Should I buy a Marina Militare?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Toothbras
  • 1 Post By Jusxusfanatic
  • 2 Post By Hughlysses

Thread: Should I buy a Marina Militare?

My seiko 6309 is arriving soon, and while waiting for that I discovered this "brand". They look good for the price, and I like panerai's too, so should I get one? Thanks

Re: Should I buy a Marina Militare?

We are not permitted to discuss MM watches on this forum. Check other forums to see what others have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    We are not permitted to discuss MM watches on this forum. Check other forums to see what others have said.

Sorry, will delete this post later. That reply tho haha
    Toothbras likes this.

Panerai were dropped by the Mariner Militare around 1970, they applied to be their suppliers again in something like the late 90s and the Marina Militare turned them down. After that Citizen became the Marina Militare watches. Don't know if anyone specific currently is. Parnis and Panerai are equally both not Marina Militare suppliers. Panerai jumped in and trade marked something which wasn't theirs, bizarre that they got away with it in law!
    ●7.25●

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen2020 View Post
    Panerai were dropped by the Mariner Militare around 1970, they applied to be their suppliers again in something like the late 90s and the Marina Militare turned them down. After that Citizen became the Marina Militare watches. Don't know if anyone specific currently is. Parnis and Panerai are equally both not Marina Militare suppliers. Panerai jumped in and trade marked something which wasn't theirs, bizarre that they got away with it in law!
    Yeah, it always seemed like someone in the US trademarking "United States Navy" and then attacking anyone who used those words. This probably will get shut down if enough people just comment that it is a bizarre bit of law.
    "To covfefe and beyond!"

I got very interested in these watches last year and became re-interested in the last few weeks. Apparently there have been developments regarding this name in the last year or so as well. An article at asian-watches dot com states that all these watches were pulled from the eBay, Amazon, and .........s around February 2017 upon threat of a lawsuit from Panerai's parent company, Richemont. However, if you go to these sites today, you'll see plenty of non-Panerai MM watches listed.

After a lot of research I decided to buy an MM homage last week from the site proclaiming themselves as the "official" Parnis site. They have plenty of photos of homage watches in this style, none featuring MM on the dial. The photos on their site didn't show any destro (lefty) models in the style I wanted, so I e-mailed them and asked if any were available. A company rep quickly responded with photos of 2 destro models, both clearly marked MM on the dial. After a couple more e-mails I decided to purchase a 44mm model and placed my order.

A couple of days later I was browsing this website and found the following on their FAQ page:

"Do we sell 'MARINA MILITARE' Watches?"

No. 'Marina Militare' is copyrighted and a registered Trademark by Officine Panerai®.

Any Online Reseller or Website selling "Marina Militare" watches is selling a counterfeit product and therefore should be immediately reported to the local authorities.

Under no circumstance does PARNIS ® sell or promote counterfeit products or any brand other than its own.
    So it seems there are 3 possibilities: (1) the photos I was sent are old and my watch will not actually have "MM" on the dial, which would be fine with me (2) their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing, or (3) the language on their FAQ page is strictly for the benefit of Richemont's corporate lawyers.

I'll post an update when I get my watch.
    Chascomm and anabuki like this.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

The 'no MM' rule was implemented here at Watchuseek back in 2009 and there has been a sticky explaining this since then:
    No MM branded watches allowed
    While it may seem silly to some of us to trademark a term meaning 'navy', it is not a fight worth having given that there is no real need for any Chinese watch to bear that inscription.

The take-home for Jusxusfanatic in his quest for a watch of this kind is that there are plenty of options out there without any trademarked inscriptions but otherwise conforming to a greater or lesser degree to the MM style.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

The trademark world is messed up. A British pen company was not able to call itself Platinum so they called themselves Platignum, but a Japanese company was able to call themselves Platinum at a later date. The Australian Woolworths has no connection with the American Woolworths, they just were able to get away with registering the name. Parnis and Panerai are both equally not MM. Shame Parnis didn't annex the name first :)
    ●7.25●

Well, my lefty MM homage from Parnis (the one with the ".org" suffix) arrived today. It clearly has the forbidden label on the dial:

Name:  IMG_0706.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  60.9 KB

I got a follow-up e-mail from the representative I corresponded with prior to purchasing the watch from Parnis today as well. He stated that they no longer manufacture this style of watch and wanted to know how I like it, so perhaps they have gotten out of the business of producing MM-labeled watches.

Thread Information