Thread: Opinion on Kronen and Sohne?

Opinion on Kronen and Sohne?

I'd like to start off by saying I'm new to the forum. I discovered it around 3 months ago when I was looking for some information about a watch on a TV series, and have been hooked ever since. WUS's vast resource of knowledge on everything from ultraluxury watches, to Chinese mechanical watches is astounding.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a quality Chinese Breitling homage. From what I've seen on eBay, Kronen and Sohne Breitling homages run for about $25 shipped, whereas AK Homme (which I am also considering) Breitling homages run for about $35-$40. Do they use different movements? I've heard nothing but good things about AK Homme watches in general on WUS, but nothing about their Breitling homages or KS watches. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Or any other Breitling homage brands to recommend, such as "Jaragar"?

Thanks
    Last edited by kingdavecako; August 29th, 2011 at 04:37.

Chinese Mechanical Watches / Moderator AlbertaTime's Avatar

Re: Opinion on Kronen and Sohne?

Hiya kingdavecaco! WELCOME to the WUS Chinese Mechanical Watches forum! We're glad to have you here.

Could you provide links to the watches you're considering? I looked for a Kronen and Sohne homage on Ebay but couldn't find one.

Yes. I'm sorry. The watches are listed on eBay using various keywords.
    Here are the two Kronen and Sohne watches I'm considering:
    KS 3 Dial Black Auto Mechanical Date Day Army Men Watch | eBay
    KS Men Steel Tourbillon Mechanical Auto Date Watch NEW | eBay
    And here are the two AK Homme watches:
    HOT AK-HOMME MILITARY MENS AUTOMATIC MECHANICAL WATCH | eBay
    AK-Homme Air Force Automatic Mechanical Men Wrist Watch | eBay

bump

Hi, Kingdavecako - as AT said, Welcome to WUS! Perhaps you did not see much response to your question because many people come here with similar questions about the cheap eBay brands. I recommend you read the sticky wiki about Chinese watch categories. In reality, you can read mixed positive and negative reports about these "almost-free" watches. The positive ones usually say, "it's a good value for $19" and the negative ones say, "I don't need more stiff cluttering my house."

Do not expect a watch like this to replace a Breitling, or even to fool people who think you would wear a Breitling. In fact, if the watch keeps time and actually has a working automatic rotor you have scored a great value. These are not horrible things, they are exactly what they aspire to be: very cheap look-alikes sold by small businesses in Hong Kong, trying to survive. If you can wait a bit, save up $60-100, you can probably find something that you will still wear in a year.

Sorry to say, I love Chinese watches and I bought a few like this in the past just to see what they were, and they were... OK, for the price. I have given them all away since. I hope this helps in some way.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Hi again kingdavecako...sorry I'd forgotten about this thread. My apologies.

If you want a quality Breitling homage, I'd leave the watches you referenced alone and go to another watch, regardless whether it's Chinese, but at a somewhat higher price. I think you'll end up happier,

(these are all sellers pics)

I'm not aware of any quality homages with the kind of bezel on the watches you referenced with one exception that is probably not bad:

Alpha watch - 49mm at about $70.00 USD (and these also have shown up on Ebay occasionally with a black dial)

Name:  54387949.jpg
Views: 17452
Size:  103.8 KB

The rest are navitimer homages...

Parnis makes a quartz Breitling navitimer homage that isn't bad, and it's reliable. A Google search for "Parnis 40MM Quartz chronograph" will lead to to a few sellers at about $80.00.

Name:  200911241435216.jpg
Views: 18687
Size:  47.4 KB

Rotary made a couple of variations of quartz navitimer homage called an Aquaspeed that is dependable (I don't know if the movement is Chinese) that is about $145.00 and found on Ebay:

and there's a cool Russian watch called an "AERONAUT DENISOV" that can be found on Ebay that shares some navitimer appearance that has an automatic (Miyota) movement at about $150.00.

The thing about these alternatives is that even Parnis is more generally known for dependable quality than the watches you linked and Alpha HK has a decent if not perfect reputation for customer support as well. Rotary is a known brand with a very decent history and the Aeronaut/Denissov is from Zenitar, an Ebay seller with an excellent reputation.

Hope this helps

I understand that in buying a $30-50 watch that I'm fairly well out of the Alpha/Parnis league, however I'm just looking for something to have a bit of fun with. Nevertheless, I'm looking for a watch that isn't going to fall apart on me, and doesn't look too cheap. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference between Kronen and Sohne and AK Homme?

Quote Originally Posted by kingdavecako View Post
    ...I'm just looking for something to have a bit of fun with...Do you think there will be a noticeable difference between Kronen and Sohne and AK Homme?
    Nope. Pick the one you think looks best

Okay. Thanks for all of your help.

Thread Information