Thread: First Chinese watch - Goer

Picture First Chinese watch - Goer

Thanks to this forum I've found another way spend my hard earned money

I've just picked up my first Chinese watch from the Bay from nice00watch. It cost me about A$27 shipped and arrived here in Australia in about a week.

I wanted a type of watch that I wouldn't ususally buy... or spend serious money on. The one I finally chose was an automatic semi-skeleton, model g508a. Yes, it's a bit gaudy.

Just a few observations:
    • Fit and finish is... ok. There were a few burrs that I had to break off near the spring bars, but nothing too serious.
    • There's a few printing blemishes on the time and date indicies. Hands are well finished however.
    • There's a purely decorative secondary date dial across the top half of the watch that doesn't serve a purpose. I've got no issue with that, but on my copy it's half covered.
    • The sub-second hand is about 1.5 seconds off from the main second hand. But it's too small to really cause an issue.
    • Seems to keep reasonably good time. Haven't had it long enough to check though. Part of the reason is that the power reserve seems really short. I wore it all of the first day I got it, and after taking it off before going to be bed it was dead by the next morning.
    • The strap is terrible. It's got threads hanging out. It cracks when you bend it. It's torn a little at the top edges. I'm definitely replacing it. The trick is finding a new strap that costs less than the cost of the watch
    • The see-through case back is fun.
    All in all it's a A$27 watch, and for that I'll forgive quite a few things. Would I buy another ultra-cheap Chinese watch? Definitely. I think they're an insanely cheap way of indulging in horology and satisfying the almost constant craving for new watches.
    Last edited by mistakenly; July 20th, 2008 at 05:50.

Re: First Chinese watch - Goer

Thanks for the nice review. This was one of the watches I was looking at. Thanks for confirming the no-purpose date dial and 2nd second subdial.

I REALLY like the way it looks, but this breaks a couple of my "rules" of no redundant dials, and no superfluous markers.

It seems that Goer has a bunch of beautiful watches which use this movement. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to purchase them because of the redundant second Dial. But there are plenty of other watches which look nice. ;)

I just bought a Goer watch from the same person. IMO the watch is absolutely beautiful and i cannot stop looking at it. However, the watch i have seems to have a very low battery reserve. After taking off the watch last night about 8pm, it stopped moving at 7:30am.
    Last edited by jononioo; December 23rd, 2008 at 05:10.

I ordered two Goers from the same seller about two weeks ago. They have yet to arrive but I'm looking forward to playing with them.

Cheap enough that it will be difficult to be disappointed (I hope).

Thanks for the review.

Just received my two Goer's yesterday. I must say that they are the cheapest feeling watches I've ever held in my hands.

One of them had a screw floating around in the display back, out of the box and the other feels like it's made entirely of plastic.

Hope to post pics at some point but Iím not at home for a few days and Iím sure to forget after I get there.

Thanks for reviewing it. I'm thinking about buying it. I'm attracted by the useless stuff on the face. Received my Goer g027a today. I wasn't expecting much and got better than expected. I'm surprised that it looks as good as the picture! Same vendor, very quick ship and delivery.

Thread Information