No MM branded watches allowed - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: No MM branded watches allowed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Please read this concerning certain "Homage" watches

Quote Originally Posted by ral View Post
    I do not think it would be possible to enforce the "MM" patent in Italy. And I do not think the real "MM" would be very happy on Panerai's patent.
    CATALOG PANERAI 1997-2007 pag 13 Executed by kind permissionof the Italian Navy ???

so if its, as states, used with "kind permission" of the Italian Navy...to me that denotes that there is NO ownership of the term by Panerai...

so again it begs the question....how do Panerai deem it right that they claim legal ownership of the term

as Chascomm said...not really a debate for this forum....anyone a member of an online copyright law board?

the more I read and think about this whole thing on here the more I being to perceive panerai as a giant wet blanket who thinks they are a bit more important than they actually are...[IMO]
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Hidden Content

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
    how do Panerai deem it right that they claim legal ownership of the term
    They do not claim ownership of the term. They claim trademark of the LOGO, which is the term rendered in the font that it is rendered in on the Panerai watches. The MMT500 watches have the term rendered in the font that the Italian Navy uses for their logo, thus it is different.

Trademarks can specify a term or phrase, or it can include a design.

"Crest" is a trademark for toothpaste, but only when rendered in their design. So, mountaintops are still safe to use this term.

BTW, Scooby-doo watches use the same font, for obvious reasons, and that's the problem.

-s-
    Vegas, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by skoochy View Post
    They do not claim ownership of the term. They claim trademark of the LOGO, which is the term rendered in the font that it is rendered in on the Panerai watches. The MMT500 watches have the term rendered in the font that the Italian Navy uses for their logo, thus it is different.

Trademarks can specify a term or phrase, or it can include a design.

"Crest" is a trademark for toothpaste, but only when rendered in their design. So, mountaintops are still safe to use this term.

BTW, Scooby-doo watches use the same font, for obvious reasons, and that's the problem.

-s-
    So, if Scooby Doo uses a bit different font, than we can discuss them again. Sure, the font must not be too much a-like.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marnix_moed View Post
    So, if Scooby Doo uses a bit different font, than we can discuss them again. Sure, the font must not be too much a-like.
    I reckon the name would look cool in Haettenschweiler font (similar to MS Impact but more compressed), with numbers to match. Maybe in yellow.

M A R I N A
    MILITARE

But perhaps it's not really worth fighting over. After all, it is a bit pretentious to name a watch after a navy even when it is not issued, whether it be the one refered to above or ВМФ or ROYAL NAVY or USN or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Perhaps one day somebody will market a watch called 'Royal Australian Navy'

A 'Swiss Navy' would be good, too
    Alan.

LOL - I'm buying one of those.
    (I'd rather be driving)

personally i think its a bunch of crap for anyone to tell us what we are allowed to talk about on this forum. i can understand not talking about blatant fakes or replicas (whatever you want to call them) but the MM moniker on some watches does not purport to be a panerai. therefore it is not a fake and we can talk about it or post pictures of them
    M1K3Z0R likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by breitlingso08 View Post
    personally i think its a bunch of crap for anyone to tell us what we are allowed to talk about on this forum. i can understand not talking about blatant fakes or replicas (whatever you want to call them) but the MM moniker on some watches does not purport to be a panerai. therefore it is not a fake and we can talk about it or post pictures of them
    Unfortunately, you nor I own the forum. The owner can make his own rules. We can either abide by it or move on.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by breitlingso08 View Post
    "Personally I think it's a bunch of crap" somebody wanting to tell the site owner how he ought to run the forums.

Look, it's quite simple. You are a guest in Ernie's house and he has told you not to discuss MM watch. So you don't discuss them.
    M1K3Z0R likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information