Your opinion on this manual movement please?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Chascomm
  • 1 Post By Bucks
  • 1 Post By Chascomm
  • 1 Post By LightDot

Thread: Your opinion on this manual movement please?

Confused Your opinion on this manual movement please?

Any info on this if it's good?

Hand Windind Sea-gull ST3621 (6498-2) Movement

Apparently it's
    Running Time- 40Hour, +/-45sec/1day
    Is that acceptable to you? forty five seconds?

There's a video on youtube https://youtu.be/-7KtlERRDj0">https://youtu.be/-7KtlERRDj0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
    Title: Seagull ST36 Design Flaw

Is it the same as ST3621 (6498-2) ?

What would be a good manual movement in your opinion?

I must suck at researching because I can't seem to find any Japanese MANUAL movement. They're all Miyota automatic movement.

Newbie here, bear with me please. Thank you.

Re: Your opinion on this manual movement please?

Also, is Asian 6498 a Seagull?

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

There are at least two Chinese manufacturers producing clones of the Unitas/ETA 6497/6498 pocket-watch movement.

Sea-Gull produce the ST36 series which is available with seconds sub-dial at 6 o'clock or 9 o'clock and with 4 styles of movement bridge design (including skeleton). The escapement beats at 21,600 bph. There are no complications offered. This is the movement that you have been looking at.

Hangzhou Watch Factory produce the 9-series, which is available in a variety of layouts, bridge designs, skeleton cuts and with various optional complications on additional sub-dials. The escapement was originally 18,000 bph, but a few years ago was uprated to 21,600. The older ones are probably still available.

"Asian 6498" simply means that the assembler/brand-owner is not particular about where they bought their movements and "6498" describes something that the customer is likely to be familiar with. The other thing that you will see is "Sea-Gull 6498" to describe a Hangzhou movement, just because Sea-Gull is the most well-known Chinese manufacturer.

You will not find a Miyota or Seiko/TMI equivalent to this because they only produce wristwatch movements. These big movements are actually pocket-watch movements, even though they are mostly seen in wristwatches these days.

+/-45 sec/day is quite a normal specification for a low-cost watch movement. Seiko or Miyota don't promise much more on their entry-level pieces. It is the guaranteed performance of the movement. If your watch consistently performs outside that range (without having been damaged) then you could legitimately make a warranty claim. Straight out of the box it is more likely to be within 10-15 sec/day.
    kayeng likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

I've got two of them (Seagull 3621) and with regulation you will easily get them to within +/- 10 seconds a day. One of mine runs at +/- 2 seconds a day. Just my opinion but the Seagull st36 is pretty solid. I have a Hangzhou 9000 series watch which I really like. I have broken the Hangzhou- overwound it.
    kayeng likes this.

Is the Hangzhou 9212 considered as one of the Hangzhou 9000 series and therefore a clone of Unitas/ETA 6498?

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kayeng View Post
    Is the Hangzhou 9212 considered as one of the Hangzhou 9000 series and therefore a clone of Unitas/ETA 6498?
    Yes.
    kayeng likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    I've got two of them (Seagull 3621) and with regulation you will easily get them to within +/- 10 seconds a day. One of mine runs at +/- 2 seconds a day. Just my opinion but the Seagull st36 is pretty solid. I have a Hangzhou 9000 series watch which I really like. I have broken the Hangzhou- overwound it.
    Unless you took pliers and cranked the thing past any reasonable force, I doubt that winding was the issue... Unless there was a underlying problem to begin with, which is of course possible.

As it is now, can you wind it? Does it wind indefinitely, with no resistance? Or is it wound as far as it will go and stuck there?

Generally speaking, when one sees a movement described as "overwound", this often means that the mainspring is wound as far as it goes while the gear train is unable to move due to a broken part (commonly a broken balance staff). It is seldom the mainspring that is the culprit.
    kayeng likes this.

Thread Information