Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Weird/Funny/Stingy things people do to save money

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 86
  1. #31
    Member Chronopolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    5,910

    Re: Weird/Funny/Stingy things people do to save money

    Quote Originally Posted by Guarionex View Post
    When I was a young lad my mother used to make me eat cereal with a fork. When finished my brother would then eat cereal with my filtered milk.
    Whoa! Re~~spect!!!!
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

  2. #32
    Moderator at Large GinGinD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    8,289

    Re: Weird/Funny/Stingy things people do to save money

    This actually sounds like an obsessive compulsive disorder rather than your standard stinginess. Anytime you have a behavior that is interfering with your quality of life (ie broken relationships) that behavior needs to be addressed. In this case, it sounds like he's not controlling his money, his need to save is controlling him and dictating his life choices beyond what is healthy.

    Jeannie

    Quote Originally Posted by falcon4311 View Post
    I have a friend in Vancouver BC that we go to visit every once in a while. I don't think that there is anyone on this planet that is cheaper than this man. He squeezes every ounce of value from each penny he spends.

    He will stop at a gas station only to put $10.00 in his car and then he goes on his merry way. I asked him why he does this, his reply was, "it might be a little cheaper down the road." Okay, I can handle that one, he might save $3.00 or $4.00 a week doing this but I really think it's a waste of time. Especially since he drives a Mazda 3 which gets pretty good gas mileage.

    We went on a trip up to the Olympic village outside Vancouver to see the facilities from when they had the winter Olympics back in 2010. I stand almost 6' 4", the Mazda is not a great car for me to fold myself into, but I appreciated him taking us on the little tour. The temperature in the morning was palatable but as the day went on it turned into a scorcher of a day.

    Being as tall as I am I had to sit low in the seat or my head would be through the sunroof. To make a long story short, he wouldn't turn on the air conditioner because it uses up more gas. I literally felt like a piece of bacon, the top of my head and my legs were burning from the sun that was directly over head. I told him that I can't take the heat anymore, so he begrudgingly closed the sunroof and turned the air on economy.

    He will spend an extra $5.00 on gas to save $3.00 on an item he wants to buy. When he is on the hunt for something, it’s usually an electronic gadget, it takes him weeks before he makes his final decision on where he is going to buy based solely on the price.

    His bathroom is full of shampoo, conditioners, soap and other goodies that he takes from the hotels he stays in. He travels a lot with his job. Any time he comes to my province, he goes on a spending spree buying high end clothes here because we don’t have a provincial sales tax.

    With Costco’s more than generous return policy, he returned an office desk 2 years after buying it because he saw another one he liked better. He has every receipt and box for every item he has bought just in case he wants to sell it or return it. He has one room in his house where the closet is full from floor to ceiling with boxes from electronics and household items that he has bought.

    He phoned me one day and asked how much he should be paying to have a battery replaced in his Tissot T-Race. I told him it should be anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00, he was outraged that the AD wanted $20.00 which is a little steep, so he left in a huff and once he arrived back home was phoning every watch store trying to get the best deal out there.

    He has had more than one relationship go south on him simply because he is so cheap. I could tell you hundreds of other examples of how he pinches pennies but I think you get the idea.

    I don’t like overpaying for items I buy either, but I could never go to the lengths that he does in order to save a few dollars. I guess that’s why he has way more money than I do.
    Last edited by GinGinD; April 28th, 2012 at 18:53.
    Bolaberlim and Monocrom like this.
    Moderator at Large

  3. #33
    Member falcon4311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    7,521

    Re: Weird/Funny/Stingy things people do to save money

    Quote Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
    This actually sounds like an obsessive compulsive disorder rather than your standard stinginess. Anytime you have a behavior that is interfering with your quality of life (ie broken relationships) that behavior needs to be addressed. In this case, it sounds like he's not controlling his money, his need to save is controlling him and dictating his life choices beyond what is healthy.

    Jeannie
    He has actually admitted to being neurotic, bordering on OCD. I guess it's frustrating that he has these issues and yet he hasn't taken serious measures to correct his problems. He is highly intelligent but for some reason can't figure out that seeing a professional would be beneficial. I hate to say it, but I can only take hanging out with him in small doses. When I travel to BC I split my time between him and my best friend who lives in Victoria, the majority of my time with him.
    He stresses himself out over things that wouldn't bother others, I know I have a bit of a temper but I'd rather be the way I am as opposed to having the issues my friend has.

  4. #34
    Member Bolaberlim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Weird/Funny/Stingy things people do to save money

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    So, you're really a Russian agent then.
    Shocking.
    I certainly can say VODKA like the best of them! :D
    My Collection:

    Seiko Black Monster
    Orsa Sea Angler Lithium
    Citizen Ecozilla on Walt's
    Deep Blue 2K
    Citizen vintage Diver
    Timex Expedition WS4
    Casio Protrek PRG-70t

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Middle of Hurricane Alley
    Posts
    20,760

    Re: Weird/Funny/Stingy things people do to save money

    When I have boiled ( steamed) my potatoes, I use the liquid and one or two of the potato pieces, some cloved of Garlic, ground Caraway seeds to make a delicious and healthy soup.

    My mom used to make a " bread soup" of Rye Bread that had gone a little bit dry.

    I waste the money I save on watches, but my parents retired when mum was 55 and dad 60. As they still live frugally ( = not wasting money) I expect to inherit.
    Then I will buy me a nice ALS. So I never forget them of coursee.....

    We had an interesting Thread some time go where we posted how we save money on stuff. It was interesting, even when some WUSsers accused me in a nasty way.
    Last edited by Janne; April 28th, 2012 at 23:30.

  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Christmas Island Australia (not in the Pacific)
    Posts
    187

    Re: Weird/Funny/Stingy things people do to save money

    I know this guy - - - me, who is not proud to ask friends where their old watches are. So far I've scored a Wenger Navigator, Citizen Prodiver and a crazy Mariner which is a Seiko SKX case with a Miyota quartz movement.

  7. #37
    Member Monocrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    13,529

    Re: Weird/Funny/Stingy things people do to save money

    Quote Originally Posted by Guarionex View Post
    I even think some supermarkets charge you if you want them to pack your grocery with plastic. They advise you bring your own.
    Any supermarket pulling that nonsense won't see a penny of my money. They're a business, they're out to make money. They don't give a damn about the environment. That's just an excuse to charge for a part of the shopping experience that's supposed to be free. If they could charge a fee for letting you both in and out of their automatic doors, they would! At one supermarket, the cashier put two heavy bottles of soda into one plastic bag. I called her out on that nonsense. She told me it was store policy to only use one bag unless the customer wanted them to double-bag. Really?? So the store wants to save money on the absolute, most cheapest, item in the place. Okay, I walk outside, the bag rips because two 2 liter bottles of soda is obviously too heavy for a single bag, soda falls on my foot, I get angry, I come back inside, guess what . . . I'm not going to give the store manager a piece of my mind. I'm coming over to talk to you! Then, I'm never going to come back into this particular supermarket because I'm thinking they hire idiots to work here for peanuts. So now in an effort to save what is likely less than a penny by using only one thin, plastic, bag for clearly heavy items; the store has now lost out on having a regular customer who would have returned every week to do their shopping and spend far more than less than a penny. Now does that make sense to you?

    The cashier didn't have an answer for that. Ironically, when the roles are reversed, that same cashier would get upset if they went to pay for heavy items but saw their cashier use only one plastic bag. Yet, for some cashiers, it just doesn't register in their minds that their customers also get upset when that nonsense is pulled on them.

    A couple of examples of weird, not so funny, stingy things that supermarkets do in order to save money.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

  8. #38
    Member Monocrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    13,529

    Re: Weird/Funny/Stingy things people do to save money

    Quote Originally Posted by falcon4311 View Post
    He has actually admitted to being neurotic, bordering on OCD. I guess it's frustrating that he has these issues and yet he hasn't taken serious measures to correct his problems. He is highly intelligent but for some reason can't figure out that seeing a professional would be beneficial. I hate to say it, but I can only take hanging out with him in small doses. When I travel to BC I split my time between him and my best friend who lives in Victoria, the majority of my time with him.
    He stresses himself out over things that wouldn't bother others, I know I have a bit of a temper but I'd rather be the way I am as opposed to having the issues my friend has.
    I don't mean this in a sarcastic way at all. Trust me, when your friend hears this idea; it will make sense to him. He knows he has a problem. But he'll never see a professional to get help for it because the first thing hitting his brain is the cost of doing so. It registers with him as an added, unnecessary, expense. A waste of money. The benefits he'd get are not something he can visualize nor something he can hold in his hand. He might benefit from checking out the self-help section at his local bookstore. Since he'd never buy such a book. He can spend time sitting in the bookstore and reading it . . . For Free.
    falcon4311 likes this.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Any supermarket pulling that nonsense won't see a penny of my money. They're a business, they're out to make money. They don't give a damn about the environment. That's just an excuse to charge for a part of the shopping experience that's supposed to be free. If they could charge a fee for letting you both in and out of their automatic doors, they would! At one supermarket, the cashier put two heavy bottles of soda into one plastic bag. I called her out on that nonsense. She told me it was store policy to only use one bag unless the customer wanted them to double-bag. Really?? So the store wants to save money on the absolute, most cheapest, item in the place. Okay, I walk outside, the bag rips because two 2 liter bottles of soda is obviously too heavy for a single bag, soda falls on my foot, I get angry, I come back inside, guess what . . . I'm not going to give the store manager a piece of my mind. I'm coming over to talk to you! Then, I'm never going to come back into this particular supermarket because I'm thinking they hire idiots to work here for peanuts. So now in an effort to save what is likely less than a penny by using only one thin, plastic, bag for clearly heavy items; the store has now lost out on having a regular customer who would have returned every week to do their shopping and spend far more than less than a penny. Now does that make sense to you?

    The cashier didn't have an answer for that. Ironically, when the roles are reversed, that same cashier would get upset if they went to pay for heavy items but saw their cashier use only one plastic bag. Yet, for some cashiers, it just doesn't register in their minds that their customers also get upset when that nonsense is pulled on them.

    A couple of examples of weird, not so funny, stingy things that supermarkets do in order to save money.
    For some reason this reminds me of a scene from a film called "Anger Management". Lol

  10. #40
    Member Monocrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    13,529

    Re: Weird/Funny/Stingy things people do to save money

    Quote Originally Posted by stevend101 View Post
    For some reason this reminds me of a scene from a film called "Anger Management". Lol
    I might just check out that film.

    BTW, I know many of my neighbors recycle the plastic bags they get from supermarkets. Those bags make excellent waste basket lining. Many of my neighbors are elderly. As such, they cannot pick up a normal-sized garbage bag once it's full of trash. So, they buy smaller garbage bins or use normal size waste baskets as their kitchen garbage bin. Last time I checked, no such thing as mini garbage bags. So, my neighbors use their plastic shopping bags instead. I consider that recycling. Not in the accepted sense of the term, but still . . . Along the same lines as taking a worn out old file and converting it into a perfectly good small knife. Still counts as recycling.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •