How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to a ETA: An in-depth look... - Page 9
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to a ETA: An in-depth look...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Re: How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to an ETA 2824 or ETA 2004-1: An in-depth look...

Fascinating thread! So lysanderxiii ascertained that the Seagull TY2130 had been assembled with little or no oil and because of this would probably last 10 to 15 years before it degraded badly enough to stop working.

My question is simple. If a Seagull TY2130 movement were serviced and oiled when first put into a new watch case would it have the potential to last many decades and perhaps be passed on to subsequent generations as you could expect from a Swiss movement that were similarly looked after?

Your views please.

Banned

Re: How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to an ETA 2824 or ETA 2004-1: An in-depth look...

Quote Originally Posted by general_piffle View Post
    Fascinating thread! So lysanderxiii ascertained that the Seagull TY2130 had been assembled with little or no oil and because of this would probably last 10 to 15 years before it degraded badly enough to stop working.

My question is simple. If a Seagull TY2130 movement were serviced and oiled when first put into a new watch case would it have the potential to last many decades and perhaps be passed on to subsequent generations as you could expect from a Swiss movement that were similarly looked after?

Your views please.
    There is no reason to believe that this movement or any other, given, proper servicing, would not last as long as a Swiss movement.

The fact that these movements will likely last for 10 to 15 years without lubrication says reams about them...the average Swiss movement needs; and I mean; service after about 5 years.

Lysander's posts with tear downs; analysis and commentary show that the Chinese movements are as well made or better than some Swiss movements in the areas that matter; ie the places where metal meets metal. All the fluff and perlage does not make a bit of difference to how well or how long a movement will function. The Chinese may not spend a lot of time decorating basic movements but they do know how to finish the important aspects properly when required.

I recently purchased the limited edition Sea-Gull Dragon King diver with the ST2130 automatic movement(same as the TY2130 except for the grading...the TYxxxx movements are sold to third party assemblers and may not be of the same quality, grade wise).
    I have inspected the movement in the Dragon King and can ascertain that it does indeed appear to have proper amounts of lubricants in the places visible without disassembling it
    CCJ likes this.

Fascinating thread!!!

Did you take photos of the innards of the Dragon King? Would love to see them if they exist!
    penang1974 likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by seagullfan View Post
    Did you take photos of the innards of the Dragon King? Would love to see them if they exist!
    Here are a couple of shots...

seagullfan likes this.

Thanks for that - nice to see that it has the original Sea-gull logo on the movement. Plastic spacer...ugly but functional ;)

Oh and I got a 2824-2 Swiss watch yesterday - assembled in Italy for Ferrari (I know, I know - fashion watch bleurgh...) but I bought it purely on design and the Swiss movement.

Made me realise that China isn't much cheaper than Swiss made anymore. The Dragon King cost me 259 euro shipped to Ireland and the Ferrari was marked down from 940 euro to 291 euro. I presume the 291 is for the watch and the 600+ euro was for the Ferrari cachet (which doesn't really appeal to a WUS like myself).

Should be good to do a direct comparison between the two movements.

Here's the Ferrari by the way:
    Ferrari Granturismo Automatic Watch - Ferrari Store
    2824 "Swiss made"
    Carbon fibre dial
    Anti-glare Sapphire
    5ATM
    Appears to have screwed pins for links though which is a surprise.

Will post up a comparison review when I receive it.

Banned

Looking forward to the comparison

Really great post! Just discovered it and read it. Fair play to you for the effort, time and skill for giving us this!

One question though, why did the Zangzhou have missing teeth on this wheel? Was this a pre-used movement with broken teeth?

I have recently gotten my first Chinese watch in the form of a 1963 reissue with the ST19 in it. Regarding the lack of oil in the Seagull movement in this review I can only assume that my ST19 would be similarly short on oil. As I intend on wearing the 1963 daily would it be wise to get it fully serviced before long term use? (Servicing a brand new watch is a bit mad though?)

From my experience of having bought and used a few Seagull brand watches in recent years, I can testify that they are reliable and keep time with very acceptable accuracy. There is also a fairly wide choice of different models. Outside China, however, Seagull really needs to do much, much more to improve its marketing and distribution network.

CCJ

How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to a ETA: An in-depth look...

Thank you Lysander, I learned a ton, and I know this will significantly impact my future watch decisions!
    * Ω Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 * Scurfa Diver One SS * Butler J80 Pilot Chronograph * Citizen BN0000-04H diver

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information