Thread: Seagull 3600

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seagull 3600

Can anyone tell me something about the Seagull 3600? It's a Unitas 6497 clone I think. I've seen them pop up on eBay in PVD style:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...Name=WDVW&rd=1

And I've been thinking this would look great in my PVD marina militare. But what's the word on the 3600, is it reliable? Better than the standard chinese 6497 clones going into watches? Is it a drop-in replacement or would it need modifications?

They've also got skeletonized PVD movements:

Re: Seagull 3600

From what I've read, the PTS-Hangzhou 9000 series and the Seagull ST3600 series are drop-in replacements and have the same hand sizes as the ETA 6497/98 movements.

I do not have hands on experience so I'm not 100% sure, so it would be a good idea to contact one of the many sellers of these movements or someone that puts together Mods of these watches.

If it were me, I would try and get one of the Seagull movements. I have recently purchased two 44m Marina Militare watches with slightly different ST3600 movements. Pictures to come soon.

Cheers,
    gigfy

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Having seen Hangzhou's stuff and Seagull's stuff, I have never understood the preference of Seagull to Hangzhou.

Just my opinion.

Thanks gigfy! This is definitely going on my list of projects :)

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    Having seen Hangzhou's stuff and Seagull's stuff, I have never understood the preference of Seagull to Hangzhou.

Just my opinion.
    I suspect it has more to do with brand recognition than anything else.
    Sea Gull is an English name while all the others are Chinese(at least the movement names) many of which are tongue twisters for non Chinese speaking people.
    Brand naming is a big business in the car industry among others and a name can make or break a product.

This probably explains why a lot of people would rather buy a Trias, Tauchmeister, Kenneth Cole or other watch that is identical to the Alpha or Shanghai or Beijing.

NEG

I've serviced both the Hangzhou and Sea Gull and they are on equal terms IMHO. Both are very good movements TBH, they just lack a bit of QC straight from the factory...

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post

Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by NEG View Post
    I've serviced both the Hangzhou and Sea Gull and they are on equal terms IMHO. Both are very good movements TBH, they just lack a bit of QC straight from the factory...
    Thanks for the comparison from the "hands-on" community!

All things being equal, I agree with Alpha-Getty and would pick the one with name recognition. Probably not the greatest reasoning.

Cheers,
    gigfy
    Last edited by gigfy; November 29th, 2008 at 18:50.

Question Re: Seagull 3600

Quote Originally Posted by GuySie View Post
    Can anyone tell me something about the Seagull 3600? It's a Unitas 6497 clone I think. I've seen them pop up on eBay in PVD style:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...Name=WDVW&rd=1

And I've been thinking this would look great in my PVD marina militare. But what's the word on the 3600, is it reliable? Better than the standard chinese 6497 clones going into watches? Is it a drop-in replacement or would it need modifications?

They've also got skeletonized PVD movements:
    Do you recall the seller of these movements? I can't find these PVD movements.

Since the link takes you to German eBay, I'm betting they were from Erkahund (Roland Kenmer? in reality). He hasn't had anything for sale in several weeks, but looked like he was heading in to his own watch business towards the end. He's pretty good about replying to email, so you might try contacting him through ePay. Somewhere I think I've got his email, since I bought a couple dials through him, but I'd have to dig for that.

Clair
    The Originals, Summer / Winter
    Android Octopus on Oyster
    Citizen Tiny Pilot Eco-Drive Mod on Mesh
    Longines Dolce Vita on OEM Bracelet
    Omega SM300 Chronometer on Mesh
    OWC Milsub 5517 on Oyster

OWC Snowflake 9401 on Mesh
    Rolex 6564 on Rivets

Seiko SNN209 Chronograph on OEM Bracelet
    Seiko Bell-Matic Gold on Zulu

Suunto Core Light Green
    Zeno-Watch Basel Combat Winder on Zulu / Leather

Projects, Summer / Winter
    Area Fiddy-One on Zulu / Leather
    Buck Fifty on Links / Leather
    ExploMaster on Zulu / Leather
    Hamilton Carbon 917 on Hirsch Pure
    Mid-Size Pilot on Zulu / Leather

Thumbs Up Re: Seagull 3600

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocTach View Post
    Since the link takes you to German eBay, I'm betting they were from Erkahund (Roland Kenmer? in reality). He hasn't had anything for sale in several weeks, but looked like he was heading in to his own watch business towards the end. He's pretty good about replying to email, so you might try contacting him through ePay. Somewhere I think I've got his email, since I bought a couple dials through him, but I'd have to dig for that.

Clair
    Thx! I will try to contact him through eBay. I am actually looking for the swan neck version (like http://watcherstore.com/shop/images/...497%20(33).JPG), but in PVD black. I only find the non swan neck movement with PVD black.

Do you happen to have an idea where I can find it, besides Roland?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information