged the site index page for what I think is easier navigation, but I might just be weird, so again; feedback please.

Latest updates:

- Updated Sea-Gull and Beijing Watch Factory to reflect latest tourbillon, repeater and perpetual calendar developments.

- Added short articles explaining Perpetual Calendar and Ebauche.

- Added Cecil Purnell, Stuhrling Original and Dixmont-Guangzhou pages.

Does anybody own a Trias Automatic Tourbillon and have a couple of nice photos which I could use for the DG page?
    Last edited by Chascomm; October 3rd, 2009 at 05:03.

Great update
    (I'd rather be driving)

Lots of new content this week.

New entries for
    - Dalian Golden Knight
    - Minorva
    - Qingdao Zixin
    - Liaocheng Watch Co.

Company histories added to
    - Liaoning Watch Factory
    - Dixmont-Guangzhou

A couple of brands linked up to those companies.

Next tasks will be:
    - tracking down Shanghai Golden Time
    - following up on some of the brand names listed on the index but not linked
    - begging for help with a few phtos, once I figure out what is most needed.

Meanwhile, enjoy the new stuff!

http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wik...itle=Main_Page

Latest updates:

- Company history added to the Shanghai Watch Factory entry.

- Shanghai Golden Time entry added. I'm holding off on the company history until I can confirm which factory they originated from.

- Swissebauches Ltd entry added. Fairly sketchy as there's little reliable info out there and no current corporate website.

- Several minor brands and manufacturers added.

- PTS Resources catalogue run-down updated to reflect the 2009/2010 catalogue.

- Added a couple of pictures (thanks Ron). Heaps more needed so don't be surprised if you guys with the big collections start getting PMed by me

So that's it for the moment.

I'm considering an entry for Miyota as they do produce quartz movements in Guangzhou and their Japanese automatics are a kind of 'industry standard' that has shaped the developement of some recent Chinese movements.

And I'm still looking into Fujita. I need more info. Were they bult up from an old clockc factory or a completely new enterprise? Were they a factory planted by a Hong Kong business, or a joint venture between foreign and local businesses? Are they really the only Chinese manufacturer of complete mechanical watch movements with no prior history as a state-owned enterprise? They're a shady mob, but undeniably interesting.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information