Watch shopping in Changchun
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aladin_sane

Thread: Watch shopping in Changchun

Watch shopping in Changchun

Work will be taking me to Changchun China at the end of May. Can anyone direct me to some possible locations for watch shopping in the area? I am thinking about chinese watches, not swiss.

Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

Re: Watch shopping in Changchun

All I can suggest is ask about the local second-hand market or district. Most cities have them, I think, and given the population of Changchun, I'd expect it.

I generalize because my experience is limited, but I've found watches in local markets in any city that size that I've been to. I'd expect to find general antique/2nd hand sellers with displayed vcms among other watches, and watch repairers with watches to sell, also.

Good hunting!
    Hidden Content in Peace River (AMCH/PR) Hidden Content
    Member: Hidden Content , a formally instituted Working Committee under the direction of the Hidden Content .

I visited Changchun in late 2007. Try Charter Department Store. It is fantastic and HUGE. They sell a lot of European luxury brands like Chanel and Dior, but I remember the store also sold a wide variety of Chinese brands. I wasn't into watches back then, so I don't recall any watch shops, but I suppose you could find them there. There is also a Carrefour that carries just about everything. You might want to try there.

Changchun is the Detroit of China, a lot of car factories and money. It's definitely not a touristy place. I study the puppet state Manchukuo (滿洲國), so I really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Illyria; April 21st, 2015 at 10:05.

well,try Charter Department Store. It is fantastic and HUGE.

I am finally leaving for this trip to Changchun in the morning. Delays in fabrication of the equipment I am going over to inspect have pushed it back from my original May plan. I won't have a great deal of time for watch shopping, but I will report back with what I find.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Best of luck to you!
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Ni hao from Changchun. I am going back to the states in the morning. My business here was successful, my watch hunting was not quite as good. As expected, you can find fakes of every brand on any street corner. You can also find all the big Swiss brands at any major shopping center. My hunt for vintage chinese mechanicals was a little more difficult. I was finally able to find Jilin Antique City which is a warren of little shops on the fourth floor of a nondescript building on the main shopping street here in the city. I found plenty of thrashed Shanghai watches, but not much else. I finally did pick up a working jixing. The back of the watch says it is from Jilin province, and that is where I am visiting, so I thought it would be a fitting souvenir. I also found a nice display of new Sea Gulls in the large shopping center just north of the Shangri La Hotel where I have been staying. It was the only place I saw any Sea Gulls in a full day of looking. I picked up a nice 219.613 from there. I will get around to posting some pics when I get back to the states.
    bcy likes this.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

It's a shame that the pickings were so slim, but well done for finding a geographically relevant souvenir VCM
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by aladin_sane View Post
    Ni hao from Changchun. I am going back to the states in the morning. My business here was successful, my watch hunting was not quite as good. As expected, you can find fakes of every brand on any street corner. You can also find all the big Swiss brands at any major shopping center. My hunt for vintage chinese mechanicals was a little more difficult. I was finally able to find Jilin Antique City which is a warren of little shops on the fourth floor of a nondescript building on the main shopping street here in the city. I found plenty of thrashed Shanghai watches, but not much else. I finally did pick up a working jixing. The back of the watch says it is from Jilin province, and that is where I am visiting, so I thought it would be a fitting souvenir. I also found a nice display of new Sea Gulls in the large shopping center just north of the Shangri La Hotel where I have been staying. It was the only place I saw any Sea Gulls in a full day of looking. I picked up a nice 219.613 from there. I will get around to posting some pics when I get back to the states.

Hi,
    I know this is a bit old threat but could you please tell me the price of that SeaGull and a link if you did it's review ? Is it accurate and is it still working ?
    Thank yuou.

Sorry for the late reply, and I have yet to post any pictures of the two watches I bought, but the seagull is still running great. I paid the equivalent of $250 US dollars for it. It is very accurate and a good looking watch. I frequently wear it for dress occasions.

Thread Information