Ronda movement a chinese movement?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chascomm

Thread: Ronda movement a chinese movement?

Ronda movement a chinese movement?

I have the Stuhrling apocolypse watch and says it is swiss movement but I think not. I dont know enough about it thats why I go to you guys the experts:thanks

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Ronda movement a chinese movement?

Ronda is a Swiss Company. What makes you believe that it is not a Swiss movement?
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Just because I have seen posts about Ronda movements not really being Swiss but Im glad thanks warren

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wmjsajudge View Post
    I have the Stuhrling apocolypse watch and says it is swiss movement but I think not. I dont know enough about it thats why I go to you guys the experts:thanks
    Ronda, during the period when they were known as Ronda-Harley, were producing large quantities of simple quartz movements for the Asian market from a factory in Thailand. I don't know if that is still the situation, however their premium movements (e.g. chronograph with big date) are definitely only made in Switzerland. So far as I am aware, all the Ronda movements currently being used by Invicta are Swiss made, so I suspect that the same is probably true of Stuhrling.

On international brand watches like Invicta and Stuhrling, if the dial or case is marked:

Swiss Made - then the entire watch was assembled in Switzerland such that at least 50% of the total component value is Swiss, and the movement is a certified Swiss Movement.

Swiss Movement - then at least 50% of the component value of the movement is Swiss and the movement was assembled and inspected in Switzerland, however the rest of the watch and final assembly are not Swiss. Assume final assembly in China.

Swiss Movt - then it might be either a Swiss Movement, i.e. finished in Switzerland, or a Swiss Parts Movement (aka Swiss Ebauche Movement), i.e. finished and assembled outside of Switzerland but using Swiss parts. For the US market the movement itself may be labeled 'China'.

Swiss Parts Movement - then some Swiss parts were used in a Chinese assembled movement. The movement will almost certainly be labeled 'China'.

Swiss Comp - i.e. Swiss Components then some Swiss components have been included in some part of the watch, not necessarily the movement.
    drdas007 and WatchTheTime7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    On international brand watches like Invicta and Stuhrling, if the dial or case is marked:

Swiss Made - then the entire watch was assembled in Switzerland such that at least 50% of the total component value is Swiss, and the movement is a certified Swiss Movement.

Swiss Movement - then at least 50% of the component value of the movement is Swiss and the movement was assembled and inspected in Switzerland, however the rest of the watch and final assembly are not Swiss. Assume final assembly in China.

Swiss Movt - then it might be either a Swiss Movement, i.e. finished in Switzerland, or a Swiss Parts Movement (aka Swiss Ebauche Movement), i.e. finished and assembled outside of Switzerland but using Swiss parts. For the US market the movement itself may be labeled 'China'.

Swiss Parts Movement - then some Swiss parts were used in a Chinese assembled movement. The movement will almost certainly be labeled 'China'.

Swiss Comp - i.e. Swiss Components then some Swiss components have been included in some part of the watch, not necessarily the movement.
    Great summary!! I vote for this to be added to the wiki.

Cheers,
    gigfy

In summary - don't pay a premium for a watch which claims to be Swiss anything other than "Swiss Made".

(and even then, some would argue...)
    (I'd rather be driving)

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigfy View Post
    Great summary!! I vote for this to be added to the wiki.

Cheers,
    gigfy
    I'm onto it.

Inserting it into the Swiss Made page.

To confirm Chascomm's comments, 5 years ago the Germasian watches from Tauchmeister quartz models were installed with basic Rondas. Also my Marathon navigator has a Ronda movement...

Thanks guys and once again Im impressed by all the knowledge you gentleman have! Warren:thanks

Thread Information