Thread: Compatibility between Sea-Gull, Miyota or ETA movements

Question Compatibility between Sea-Gull, Miyota or ETA movements

Hi,

Does anybody know the compatibilities between the Sea-Gull ST16, Miyota 8215 and ETA 2824? Are the hands and dials interchangeables? Does the case designed for a ST16 fit with a 8215 or 2824? Are the crows interchangeables? Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Toni

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Compatibility between Sea-Gull, Miyota or ETA movements

Quote Originally Posted by Sirex
    Hi,

Does anybody know the compatibilities between the Sea-Gull ST16, Miyota 8215 and ETA 2824? Are the hands and dials interchangeables? Does the case designed for a ST16 fit with a 8215 or 2824? Are the crows interchangeables? Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Toni
    A very good question I haven't read any compatibility descriptions for ST16. I wouldn't like to try swapping stems on different movements though.

All I know is that the Nanning NN38 will swap exactly with the equivalent spec Miyota, and the Hangzhou Seiko-like movements are an exact copy of an earlier Seiko model (7009 maybe?) so it is probably a good fit for a Seiko 5 case. And of course the 7750-clone is an exact swap for the ETA 7750.

Question Re: Compatibility between Sea-Gull, Miyota or ETA movements

:thanks

I'm waiting an Alpha watch with Explorer I style and then I will invest on this topic. I will post a message based on this experiencie.

On the other hand, in the Alpha website they said that the movement of this watch is a Sea-Gull TY2806 :-S Do you know something about thsi movement?

Regards from Barcelona (Spain),

Toni

:thanks

I'm waiting an Alpha watch with Explorer I style and then I will invest on this topic. I will post a message based on this experiencie.

On the other hand, in the Alpha website they said that the movement of this watch is a Sea-Gull TY2806 :-S Do you know something about thsi movement?

Regards from Barcelona (Spain),

Toni
    TY2806 is a Tsinyi product code for Sea-Gull calibre ST16. I've no idea why they do that :-S

If ever you see a reference to a TY code, look it up at http://www.tsinyi.com/produce/all.htm and you will be able to read the cross-reference from the diagram e.g.

Smile Re: Compatibility between Sea-Gull, Miyota or ETA movements

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm
    TY2806 is a Tsinyi product code for Sea-Gull calibre ST16. I've no idea why they do that :-S

If ever you see a reference to a TY code, look it up at http://www.tsinyi.com/produce/all.htm and you will be able to read the cross-reference from the diagram e.g.
    Thanks again for all this information!!!
    As soon as I received the watch I will disasembly the watch and I will post a message referenced to the compatibilities between ST16, Miyota 82xx and ETA 28xx. Watchmaking is my hobby (I'm IT professional) and I'm enjoying watching the constructions of the movements. For me the Chinesse movements is NEW, since now I only disasembly Swiss, Japanese & Russian movements.

Regards,

Toni

As soon as I received the watch I will disasembly the watch and I will post a message referenced to the compatibilities between ST16, Miyota 82xx and ETA 28xx. Watchmaking is my hobby (I'm IT professional) and I'm enjoying watching the constructions of the movements. For me the Chinesse movements is NEW, since now I only disasembly Swiss, Japanese & Russian movements.

Regards,

Toni
    I think you will find the ST16 and Miyota 82xx make an interesting comparison. I'm not a watchmaker, but here are my amateur observations:

The ST16 appears to have a similar train layout to the Miyota, and the simplified (compared to ETA and various Russians) manufacturing technique; but the winding mechanism is a Seiko-style 'Magic Lever' system. What I conclude from this is that a lot of thought went into the ST16 design, to get the most cost-effective high quality design. It is interesting then that the inspiration is purely Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirex View Post

Regards,

Toni
    well I know this is an old post...but the answer to this has never been given...and not to make a new post I decided to resurrect thi old one...

my question would be can i swap a miyota 8215 with an eta2824-2...will the dial and hands fit?

NEG

No. The dial might after modification, hands no. You'll also have issues with stem hole alignment and movement ring.
    Last edited by NEG; November 21st, 2007 at 00:41.

Thread Information