Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Review - Seagull (Sea) Dragon King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Review - Seagull (Sea) Dragon King

Hi guys,

Here is my review of the (Sea) Dragon King - I see from the original mock ups that it was called the Sea Dragon King when the Chinese characters were still written on the caseback. (The sea dragon king being a famous legendary character in Chinese mythology).

I think I was one of the first to place an order and got number 18. 18/8 being my birthday - this watch was a present to myself. Having gotten the watch it gave me the idea that I shouldn't just keep it chained to the desk but to actually use it for its purported purpose. So, I took some annual leave from the office and signed up to a scuba diving course.

So here is a wrist shot (slightly unconventional):
    Name:  223925_10151351616177678_316394374_n.jpg
Views: 2703
Size:  59.3 KB

and a close up beside tools of the trade:

Name:  562743_10151351609082678_1610338373_n.jpg
Views: 3828
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  405201_10151351609202678_483925962_n.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  93.0 KB

and finally one in the water:

Name:  402935_10151351619127678_712668513_n.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  102.7 KB

So what are my impressions of it?

1. As a watch for day to day wearing:

The watch runs very well - accuracy is within +4 seconds a day and similar to what I got from my ST25 m171s from Seagull too. And in fact it is preferable to the -5 seconds a day I get from my Omega Speedmaster Professional.

The bracelet is a high quality one and blows away the cheap 20 dollar ones you'd find on ebay. When compared to my 4000 euro watch it holds its own very well but the edges are slightly sharper and can more easily cut into the skin (especially when diving and the wrist expands). Overall it's a substantial bracelet that is quite unique in design and I like it.

The dial is nice and clear - though the second hand's tail can sometimes be confused with the hour hand at first glance - and especially when the hour hand can itself be hidden underneath the minute hand (they are similar in shape). The blue and orange numbers on the outside of the dial can be hard to see, the orange is very visible, but the blue can disappear into the black dial unless the light is shining directly onto the dial. I might have suggested that they use a colour that had more contrast than the blue/black combo.

The caseback looks fantastic and it's great to see a deeper etching than usual.

The lume is ok - I know that Kevin said that he preferred the white colour of the lume compared to green and it certainly is a nice black/white contrast in daylight. When compared to my Omega it loses (and the Omega doesn't have great lume either). Both the Seagull and Omega are comprehensively beaten by my Citizen NY2300 dive watch in terms of lume. But read below for how this affects its diving capabilities. I will note that I've rarely had a problem seeing what time it was when I've gone to bed and woken in the early hours. Once your eyes adjust the lume is still visible hours on.

Overall - it's a very nice watch and I'm very glad I bought it, not only is it Seagull's first proper dive watch it also prompted me to learn a new skill. So a fantastic birthday present for myself!

2. Watch as a dive watch:

To avoid repeating myself I'll just mention how certain aspects of this watch affect its diving potential.

First of all, this dive watch performed as specified when diving. I was at a depth of 17 metres for around 30 minutes and there was no problem in terms of water resistance. So no worries for those who may have been concerned about taking it into a shower or swimming pool.

Second, remember how I said lume isn't fantastic? Well, as far as open water diving goes - the black/white hands allow you to clearly tell the time when diving in relatively clear water. There simply wasn't a need for the lume at the depths I was diving to. Of course I was diving in daylight though. And in reality all divers use a dive computer nowadays. The dive watch can be a nice analogue back up though.

The micro-adjust probably could have a few more notches - since putting it over a wetsuit would be nigh on impossible with just one extra hole. My Citizen uses a rubber strap and I know Omega uses the diver extension on its bracelets. It may be an extra cost for Seagull to add that to their bracelets but it would make for a lot more useful "tool" watch if they added some kind of diver friendly bracelet feature.

So as a diving watch - this sea dragon passed with generally flying colours.

In conclusion - I feel like this is a great watch to wear as a daily beater/office/casual/desk diver, and it will also step up to the plate if called upon as an actual tool watch. In fact, my instructor commented on my watch stating that he liked how it looked as a piece of diving equipment.

Hope this review helps!

Kind regards,

Seagullfan.
    hked, arktika1148 and Ric Capucho like this.

Chinese Mechanical Watches / Moderator AlbertaTime's Avatar

Re: Review - Seagull (Sea) Dragon King

Thank you for a well written, real-world review and for the cool photos!

Name:  applau1.gif
Views: 1921
Size:  6.9 KB

Inactive

It's nice to see that my faith in the product was well founded. I have #42 and love it.

I am still working up the nerve to crack open the case and shoot some movement pics...

Congrats on your new Dragon King and your new diving hobby

Are you sure about the Omega lume comment. I handle quite a number of watches with different type of lume. Omega PO has one of the best lume. Legibility thru out the nite. even Rolex 11660 C1 is no much for Omega C3.
    Last edited by Triton9; August 25th, 2012 at 04:33.
    " A great time piece on your wrist shows you are serious of time "

Quote Originally Posted by Pawl_Buster View Post
    It's nice to see that my faith in the product was well founded. I have #42 and love it.

I am still working up the nerve to crack open the case and shoot some movement pics...

Congrats on your new Dragon King and your new diving hobby
    Do open it up - I'd love to have a look at the movement - and maybe to see what the finishing inside is like nowadays. I've seen a few of your teardowns and they are so informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton9 View Post
    Are you sure about the Omega lume comment. I handle quite a number of watches with different type of lume. Omega PO has one of the best lume. Legibility thru out the nite. even Rolex 11660 C1 is no much for Omega C3.
    I don't have an Omega PO - I have the Speedmaster. It's just an eye observation, and the Omega lume is fine, it's just not as bright as my Citizen NY2300 diving watch. The speedmaster wasn't intended to be used in diving so it may have less lume (at the very least it has less visible lume unlike the blobs of lume applied to the Citizen). I haven't done any empirical testing with it though. The Omega is legible throughout the night, as is the Dragon King, but neither are as bright as the Citizen (out of the three lumed watches in my collection).

From what I hear - Seiko might be king amongst non-niche brands for lume.

Quote Originally Posted by seagullfan View Post
    Do open it up - I'd love to have a look at the movement - and maybe to see what the finishing inside is like nowadays. I've seen a few of your teardowns and they are so informative.

I don't have an Omega PO - I have the Speedmaster. It's just an eye observation, and the Omega lume is fine, it's just not as bright as my Citizen NY2300 diving watch. The speedmaster wasn't intended to be used in diving so it may have less lume (at the very least it has less visible lume unlike the blobs of lume applied to the Citizen). I haven't done any empirical testing with it though. The Omega is legible throughout the night, as is the Dragon King, but neither are as bright as the Citizen (out of the three lumed watches in my collection).

From what I hear - Seiko might be king amongst non-niche brands for lume.
    Thanks for the clarification! I think we shall compare apple to apple. Definitely speedmaster is not intend for diving and night legibility is not the priority.

If you have the chance, handle a Omega PO. You will be impressed with its lume. Definitely one of the best among dive watch.
    " A great time piece on your wrist shows you are serious of time "

This is a very good review right here. I myself have a D310, but it is similar apart from 200m and the caseback, which is also not bad looking on D310. And it has a very deep engraving.

Movement in this watch is superb for this price range, mine is only +0,3s per day. And it is 8bps, hand winding and hacking.
    Crown is not that easy to turn when winding, as it is not screw down and you have to wind it in closed position. But still not that hard.

As you said, the biggest flaw is the blue/black combo. And the second hand tail also makes hard to read the time.
    What I also noticed is that the bezel is pure copy of Submariner, only difference are the 15-60 markers. It has 60 notches and it has a lot of play. It is also not that easy to turn.

Bracelet is not bad at all, you cannot even tell the end links are hollow and not solid, they don't make the noise Orient Mako makes, clanking between end links and first links.
    But micro adjustment holes are just too few, only 2, and I have it on first and it is already tight enough now in the winter. I believe I will have to add a link in the summer, and set it to second hole, which will give me +7mm (one link adds 10mm, and one hole takes 3mm). But it will still be way too big when I am not physically active.
    For example my Citizen too has only 2 adjustment holes, but it is still bigger with same minus 4 links and set on the second micro hole. And my Orient Mako is on the third hole and it could use a fourth one in the winter, but at least I can adjust it by 2 holes bigger in the summer.
    To make this story short, if the clasp has micro holes, it needs to have at least 3, otherwise it can happen that the bracelet is useless, which might just happen in my case when the cold stops.

All in all it is still a good watch for its price, I payed 200.
    Last edited by Reaper85; December 9th, 2013 at 23:19.
    Aramar Arctic Ocean 68/100
    Seiko Brightz SDGC027 LE 305/500
    Sea-Gull D310
    G. Gerlach m/s Batory Big Date
    Orient Mako Blue
    Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium BM7170-53L

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
    This is a very good review right here. I myself have a D310, but it is similar apart from 200m and the caseback, which is also not bad looking on D310. And it has a very deep engraving.

Movement in this watch is superb for this price range, mine is only +0,3s per day. And it is 8bps, hand winding and hacking.
    Crown is not that easy to turn when winding, as it is not screw down and you have to wind it in closed position. But still not that hard.

As you said, the biggest flaw is the blue/black combo. And the second hand tail also makes hard to read the time.
    What I also noticed is that the bezel is pure copy of Submariner, only difference are the 15-60 markers. It has 60 notches and it has a lot of play. It is also not that easy to turn.

Bracelet is not bad at all, you cannot even tell the end links are hollow and not solid, they don't make the noise Orient Mako makes, clanking between end links and first links.
    But micro adjustment holes are just too few, only 2, and I have it on first and it is already tight enough now in the winter. I believe I will have to add a link in the summer, and set it to second hole, which will give me +7mm (one link adds 10mm, and one hole takes 3mm). But it will still be way too big when I am not physically active.
    For example my Citizen too has only 2 adjustment holes, but it is still bigger with same minus 4 links and set on the second micro hole. And my Orient Mako is on the third hole and it could use a fourth one in the winter, but at least I can adjust it by 2 holes bigger in the summer.
    To make this story short, if the clasp has micro holes, it needs to have at least 3, otherwise it can happen that the bracelet is useless, which might just happen in my case when the cold stops.

All in all it is still a good watch for its price, I payed 200.
    It would seem the D310 is a less expensively made watch. Apart from the 200m WR, case back; the Draagon King also has a proper screw down crown, a very smooth operating bezel and hand winding that is silky smooth with very little drag on the crown.

At 148 GBP the Dragon King seems like one heck of a bargain

Hmmm...a bit oot, but who will be the winner of we compare dragon king vs mako/ray? Dragon king is a bit more expensive I reckon.

Sent from my Lenovo P700i using Tapatalk

I think they are even. But comparison to D310 would be more fair, because Dragon King is a very limited edition, and almost everyone has a Mako.
    But it doesn't make much difference, they are also even in that case, both have their flaws.

About Pawl_Buster's post:
    -screw down to me equates 200m, so it is not a feature besides 200m WR, because that is what makes 200m WR
    -I can't say if the bezel on DK is really better
    -hand winding on D310 is not bad, so you misunderstood me, it is just harder because non screw down crown sits between the crown guards when winding

I myself don't need a screw down, maybe it is even better in some cases, you don't need to unscrew it everytime you need to wind the watch or set the time.
    Aramar Arctic Ocean 68/100
    Seiko Brightz SDGC027 LE 305/500
    Sea-Gull D310
    G. Gerlach m/s Batory Big Date
    Orient Mako Blue
    Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium BM7170-53L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information