New mechanical watch from Fiyta

Thread: New mechanical watch from Fiyta

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

New mechanical watch from Fiyta

This looks like an ETA-type movement (either genuine ETA 2824-2 or Sea-Gull ST18), but what is the purpose of the opening case? :-S

And while we're looking at Fiyta, I would like a translation, please:

Re: New mechanical watch from Fiyta

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm
    This looks like an ETA-type movement (either genuine ETA 2824-2 or Sea-Gull ST18), but what is the purpose of the opening case? :-S
    [/img]
    Basically it says that aprroved by China Space authority, 108 watches are to be released worldwide. These are exact copies of watches used on the Shenzhou 5 and 6 space-crafts. These are China's national treasures of time pieces. :-D They are decorated with such and such gem stones and tokens that have meanings according to traditional Chinese sayings and Buddist teachings(BS,IMHO). I don't understand why 108 watches, why the opening case, and what it has to do with Budddas? But the watches on the 2nd page look quite different and more like the watch worn by Yang Liwei.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soviet
    Basically it says that aprroved by China Space authority, 108 watches are to be released worldwide. These are exact copies of watches used on the Shenzhou 5 and 6 space-crafts. These are China's national treasures of time pieces. :-D They are decorated with such and such gem stones and tokens that have meanings according to traditional Chinese sayings and Buddist teachings(BS,IMHO). I don't understand why 108 watches, why the opening case, and what it has to do with Budddas? But the watches on the 2nd page look quite different and more like the watch worn by Yang Liwei.
    I could say something about a conflict of ideologies (given that these watches are authorized by the government of the PRC), but I don't want to say something that might get this site banned in your country :-X

Is 108 a lucky number?

Did the Shenzhou crews wear another watch on the other arm? :-S An automatic watch! Was this for some kind of simulated gravity experiment? :-D

Hi Guys, Yes, a rather odd theme for a Chinese watch, but probably designed to market to the millions of Chinese Buddhists living in HK and abroad... I guess it is no worse than the Molinja pocket watches with the "Star of David", Islamic scriptures, and Orthodox icons (not on the same watch, of course!)...

As for the "108" pieces, it may be a reference to the "108 Defilements of Buddhism"... a quick search on Google will reveal a whole bunch of sites on this topic.

As for the watch, it seems a bit too gimmicky... why can't they do a SIMPLE, classically styled mechanical dress watch, in the vintage A581 style... sigh!

Thread Information