Thread: Shenhua mechanical watch regulation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shenhua mechanical watch regulation

Hello all!
    I'm new here. I've just bought a very cheap Shenhua watch "Shenhua 9500". The attached manual claims an accuraracy of -5 to +20 seconds a day, but
    the watch runs faster 5 minutes a day. I'm wondering whether is there some adjustment I can make. The watch is like the one shown on this video:
    Skeleton automatic mechanical watch movement - Shenhua 2 Ebay - YouTube
    Thank you very much for your help!
    John

Re: Shenhua mechanical watch regulation

Quote Originally Posted by johnfulgor View Post
    Hello all!
    I'm new here. I've just bought a very cheap Shenhua watch "Shenhua 9500". The attached manual claims an accuraracy of -5 to +20 seconds a day, but
    the watch runs faster 5 minutes a day. I'm wondering whether is there some adjustment I can make. The watch is like the one shown on this video:
    John
    Check out this link.

How to regulate a mechanical watch (7S26 / 7S36 / valjoux 7750, ETA))

5 minutes per day is a big gain. It is probably a good idea to wear the watch for a few days and let it "break in" before attempting adjustment. I usually don't regulate a new watch before wearing it for about a month. If you have a good camera, it is a good idea to photograph the position of the balance adjusters, before adjusting, so you can get close to original positions if you get clumsy with it. Then photograph again after adjustment, so you can see how much change in regulation you get by moving the adjustment a certain amount. Then if you went too far you can split the difference. I would probably move the lever about 1.0mm to the slow side for a first try, with 5 min/day gain. You might have to go back and forth a few times to get it right. Also, after any adjustment, wear the watch for a couple of days before deciding whether you got it right.

I can usually get a watch to better than +- 10 sec per day if it has a decent movement. I have regulated quite a few watches, and can usually get one right with a couple of adjustments, and a stubborn one in about 6 tries. I have a Heinrichssohn with a slight kink in the hair spring, that was very stubborn.

Inactive

Hello all!
    John
    5 minutes per day is not really adjustable. There is something wrong with the balance system. Could be oil or dirt sticking coils of the balance spring together or it might be magnetized.
    This is a $12 to $14 watch so if you want to use it to learn about regulating; there won't be any great loss if you mangle it.
    Post a picture of the back side of the movement and we can tell you what to touch and what not to touch.

Just a note: the watch in the video has a not too healthy balance itself; the oscillations are all over the place

Name:  orologio.JPG
Views: 3295
Size:  318.8 KB
    Could it be this the bar to move? I'd like to be sure before trying to open the case.
    Thank you!

Inactive

Name:  orologio.JPG
Views: 3295
Size:  318.8 KB
    Could it be this the bar to move? I'd like to be sure before trying to open the case.
    Thank you!
    Yes; that is the regulator lever. Push it towards the other lever to slow it down. Don't touch the other lever or the beat will go out of sync.
    Good luck

Thank you.
    I've easily opened the case with ... a caliper! Don't know how it came to my mind. I've moved the bar. I let you know.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Pawl_Buster View Post
    Just a note: the watch in the video has a not too healthy balance itself; the oscillations are all over the place
    Hi Pawl Buster. Could you tell me how you determined that? Did you measure the oscillations by ear or do you have some device that can measure it from the sound?

P.S. Not to hijack the thread, but I have a watch like this too. I was wondering whether anyone can link me to a site with disassembly photos of the movement. I'd like to know what kind of automatic winding system it uses (whether it's a magic lever clone or some other system).

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by LMF5000 View Post
    Hi Pawl Buster. Could you tell me how you determined that? Did you measure the oscillations by ear or do you have some device that can measure it from the sound?

P.S. Not to hijack the thread, but I have a watch like this too. I was wondering whether anyone can link me to a site with disassembly photos of the movement. I'd like to know what kind of automatic winding system it uses (whether it's a magic lever clone or some other system).
    This can be best 'seen' by observing the balance wheel as it oscillates. You can see the pint where the spokes stop and change direction. If the spokes seem to move around or shift position; that's an indication it's not running true.

On a timing machine with a graphic display; this would show as a parallel row of dots that don't follow a smooth line.

As to the auto winding system; it depends entirely on the individual watch. Folks here have bought the exact same models and found them to have different auto winders.

Check the resources link at the top of the page; most common movements have a 'tear down' thread there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawl_Buster View Post
    This can be best 'seen' by observing the balance wheel as it oscillates. You can see the pint where the spokes stop and change direction. If the spokes seem to move around or shift position; that's an indication it's not running true.

On a timing machine with a graphic display; this would show as a parallel row of dots that don't follow a smooth line.

As to the auto winding system; it depends entirely on the individual watch. Folks here have bought the exact same models and found them to have different auto winders.

Check the resources link at the top of the page; most common movements have a 'tear down' thread there.
    Thanks for that. I understand what you mean about whether the spokes stop at different places in each oscillation. However since my watch has a 4-spoke balance wheel, it's easy to confuse one spoke with another. Tell me, what kind of amplitude is common (in degrees) for the balance wheel with a half-wound mainspring? If it's more than 90 degrees then the spokes would overlap in my case.

I've solved the automatic problem... I took out my tools and disassembled the watch. Looks like they actually copied the rolex system here hehe. The weight turns two one-way clutches - one of them directly, the second one indirectly because it meshes through the first one. The centres of the clutches mesh with a gear that eventually drives the mainspring.

Took me an hour and a half to put it back together (first time taking apart a watch for me...) because I had to align the three gears and two studs that anchored the plate to the movement... but the winding system seems to be working bidirectionally. We'll know for sure in a few days.

Some pics:
    Here's the automatic plate showing the two clutched gears
    Name:  IMAG0598_zpsa08a00c3.jpg
Views: 2661
Size:  89.8 KB

One more for good measure:
    Name:  IMAG0595_zpsec75bfb1.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  79.9 KB

And here's the rest of the watch without the auto plate:
    Name:  IMAG0594_zps5b6f198c.jpg
Views: 2137
Size:  83.1 KB

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Not so much a 'Rolex system'. More like the one invented by Eterna and now used by ETA. Only this one uses a clutch system in the reverser wheels similar to the one developed by Elgin with tiny balls in assymetrical slots. The best Chinese movements that employ this system use ruby balls but this one has steel.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information