Seagull st 36 teardown - Page 2
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Seagull st 36 teardown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Seagull st 36 teardown

Best of luck to you with this! Im thinking of doing something similar, maybe with the super cheap Jaragar watches on ebay...
    | YouTube Watch Reviewer | Hidden Content Hidden Content |
    Current Collection | Oris Artix-GT Day/Date | Custom Made Revolo | Bronze Lum-Tec M54 | 1974 Citizen Eagle 7 | 1970s Raketa | Alpha Daytona Paul Newman | Alpha Explorer Blue | Quartz Sekonda Beater

What strikes me as quite good with this movement is it has that long arm for fine regulation.

I've only ever seen those on very expensive watches normally.
    Bucks likes this.

Name:  IMG_20170418_155118.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  1.11 MB Finally, the watch has arrived. Name:  IMG_20170418_155638.jpg
Size:  1.93 MB

Name:  IMG_20170418_155853.jpg
Size:  1.89 MB Will let you know how it turns out!
    Chascomm likes this.

Name:  IMG_20170418_162500.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  1.73 MB
    I have been following a series of four youtube videos by a guy called 'Ratfacedgit' who does a near full disassemble and reassemble of this movement- which is the sole reason I bought this specific movement. Whilst watching his videos I removed the crown. This was a straight-forward procedure so that I could get the movement out of the case. Now remember, I'm a complete noob at this and nothing to me is easy. I was surprised by how beautiful the face is and it's metal (I always thought that it was cardboard). The face is held on by two little pins and nothing else but it seems to hold it o.k.
    RacerMachX likes this.

Name:  IMG_20170418_210331.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  1.78 MB Taking the hands off the face before removing it was easy as I have a pair of hand removers. I put the movement in my movement holder and removed the balance wheel. Next was the pallet fork bridge and the pallet fork. So far so good. I removed the mainspring rachet wheel and winding system wheel next to it. No dramas thus far. I have a series of little containers to put all of the parts in so I don't loose them. Next I removed the bridge- and here in is where I experienced a great deal of trouble- but I'll get to that later. I removed the mainspring and the 1st, 2nd, 3rd wheels as well as the escape wheel. I removed the keyless works. It was at this stage that I realised that the movement was completely devoid of lubrication- none whatsoever. So I set about reinstalling all of the disassembled parts, but lubricating them as I go.

Name:  IMG_20170418_210849.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  1.76 MB The keyless works were quite challenging but I managed to lubricate and put all components back correctly. I cannot stress enough the number of times I lost screws and was on the floor on my hands and knees and found them again every single time. I used a bit of rodico to clean up any parts. The quality of all of the parts at this stage seemed to be fair and I ran the movement for two days before I disassembled it and it ran 5 secs fast a day. Now remember, I did say the quality of the parts seemed to be fair but I would not say that they are thick, solid parts- but then again, I didn't pay a fortune for the watch and it was pretty accurate. Don't know how long it would have lasted without oil though.

Name:  IMG_20170419_160613.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  1.94 MB I began reassembling the other parts, lubricating while I went until I came to reinstall the bridge. The mainspring, 1st, 2nd and 3rd wheels were no problem at all. However the escapement wheel refused to sit back in the jewels and in fact I don't know if I somehow bent the shaft on the escapement but it doesn't fit under the bridge anymore but loosens easily and spins like a spinning top- fixed to the bottom jewel but not making contact with the top jewel at all. So this is where I am up to atm. I have disassembled and reassembled the bridge many times and cannot make the escape wheel contact both jewels. I have ordered another movement as they are not very expensive and I have already ordered a new band for the watch. I have used a different supplier this time and hope it makes some difference. The fact the watch was running before I disassembled it and now I can't get it to fit back together tends to suggest that the problem is me and not the watch. Anyhow, I will either have another go at disassembling and reassembling with the new movement or I'll just oil the new movement as best I can and put it in the watch so at least I can get it running.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information