How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to a ETA: An in-depth look... - Page 3
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to a ETA: An in-depth look...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Re: How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to a ETA: An in-depth look...

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    And, just as a point of reference, although it looks huge in the picture the screw hole is only off-center by 0.044 mm (or 0.0017 inches, for US.)
    Hehehehe! I was getting worried looking at that, but extreme macro shots combined with a 24" monitor do tend to exaggerate these things - good thing you pointed that out :)

If you look closely, the ETA has alot more tiny details that are better.IMHO Like the pallet fork looks like its finished better. The holes look cut cleaner.etc, just seems they put alot more attention in the fine details. But is it worth the price differnce?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by constellation90 View Post
    If you look closely, the ETA has alot more tiny details that are better.IMHO Like the pallet fork looks like its finished better. The holes look cut cleaner.etc, just seems they put alot more attention in the fine details. But is it worth the price differnce?
    Look more closely...while the palette fork has a finer finish, you will see that in many areas the Sea Gull is better finished and in some the Hangzhou is better than both the others.

No, it is not worth the difference at this level. If we were looking at one of the top level 2824s there would be a lot of visual differences in finish and likely better time keeping.

I suspect that when Lysander is finished this expose, we will be left with the inescapable conclusion that if all three movements were assembled, lubricated and timed properly, that there would be little difference in time keeping, robustness or reliability.
    That would make the two Chinese models vastly better value.

But let's see what Lysander comes up with
    SParis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Getty View Post
    No, it is not worth the difference at this level. If we were looking at one of the top level 2824s there would be a lot of visual differences in finish and likely better time keeping.
    Hmmm, do Seagull and Hangzhou also have different grades of movements, just like ETA does? Or is their movement basically similar to the standard ETA movement?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Getty View Post
    I'll bet the Hangzhou doesn't work when you reassemble it
    You worried about those two missing teeth on the center wheel?

I would worry about it to much, I have an old Jeanbrum 23F than is missing more teeth than that, it still runs fine. As long as it has enough teeth the remain constantly engaged, it will be fine.

To get a watch maker to oil a watch would be about $60-100 can here. Since these where sold as finished products, I think it's more of a fair test not to oil them. I also noticed there is no grease on the chinese rotor bearings. It's small things like this that adds up to a value of a watch.
    The 3 questions I have, 1) How standardised is the chinese parts? eg If you had 10 of the seagulls, could you swap parts with each of them without problems or huge variations?
    2) Are they actually made from proper steel, or are they made from ceramics like miyotas?
    the reason I'm wondering, a friend told me In china, they test the movements. The ones that fail or are lousy are sold in the replica market. The better ones they use for themselves or the export market.
    3) What era are the ETA's being tested? Older tooling vs new tooling could explain some of the crudeness. Over the years the quality of a movement can change alot from the machienery that makes it wearing out. Or the lack of new technologys

And that is a good lead in for the next installment.

Part three: Interchangeability.

Well, we will have to see if a ETA/Bestfit offset center wheel will fit in the Hangzhou. Chances are it will.

We will let you know in a little while.

Well, the center wheel with the missing teeth has been placed in the re-assembled Rado 2824, and it is working like it is supposed to.

Going over the pictures and examining the parts, I can say with very good confidence, that any replacement part for an ETA 2824-2 will fit and work in either of these two movements.

This is great news. Now, for the first time, there is a Chinese made movement with a source of spares, as Bestfit has any ETA 2824 part you could possibly need.

There is a caveat, of course, the bridges for the Seagull will not interchange with the ETA or Hangzhou. The Hangzhou bridges do seem to fit on the ETA.

Well, that's it for the night, next we will address the final part of this study - The Assessment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    You worried about those two missing teeth on the center wheel?

I would worry about it to much, I have an old Jeanbrum 23F than is missing more teeth than that, it still runs fine. As long as it has enough teeth the remain constantly engaged, it will be fine.
    Ok, I just wasn't sure of it could spit accurately with that many teeth missing

I await you final installments and conclusions

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by constellation90 View Post
    To get a watch maker to oil a watch would be about $60-100 can here. Since these where sold as finished products, I think it's more of a fair test not to oil them. I also noticed there is no grease on the chinese rotor bearings. It's small things like this that adds up to a value of a watch.
    The 3 questions I have, 1) How standardised is the chinese parts? eg If you had 10 of the seagulls, could you swap parts with each of them without problems or huge variations?
    2) Are they actually made from proper steel, or are they made from ceramics like miyotas?
    the reason I'm wondering, a friend told me In china, they test the movements. The ones that fail or are lousy are sold in the replica market. The better ones they use for themselves or the export market.
    3) What era are the ETA's being tested? Older tooling vs new tooling could explain some of the crudeness. Over the years the quality of a movement can change alot from the machienery that makes it wearing out. Or the lack of new technologys

Ceramics?
    Where did you hear that gem?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information