What a Difference a Strap Makes!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 88Keys
  • 1 Post By Bucks

Thread: What a Difference a Strap Makes!

What a Difference a Strap Makes!

I've had my Alpha Explorer for about a week now. I must admit to being quite underwhelmed. It gains about twenty-six seconds a day, but I hope to put that right when the tool to open the Rolex style back arrives.

Overall, though, the look just wasn't doing it for me, and I've hardly worn the watch for that reason. On a whim today, I removed the noisy metal bracelet, and fitted a cheap strap I had lying around. What a difference! Suddenly, it seems to have taken on a whole new level of class.

for the first time since it arrived, I get pleasure from looking at it. I think I'm going to have to order myself a decent strap for this piece, and I can see it will get a lot more wrist time.

I'm sure it doesn't carry well in this poor light photo, but what's a post without a photo, right?

Name:  A18239D7-2293-465B-BFF2-B8325BAA68A9.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  250.7 KB
    Last edited by 88Keys; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:20. Reason: Missing apostrophe. Hurt the inner grammar .....
    Tony Rex and Chascomm like this.

Re: What a Difference a Strap Makes!

There are plenty of good straps to be found on the internet. I've bought way too many, but since I've been buying straps I've bought far fewer watches. You can change the look of a watch significantly with a strap. I've bought 24 nato straps (leather and nylon), a leather hirsch strap and a few bracelets. Enjoy!
    88Keys likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    There are plenty of good straps to be found on the internet. I've bought way too many, but since I've been buying straps I've bought far fewer watches. You can change the look of a watch significantly with a strap. I've bought 24 nato straps (leather and nylon), a leather hirsch strap and a few bracelets. Enjoy!
    Yes. I was quite surprised at the difference it made. It changed the piece, in my opinion, from something decidedly ho-hum, to a nice elegant look. It was a revelation!

In your opinion, what price do you have to pay to get something better quality than the straps that cheaper watches normally come with? Is there a price at which the law of diminishing returns applies?

Hirsch make some nice leather straps for $40. You can buy nato straps directly from China that are good quality (10 for $20). If you pay $150 you will get an awesome Hirsch crocodile strap.

A good belt can be more expensive than a watch. So it was with my KonTiki from Shanghai.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Pedalis View Post
    A good belt can be more expensive than a watch. So it was with my KonTiki from Shanghai.

Thread Information