How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to a ETA: An in-depth look... - Page 6
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to a ETA: An in-depth look...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to a ETA: An in-depth look...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Getty View Post
    Thanks for elaborating on the picture representation at magnification vs reality at eye level(1x).

Now that you've exposed us to these three movements and previously to the ST16 and DG28/38xx with mention of the Shanghai B...how would you rate all 6; using the same criteria as you have in this thread?
    I really hate to try and rate/compare all six of these movements as they are all so different. I can point at the various parts of three different 2824s and say "this one is better because this little part here is properly polished and that one isn't." and then ultimately say what I hinted at earlier in this thread, and just state now: Given the same level of quality control in the three factories (Seagull, Hangzhou and ETA) all three movements would be equal. But, the fact that QA is not equal, so the nudge goes to ETA.

Comparing an ST16 to a DG 28/38 is similar, as the two are very kin. The nod goes to Seagull for two really arbitrary reasons, one, the ST16 winds in both directions, whether that is really an advantage is up to you, as I have never had a Miyota go dead on the wrist. Second, the ST is much easier to work on.

The Shanghai B, is a super production engineered version of the ETA line, and has all of the advantages and some of the disadvantages of the line.

All of these are perfectly good at performing the task they were designed to do - tell time, reliably and cost effectively. To say one is "better than another" is slightly unfair. So to answer your question (in a round about way, without realy answering it at all) I will discuss the pros and cons of each type of movement.

- The Shanghai B has the highest parts count, some of them tiny U springs, the 2824 has th next highest, followed by the ST. The DG has the fewest parts.

- The DG is a true pain to work on, everything is under one plate, but once you get that plate on there is very little else to do. The 2824 is the easiest to work on (some may argue with that, but it is a close call between it and the Shanghai) with modular design and many parts can be replaced while limiting the disturbance to the rest of the movement.

- The 2824 is by far the easiest to regulate, both the regulator arm (gross adjustments) and the eccenteric (fine adjustments) can be used to bring it in to a very good rate with minumum fuss and/or bother, the ability to adjust the opening of the regulator "pins" is a great help in minor adjusting of the movement. The others are all equally difficult in this respect.

- The 2824 has spares available as well as a wider array of aftermarket parts.

- The Shanghai manages to put a jewel in the mainplate tube so the second hand pinion has a jewel bearin at both ends.

- Both Seagull and ETA 2824 are available in very nice finishes.

- The 2824 and Shanghai have directly drive second hands eliminating the possibility of second hand "flutter."

- The 2824s have more aesthetic shaped bridges.

And I would also like to thank Carlos of Prometheus Watch Co, for the chance to do this and I can't wait to see what cases he decides to put this movements into.
    Last edited by lysanderxiii; December 30th, 2008 at 07:19.
    Hoppyjr, Ahriman4891 and daghoi like this.

Banned

Thank you Sir.
    This has to be one of the most informative and interesting threads we've seen here in some time(well since your last compo)

I feel totally comfortable owning any of the six movements we've been discussing and wouldn't hesitate to buy a watch with any of them in it. Since I can do my own servicing, I might even be tempted to go through the movement and do my own QC

I'm looking forward to what Carlos offers next as well. Hopefully Brian Green will also be involved in the designs

NEG

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Getty View Post
    Thank you Sir.
    This has to be one of the most informative and interesting threads we've seen here in some time(well since your last compo)
    Seconded, a great read, very infomative.

Quote Originally Posted by NEG View Post
    Seconded, a great read, very infomative.
    +1... Excellent post, very informative and eye opener.

Thank you very much indeed for putting all together. Now I have like a ton of new English horological stuff in my head... not sure I know what it is, but certainly will try to learn it by re-re-reeding the post...

Cheers,

Guillermo
    Limits are those of vision

Thank you to lysanderxiii and WUS for this excellent review. In future we may consider to use this Chinese movements and in case we do we will advertise it as such.

A most interesting and eductional read. So much I never knew about those movements. Big thanks to lysanderxiii for the fantastic review.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Two shots to better show the quality of the finish.

The TY2130

HZ6300

That TY2130 looks nice from the photos also nice job you did with the write-up
    Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    Two shots to better show the quality of the finish.

The TY2130

HZ6300

johndozier

A simply SUPERB analysis! Thanks

Suspended

Thanks lysander. Now when is the youtube review going to be finished???

Mods...any chance in making this a sticky so that all his work isn't lost to page 2?? Maybe add the ST16 teardown also?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information