Irrational Dislikes - Page 5
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Irrational Dislikes

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: Irrational Dislikes

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Most of my dislikes are totally rational - I usually have my reasons for disliking the things I dislike.
    But some I kinda don't:

1. Thin lips.
    2. People who wear ALL gold watches - but I have no problem with all gold jewelry - am OK with that.
    3. Actors who also sing on the side - mostly a Hong Kong thing?
    4. Asian Pop
    5. People who make the V sign when taking pics - except for celebrities, but even then...
    6. Slow walkers
    7. The "prole gap" - seeing it on others (Dubya, for instance)
    8. Sappy movies with happy endings
    9. Indiscriminately serious (sincere) people. Serious (sincere) all the time about everything... Like I am being right now with this dang list!
    10. Cops with mustaches + aviator sunglasses
    11. Vegans who let you know that they are vegans
    12. Wall calendars - and people who put them up in their homes, anywhere, more than one, etc
    13. Long, drawn-out goodbyes
    14. Hugging after a school shooting
    15. Atheists who loudly make an issue out of religion
    16. Religious people who mention THEIR religion all the time
    17. "My country, right or wrong" mentality
    18. The word 'hero' - the way it's used today
    19. The word 'racist' - the way it's used today
    20. "Preppie" clothes and their makers (Abercrombie, etc), the whole artificial culture actually
    Vegans:
    That doesn't bother me at all. At least if they tell me, I can let them know that the menu I have planned for a party won't have anything other than alcohol that has no animal ingredients in it. That way they'll know they should either bring something vegan so they can eat, or make sure they ate before they arrive. What I don't like is a drunk, obnoxious vegan running around making a fool of themselves because they didn't have the good sense to speak up before they showed up to find there's nothing they can eat being served. LOL

Vegans know they are vegan and they know damn well that most people aren't vegan. So if they want to participate in a social event, they need to speak up in a timely manner, if only to know how they should manage their vegan-ness given the circumstances. I don't mind them being vegan, and I don't dislike them for being vegan, but I'm not going to feel bad about having nothing that isn't flavored/prepared with bacon, chicken, eggs, butter, beef, lamb, fish, etc. if they don't bother to tell me before I've settled on the menu.

Atheists:
    The thing that riles me about atheists is that the vast majority of atheists aren't aware that atheism is also a religion. It's merely a religion that professes the non-existence of one or more gods. What's even more surprising to me is atheists have so much to say about their own or other religions. I don't care what they believe, but if one is going to deny the existence of a god, then doing so pretty well says all that need be said. They don't need to convince anyone that they are right about that; they just need to find some force that inspires them treat their fellow man kindly. For theists God(s) and their religion's dogma does that. For atheists, I don't know what does it, but whatever it is, so long as it works, I'm good with it.

Racist, as a term:
    How is its definition today different from what it's always meant? I truly wasn't aware the meaning of the word had changed.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    When it comes to people, about the only people whom I genuinely dislike are those who have irrationally arrived at views and who act upon them so as to grow their own fortunes (not necessarily economic fortunes, but yes economic ones too), maintain their status quo, or to deny one or more things to others. Selfish, avaricious and envious people are ones for whom I have little patience and lots of dislike.

+1
    Sums it up nicely for me.
    I can entertain ALL views as long as they are rationally arrived at / accounted for.
    In short, I will respect any person as long as they are willing and able to be reflective and responsible for holding them.

This - different shades of subjectivity - is what makes other (unusual) minds fascinating: the ones that can offer a clear purview of their experiences, and the horizon of their beliefs and values, against which they are willing to test those beliefs and values (as opposed to simply wallowing in them at home).
    tony20009 likes this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Vegans:
    I don't dislike them for being vegan, but I'm not going to feel bad about having nothing that isn't flavored/prepared with bacon, chicken, eggs, butter, beef, lamb, fish, etc. if they don't bother to tell me before I've settled on the menu.
    Very kind of you to imply you will accommodate them if they tell you in advance.
    I usually pretend I never heard anything.
    But more importantly, if *I* were vegan, I would be loath to ask my host to go out of his way. I would simply eat before or after whatever function, if there was nothing suitable for me, but I would still have a plate of lamb-wrapped-in-bacon, in front of me.

Atheists:
    The thing that riles me about atheists is that the vast majority of atheists aren't aware that atheism is also a religion.
    Indeed, a simple point that's lost on many people who are so busy with their denial of their own imaginary construct / deconstruction. Kinda like defining and describing Pegasus - its origins, powers, mating habits, etc, and then saying it does not exist. Well, yes and no. Philosophically clumsy in handling the full ontological aspect of the word 'exist.'

Racist, as a term:
    How is its definition today different from what it's always meant? I truly wasn't aware the meaning of the word had changed.

All the best.
    An example of abuse and misuse today:
    Tony: "I don't like chotofu - it smells bad."
    Chrono: "You're a racist!"
    poised likes this.

Vegans:
    That doesn't bother me at all. At least if they tell me, I can let them know that the menu I have planned for a party won't have anything other than alcohol that has no animal ingredients in it. That way they'll know they should either bring something vegan so they can eat, or make sure they ate before they arrive. What I don't like is a drunk, obnoxious vegan running around making a fool of themselves because they didn't have the good sense to speak up before they showed up to find there's nothing they can eat being served. LOL

Vegans know they are vegan and they know damn well that most people aren't vegan. So if they want to participate in a social event, they need to speak up in a timely manner, if only to know how they should manage their vegan-ness given the circumstances. I don't mind them being vegan, and I don't dislike them for being vegan, but I'm not going to feel bad about having nothing that isn't flavored/prepared with bacon, chicken, eggs, butter, beef, lamb, fish, etc. if they don't bother to tell me before I've settled on the menu.

BTW, vegans and vegetarians baffle me somewhat. They claim that they don't cotton to eating other animals or animal-based products for, among other reasons, a concern for life. Well, plants aren't dead and it's now been learned that there is at least one animal that, like plants, produces its own food. (This Animal Makes its Own Food Like Plants do) Now, I don't especially want to eat slugs, but I probably could/might for I have eaten and enjoyed snails, and they ain't too different from slugs. After all, what is a snail but a slug in a mobile home? LOL

The thing about veganism/vegetarianism is that the "respect for life" aspect of the argument favoring its adoption is just hogwash. Humans, as a species, a life form, aren't one bit different now than they were one million years ago with the advent of homo erectus. Indeed, but for eating flesh and marrow, we wouldn't be what we are (as a species) now. The higher protein diet that comes with being an omnivore is why our brain developed as it has. Our brains are about all that materially distinguishes us from the next most intelligent animals on the planet, let alone all the rest of them. (Okay, yes, the fully opposable thumb is also a critical distinguishing feature, but without the bigger and more capable brain, there's not much use to come from a habile thumb. For example, one needs to understand intellectually that a spark can start a fire before deliberately creating a spark to start one.)

Accordingly, though I don't care if a person adopts a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, I think the "respect for life" argument for it is nothing but a made up bunch of crap that attempts to deny nature. Omnivores have evolved to eat flesh and plant life forms. Their success has for millions of years depended on doing exactly that. Though we may live somewhat differently now than humans did millions of years ago, the differences exist at a superficial level. As creatures of evolution, we aren't any different, and the mere fact that we are capable of rationalizing why we might find it objectionable to eat meat, doing so seems perfectly right to me.

If we want to respect other animal life forms, then what we'd do is what other meat eating animals do. We wouldn't kill more than we need. Predators even are well aware that certain parts of their prey are tastier/better than others, but they nonetheless eat all of it that's safely edible. Do we humans today usually do that? In general, no; moreover, we certainly kill animals that we have no intention of also eating. I can see a case for wearing a mink coat if one also eat mink, but who eats mink? Sometimes, however, such as with cows and pigs, very little of the creature is wasted.

Vegans/vegetarians may also raise that they can't very well protest factory farming if they eat meat. BS. There's plenty to find deplorable about factory farming whether one eats meat or not. Eating meat and despising the way meat is made available to eat are not the same things. Overall, I'm fine with and consider as rational some of the bases for eschewing carnivoristic eating habits, but so far, of all the ethical reasons put for for doing so, maybe one or two of them holds water. (49 Good Reasons For Being A Vegetarian)

All the best.
    Chronopolis and poised like this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Hidden Content

Very kind of you to imply you will accommodate them if they tell you in advance.
    I usually pretend I never heard anything.
    But more importantly, if *I* were vegan, I would be loath to ask my host to go out of his way. I would simply eat before or after whatever function, if there was nothing suitable for me, but I would still have a plate of lamb-wrapped-in-bacon, in front of me.
    Truly, I've not had someone expressly ask me to accommodate their veganism. I wouldn't mind their asking, so long as they don't mind being told "no." Mind you, I'd only say "no" if they don't ask early enough for me to fit their request into the meal plan. In general, I am happy to accommodate them; I like being a gracious host and I definitely like my friends and close acquaintances' company at my gatherings.

I only know two vegans, however, and only one of them has ever been invited to an event I hosted. He once didn't RSVP in time, so I told him that he'd have to bring something that could be quickly prepared/heated, or show up very early with ingredients and a recipe suggestion for the chef if he wanted something to eat. He's well aware of my constant travel and that my kids were away at school, so he understood that aside from what the cook purchased for the party, there wasn't likely much food in the house. So, he was fine with with my refusal to have something made for his vegan sensibilities. (Of course, he also had to be fine with it because I didn't offer any other alternatives. LOL)

FWIW, a super tasty but not especially fancy vegan dish I can make is vegan spaghetti. It's not substantively different than spaghetti with meat sauce except that I replace ground meat with mushroom broth reconstituted TVP. It's actually quite tasty and hearty. As a dyed in the wool meat eater, I can tell you in complete confidence that you'll love it. I made it once for my vegan buddy and served it even as the rest of my guests ate far more elaborate dishes. He was perfectly satisfied, which is just as well, for I don't have any "fancy" vegan dishes in my repertoire.

An example of abuse and misuse today:
    Tony: "I don't like chotofu - it smells bad."
    Chrono: "You're a racist!"
    Ah, now I understand what you mean. I fully agree with you that folks seem keen these days to use overstatement in ways that are entirely inappropriate. Whether folks do so because they are incapable of accurately expressing themselves, or because they think they are doing so and don't actually know what the term means, or for some other correctable reason, I don't know. In any case, like you, I would much rather people learn better the subtleties of communication so that audiences can tell when the speaker/writer is being slanderous/libelous and when they are merely using hyperbole for literary/rhetorical effect.

Just to continue the hypothetical conversation:

Tony:
    I am nothing of the sort and the proof of that is found in the fact that not one single chodofu is ever going to suffer as a result of my dislike for it. You're an idiot who clearly doesn't even know the meaning of the word, and you're especially insensitive for bandying about that term with such abandon. Racism is the act of holding negative beliefs and behaving on those beliefs with regard to people, not things. If anything, I'm an anti-chodofu-ist, not a racist.

All the best.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

Hidden Content

...veganism...In general, I am happy to accommodate them; I like being a gracious host and I definitely like my friends and close acquaintances' company at my gatherings.
    Actually, I am not as churlish as I make myself out to be.
    I will always make sure there is a head of cabbage and a baguette for those who want to be "ethical."
    And they can help themselves any which they they please.

What gets me is, as you've said, the flimsiness of their so-called "ethical stance."
    Talk about First World problems!

Long story short, I have yet to meet anyone who is dogmatic about anything - especially food! - who did not also harbor a nasty, niggardly heart somewhere deep inside. How they berate ( or stew in contempt for) those who do not see things their way!
    (A lot of people who like to TALK ABOUT doing "meditation" are similar, in my experience.)

Needlessly to say, I have no vegan friends.
    Make that: I have no friends at all. LOL!

"Time and place for everything," and "All things in moderation" hold true for me, and for my closest friends.

Just to continue the hypothetical conversation:

Tony:
    If anything, I'm an anti-chodofu-ist, not a racist.

All the best.
    I actually came around to liking it, after having initially the same reaction as you did.
    BTW, eating a tiny amount, as you did, will not give you the real taste.
    Why? Because you need a critical mass of it to let the tongue take over and "neutralize" what the nose is telling you.
    Ya, the smell is still somewhat offensive to me even now, but once it's inside the mouth, it's quite good.

But durian? No. I tried. Not gonna happen. I feel I have earned the right to say, with total honesty, that I KNOW what baby poop tastes like.
    Apparently, it its frozen, it can be more tolerable, but I don't feel like tolerating it. At best, it tastes like fried onions. Not my idea of "refreshing."
    Last edited by Chronopolis; May 14th, 2015 at 10:37.

After all, what is a snail but a slug in a mobile home? LOL

All the best.
    Good one!

Well what exactly is it you dislike? "Sideways man?" His motorbike? How he sits on the motorbike? Something else?
    I'm not looking to vent anything approaching anger or hatred in this thread. Words can be misleading. They can be misunderstood or misinterpreted depending on the setting, the audience and so on. "Dislike" has a scale - i.e. it could be anywhere from mildly dislike to strongly dislike. Strongly dislike is verging towards hate.

Perhaps a better title for the thread would have been Irrational Irritations. Sideways man irritates me. A little. More specifically, it's the way he has this odd, sideways riding position. So it is the pure visual element of his body position on the bike. It looks awkward. It looks wrong. I don't dislike the man himself. I know nothing about him so I have no reason to dislike him. And I don't. I think his odd riding style may tap into my OCD fixation about alignment. Doors that don't sit straight in a door frame, uneven body panel gaps on cars, dates not quite aligning perfectly in a watch date window, a picture frame that isn't quite level. I have no idea where this fixation comes from but it is there. And I believe that is why sideways man's riding position irritates me.

There are quite a few very rational dislikes being aired in the thread, such as people not indicating at roundabouts. Failing to use indicators has the potential to cause a crash so it’s a very rational thing to dislike. The thread is intended to look at irrational things that irritate you in some way as this is quite often, to my mind, amusing. Paul McCartney’s eyebrows. Just picture them. This is actually one of my wife’s irrationalities. The shape and position of those eyebrows, and the permanently slightly surprised look on his face that they create, annoy her. There’s no rational reason for it. The word “Glebe” - why on earth would that irritate anyone? But it does in our house. For no reason that can be established.

tony20009 likes this.

But durian? No. I tried. Not gonna happen. I feel I have earned the right to say, with total honesty, that I KNOW what baby poop tastes like.
    Apparently, it its frozen, it can be more tolerable, but I don't feel like tolerating it. At best, it tastes like fried onions. Not my idea of "refreshing."
    Well, if you don't want to give it a shot, you don't. It's not so tasty that your life will be incomplete for not having tried it.

FWIW, I only brought myself to give it a shot because it was on the menu in a restaurant and the restaurant itself didn't reek. The flavor is a melange of vanilla/apple custard, pineapple and banana and the texture was about that of baby food. (Frankly, I have all my teeth and generally prefer sweets/fruits with more structure. Mashed potatoes are about the only things I want to eat that is essentially mush.) I only tried it once and decided that while the flavor is easily palatable, overall it's not so special that I need to make a point of eating it, but I need not be freaked out if it appears before me as a desert offering at someone's home. I don't recall the prepared durian fruit smelling at all.

All the best.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PYLTN View Post
    I'm not looking to vent anything approaching anger or hatred in this thread. Words can be misleading. They can be misunderstood or misinterpreted depending on the setting, the audience and so on. "Dislike" has a scale - i.e. it could be anywhere from mildly dislike to strongly dislike. Strongly dislike is verging towards hate.

Perhaps a better title for the thread would have been Irrational Irritations. Sideways man irritates me. A little. More specifically, it's the way he has this odd, sideways riding position. So it is the pure visual element of his body position on the bike. It looks awkward. It looks wrong. I don't dislike the man himself. I know nothing about him so I have no reason to dislike him. And I don't.

I think his odd riding style may tap into my OCD fixation about alignment. Doors that don't sit straight in a door frame, uneven body panel gaps on cars, dates not quite aligning perfectly in a watch date window, a picture frame that isn't quite level. I have no idea where this fixation comes from but it is there. And I believe that is why sideways man's riding position irritates me.

There are quite a few very rational dislikes being aired in the thread, such as people not indicating at roundabouts. Failing to use indicators has the potential to cause a crash so it’s a very rational thing to dislike. The thread is intended to look at irrational things that irritate you in some way as this is quite often, to my mind, amusing. Paul McCartney’s eyebrows. Just picture them. This is actually one of my wife’s irrationalities. The shape and position of those eyebrows, and the permanently slightly surprised look on his face that they create, annoy her. There’s no rational reason for it. The word “Glebe” - why on earth would that irritate anyone? But it does in our house. For no reason that can be established.

Okay. Yes, that is irrational. I suppose in the scheme of irrational thinking, and applying consequentialist philisophy, it doesn't rise to the level of being something you need to alter. Accordingly, seeing it as just one of those things that's odd but amusing is fitting.

All the best.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

Hidden Content

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information