YOU are the Superball Lottery winner! Now what? - Page 3
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: YOU are the Superball Lottery winner! Now what?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Banned

Re: YOU are the Superball Lottery winner! Now what?

I'd go hunting.
    Janne likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
    I would set up a trust and use the income to support a nationwide network of no kill animal shelters.

Jeannie
    Well, you have plenty of space and plenty of unemployed people to do that. But frankly speaking, I think the thought of spending that kind of money on a bunch of unwanted animals is crazy when there are people that feed the kids crap, live in caravans ( = mobile homes) and can not afford to see a doctor for their meical problems. Or a dentist for that decayed tooth.....

An injection is painless and cheap. Or bullet.
    ( talking about animals, not the unfortunates in the US)
    marchone and TylerDurden like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by marchone View Post
    I'd go hunting.
    What animal? Possum? Beaver?

Banned

I agree with this. Children first.
    TylerDurden likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    What animal? Possum? Beaver?
    Nah. Almost any ungulate. I'm past the trophy stage and have long been a meat hunter.

Banned

You as a chef must find it incredibly rewarding to "kill your meat", prepare it and enjoy it.

I miss hunting. The only hunting I do here is trying to run over the goddamn Iguanas.
    Joking aside, I would love to eat Beaver. The tail was considered a delicacy in Europe in the past. I have killed and eaten most animals that live in Europe.
    Including Ortolan. It was small and bony.

I'd give away most of my belongings, pay off the rent on my place for the rest of the lease and let someone who needs a hand (figuratively, maybe literally) live there for free, pay off the debts of everyone I know, establish a trust to fully fund the orphanage I'm on the board of directors for (including scholarships for all the girls - it's a girls only orphanage), then the wife and I would adopt a couple of kids and travel around the world in a beat up vintage Bronco with the family and our dog for a few years before settling in a small cabin in the cloud forests somewhere and using whatever money is left to do a bit of venture capital investing in developing countries. Maybe also buy a goat for my dog.

Ta-da.

I might also finally buy the Grand Seiko quartz I've been pseudo-lusting after.
    Statius and Chronopolis like this.

Well, you have plenty of space and plenty of unemployed people to do that. But frankly speaking, I think the thought of spending that kind of money on a bunch of unwanted animals is crazy when there are people that feed the kids crap, live in caravans ( = mobile homes) and can not afford to see a doctor for their meical problems. Or a dentist for that decayed tooth.....

Always hustling for the dentists, Janne...

I would put almost all of it into a yacht and the rest to accumulate interest to pay the crew and other costs. I would go everywhere. You don't really need a house at that point.

That's a very myopic and anthropocentric outlook, one that I completely disagree with.

While it is unfortunate that there are certainly many humans who need attention, I'd like a planet that is not comprised of only those animals that man can eat or that serve man's needs. There is beauty and majesty in nature and it would be a terribly boring and selfish world that only cared for its own ilk.

I question our meat-focused Western culture for that very reason. If you look at sustainable (meat) farming, you will see just how much harm we've caused by poor practices and how poorly we treat animals, even those that serve us. We are not that much better off when it comes to pets, either, even exotic ones. For every pet that has a home, there are thousands languishing in terrible conditions that no living thing should have to endure.

I believe that how we treat others -- not just humans, but all living things -- says a lot about us. And I, for one, would like to leave behind a world that's not entirely devoid of the occasional wildlife, or of humanity.
    Last edited by Metlin; December 3rd, 2012 at 07:43.
    Chronopolis likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information