Chinese Watch Industry Wiki
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

This is the Wiki Sticky

If you've got a question regarding Chinese watches, here is a good place to start; and it can only get better if you contribute what you know

The Chinese Watch Industry Wiki!
    http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wik...itle=Main_Page

(thanks Ian)

Re: Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    This is the Wiki Sticky

If you've got a question regarding Chinese watches, here is a good place to start; and it can only get better if you contribute what you know

The Chinese Watch Industry Wiki!
    http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wik...itle=Main_Page

(thanks Ian)
    I love the idea of a Wiki. The problem is the format though. You just can't go in and browse the articles. That is usually how I read a knowledge base, I flip through the pages just like a magazine.

With Wikis in particular, that isn't necessarily a problem when they have everything on earth in them like Wikipedia. Then you could use a search engine within the Wiki or even Google to find things and then branch off the links in a given article when you get close to the subject matter you were seeking.

Even then though, sometimes when I have nothing to do I just like flipping through pages to see what I find. Wouldn't just a regular old forum for reference material do the job just as well?

I've been working on networks far too long I suppose and am turning into a luddite.... (or at least, as the other half informed me the other day, getting crotchety)

/Tim

I know exactly what you mean - what we're really missing right now is a table of contents or site map page.

In the mean time, here's what I've been doing - I use the built-in search function to search for a generic term ('watch' works well) and the search results effectively become my table of contents.
    (I'd rather be driving)

Quote Originally Posted by nderwater View Post
    I know exactly what you mean - what we're really missing right now is a table of contents or site map page.
    ...So I've created one. It's not automated, so when new pages are added the TOC/Site Map needs to be updated as well, but it's a step in the right direction.

In updating the "Swiss Made" page this afternoon, I've even learned about a movement I'd never heard of before. I think I'm already learning as much from the wiki as I am adding to it - thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.
    (I'd rather be driving)

I was thinking about some sort of catalog for movements / models for the wiki. What do you guys think? This preview was done on googlepages, so I'd have to see what I could do inside wiki.

The first section is a very rough idea of a movement 'database'. I used pictures from cousins for the test. I didn't 'steal' any of these pictures but I did link to their site. Is that OK? One problem with linking to an external site is if they discontinue the model or go out of business, the links will be broken. We could use our own pictures and keep them on the wiki but it wouldn't be complete. I guess we could use what we have and supplement with external links and replace as we can.

I don't think it would be necessary to include all different variants (2501, 2502, 2503, etc). I just slapped it together without much thought and then added the text below a few of the movements. I think it would probably be best if I focused on the top level calibres (ST16, ST18, ST19 etc) right now. I can always go back and add more later. What website should I use to link the pictures? (Ofrei, Cousins, Ranfft)

The second section is just a small summary and some pics of one of my Shanghai's. Should we standardize what info is presented? I think a dial, caseback, & movement shot (aka Soviet style) is a good standard for the pictures.

http://chinesemechanicalwatches.goog....com/movements

Cheers,
    gigfy

Awesome - movement database would be an fantasitc addition. It's definitely something I had in mind from the outset, wasn't sure how to execute the idea. Fortunately, I've experimented a little and have confirmed that wiki entries understand HTML code, which opens up a whole new realm of formatting capabilities.

I don't see any problem with using photos from other sources, so long as the source is mentioned & linked to on the page where they are used.
    (I'd rather be driving)

To make posting photos easier, I've enabled the image upload function for logged-in users. After uploading your image(s), refer to the following tutorial page to learn how to add the images to pages in the wiki: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Images

For examples, refer to the Trias page which I've just added images to:
    http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wik...hp?title=Trias
    Last edited by nderwater; April 15th, 2008 at 18:40.
    (I'd rather be driving)

Wow, nice job, thanks!!

Ian,

I've added a link to the Wiki on top of the forum. Would it be possible to link to this forum on your Wiki pages?
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Watchuseek Admin View Post
    Ian,

I've added a link to the Wiki on top of the forum. Would it be possible to link to this forum on your Wiki pages?
    OK, this gets back to my earlier idea about an entry for Forums.

Watchuseek deserves top billing for being the first to host an English language forum dedicated to Chinese watches, however recognition also needs to be given to the Chinese language forums who are now starting to show an interest. Today I will attempt to throw together an entry to cover all that, but it will need some contributions from others more capable than myself.

In addition to that; Ian do you think it appropriate to add a comment on the introductory page to the effect that the wiki was initiated by members of the Watchuseek Chinese Mechanical Watches forum?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information